December 16, 2017, 10:46:27 AM

Author Topic: Saturday - Day 3 Discussion  (Read 13075 times)

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
Re: Saturday - Day 3 Discussion
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2017, 08:32:55 AM »
Looked at Brian Hill stuff yesterday. Cant say what type offense Wyoming had going or how successful they were - but Hill garnered over 600 carries his last two years - which seemed a heavy load to me - and his highlight video didnt show him catching one pass. Admittedly a limited view on my part - but I thought that somewhat odd. Guess it depends what role we want him to play. I guess Monty will be the "receiving" RB - would seem natural.

From Acme Packing:

Quote:

RB Samaje Perine, Oklahoma: He’s not a burner by any means, but Perine is in that “big back” mold that the Packers have liked in the past. At 5’11” and 233, he reminds you a bit of Eddie Lacy coming out of ALabama, and he was over 1,000 rushing yards in each of his three years of college football.

RB Brian Hill, Wyoming: Hill is more of a James Starks-type, at 6’1” and 219. He also tested better, with a 4.54 40 and 7.03 cone time. Hill was one of the most productive backs in college football last year with over 1,800 rushing yards.

I mean - if that was the game plan, you can do worse than cloning those two - but you can (or could) have done better IMO as well. It's all relative. We'll see.

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2017, 08:39:58 AM »
Been reading around throw out another name.  TE Bucky Hodges.  Would be a TT type move.  Blind side us yet again.  Pick would make sense though guy is an athletic freak who will need a year to develop.  Another pick for the future.  Not an immediate need but in a deep TE class he may opt to score one.

Online SSGCujo

• HOF Member
  • Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way! G.Patton
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2017, 08:44:16 AM »
 Perine should be the pick. Can really pound the ball. The # 5 rated back by Nawrocki, ran a 4.59, 40, did 30 on the bench. Really good in pass pro. The Packers need a hammer.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2017, 08:47:29 AM »
Jake Butt is still out there.  TE not a need, but hes a good football player coming off the knee injury.

Offline dbishop

• Second String
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2017, 08:49:54 AM »

EDGE RUSHER!!!!!  PLEASE!!!!
Biegel or Lawson

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2017, 08:53:33 AM »
Jake Butt is still out there.  TE not a need, but hes a good football player coming off the knee injury.

Without the knee injury where do you (or anyone) think he'd have been ranked?

From NFL.com:

Sources Tell Us:
"He's going to be a good pro. Everyone wants Kelce, Olsen or Gronk but those are elite players. Butt is dependable and will make first downs. They all get better as blockers once they get up here." -- AFC director of scouting

NFL Comparison Zach Miller

Bottom Line:
In-line tight end with strong, natural hands and the toughness to make a living in the middle of the field as a chain-moving safety blanket. While he's shown ability to operate as an intermediate target as well, he might lack the athleticism and separation to uncover against NFL safeties and some linebackers in man coverage. Butt must improve greatly as a blocker to reach his potential as a Y tight end. However, his ability as a reliable, productive target should earn him an early starter's nod with a chance to become a solid pro.

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2017, 09:11:19 AM »
We got a guy like that already Leader.  Richard Rodgers.  Need a guy who can run the seam.  Butt isn't fast enough.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2017, 09:13:49 AM »
My GUESS for Jake Butt would have been mid to late round 2 prior to the injury.

I like Jake Butt and I cannot lie, but we need a RB and anything on defense.  Perhaps we go after Jamal Charles or a TT type back like LaGarette Blount after the draft.  We'll see.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 09:23:35 AM by The GM »

Online golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2017, 09:14:32 AM »

EDGE RUSHER!!!!!  PLEASE!!!!
Biegel or Lawson

Agree!
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2017, 09:39:10 AM »
I was real disappointed that Connor RB and Beckwith went off the board late, those two guys were high on my list.  Most of you know my feelings about the current MLB position (Slow, always out of position, can't cover TE's or backs).  We missed out on drafting some real good MLB's, one is still out there.  I really liked the DT from Auburn, but I had him on my board in the 5th rd.  He will move bodies and take up bodies and he plugs a huge hole in the middle from stopping opponents running game.  He alone with help our sad state of MLB's!!!!

Going into today, let's see who is on the board and what we have needs for.  Top of the list Pittsburgh OL Dorian Johnson, the best DB in this draft is still there Desmond King from Iowa.  Teams were so afraid at throwing at King, they didn't.  Look I am not from Iowa or Wisconsin, but I watch and attend alot of college games.  He's good for a few punt returns, too.  Alot of talk about RB, I do have Perine as a 2nd rd talent.  What round are we in?  Lawson is a very good pass rusher and perhaps we can get him with 4b.

Some other folks at the WR position, Chad Hansen from Cal reminds me alot of Jordy nelson and would be a steal if Lawson is off the board at 4b.  KD Cannon from Baylor in the fifth round reminds me alot of Donald Driver, great route runner and fearless over the middle.  I;m pretty sure Nazier jones from NC is still out there and he can play DT or DE.  Jeremy Sprinkle TE from ARK is out there as well as his WR teammate Drew Morgan.  I've been harping about LB's Biegel I like for his rush abilities and Pass coverage!  I like him in the 5th round, not before!  Anthony Walker from Northwestern, MLB is the last standing soldier at that position on my board.  Howard Wilson from Houston is another very good CB out there along with Kazee from San Diego State.  I hope the Packers Take a QB!!! Peterman is out there still, Russell from Baylor and Kelly from Miss. St.  I do like Corey Clement RB from WI in the 7th rd. or as an FA

I don't like machine gunning picks at the DB position, but more teams are putting four receivers out there and you are looking at attracting and adding more DB's so you do need talent and depth there and this was the draft to do that.   

We still need LB's, OL, RB's.

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2017, 09:42:31 AM »
Don't know if TT is willing to do this but the Jets are trying to dump salary and trade Sheldon Richardson cheap.  He is a very good DT.  Jets are asking for a 5th rd pick!

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2017, 09:55:14 AM »
I was real disappointed that Connor RB and Beckwith went off the board late, those two guys were high on my list.  Most of you know my feelings about the current MLB position (Slow, always out of position, can't cover TE's or backs).  We missed out on drafting some real good MLB's, one is still out there.  I really liked the DT from Auburn, but I had him on my board in the 5th rd.  He will move bodies and take up bodies and he plugs a huge hole in the middle from stopping opponents running game.  He alone with help our sad state of MLB's!!!!

Going into today, let's see who is on the board and what we have needs for.  Top of the list Pittsburgh OL Dorian Johnson, the best DB in this draft is still there Desmond King from Iowa.  Teams were so afraid at throwing at King, they didn't.  Look I am not from Iowa or Wisconsin, but I watch and attend alot of college games.  He's good for a few punt returns, too.  Alot of talk about RB, I do have Perine as a 2nd rd talent.  What round are we in?  Lawson is a very good pass rusher and perhaps we can get him with 4b.

Some other folks at the WR position, Chad Hansen from Cal reminds me alot of Jordy nelson and would be a steal if Lawson is off the board at 4b.  KD Cannon from Baylor in the fifth round reminds me alot of Donald Driver, great route runner and fearless over the middle.  I;m pretty sure Nazier jones from NC is still out there and he can play DT or DE.  Jeremy Sprinkle TE from ARK is out there as well as his WR teammate Drew Morgan.  I've been harping about LB's Biegel I like for his rush abilities and Pass coverage!  I like him in the 5th round, not before!  Anthony Walker from Northwestern, MLB is the last standing soldier at that position on my board.  Howard Wilson from Houston is another very good CB out there along with Kazee from San Diego State.  I hope the Packers Take a QB!!! Peterman is out there still, Russell from Baylor and Kelly from Miss. St.  I do like Corey Clement RB from WI in the 7th rd. or as an FA

I don't like machine gunning picks at the DB position, but more teams are putting four receivers out there and you are looking at attracting and adding more DB's so you do need talent and depth there and this was the draft to do that.   

We still need LB's, OL, RB's.

Am I the only guy that likes our ILB's?  Martinez had the ability to cover but had an mcl that slowed him last year.  Ryan is solid.  We have Thomas who is fast and can cover.  Also have Matthews who can slide inside.  We could add a guy for depth but see repeatedly this is a need.  Thought early in the season these guys played very well.  Then they both got dinged.  Also signed Jordan Tripp.  I can live with what we have there.  Much rather go RB, G, OLB, TE, or WR.  Still have plenty of other more critical needs IMO.  TT  should just go BPA from these position groups.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • Where are we?
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2017, 10:02:44 AM »
Don't know if TT is willing to do this but the Jets are trying to dump salary and trade Sheldon Richardson cheap.  He is a very good DT.  Jets are asking for a 5th rd pick!

Probably not....

He began both the 2015 (drug related) and 2016 (personal conduct policy) seasons serving league-imposed suspensions. One more slip-up and he could be docked significant playing time. The Jets benched him for a quarter against the Dolphins this season. NJ Advance Media learned it was because he was regularly late to meetings, although Richardson said it was a one-time incident. There was a recurring feud with teammate Brandon Marshall, too.

And if all that's not enough, Richardson is, potentially, a rent-a-player.

If a team knows they'll have a guy under contract for two, three seasons, they're willing to part with more. But Richardson's in the final year of his rookie deal. Whichever team trades for him will have to either A) Franchise tag him, B) Give him a long-term contract next season, or C) watch him walk for free.

From an article on NJ.com
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2017, 10:10:14 AM »

Am I the only guy that likes our ILB's?  Martinez had the ability to cover but had an mcl that slowed him last year.  Ryan is solid.  We have Thomas who is fast and can cover.  Also have Matthews who can slide inside.  We could add a guy for depth but see repeatedly this is a need.  Thought early in the season these guys played very well.  Then they both got dinged.  Also signed Jordan Tripp.  I can live with what we have there.  Much rather go RB, G, OLB, TE, or WR.  Still have plenty of other more critical needs IMO.  TT  should just go BPA from these position groups.

No. you're not the only one. I am quite happy giving Ryan and particularly Martinez another shot this year to get the best idea of their talent. This sounds odd if you noticed that two of my favourite guys for round one were LBs Jamal Adams and Zach Cunningham, but I envisaged them as flexible guys able to play inside and out (though both needed to add a stone in weight, and both had the physique to do that). The modern buzzword in the NFL is multiple (by which I mean multi-positional), and they fitted that
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline MTPackerFan

• Second String
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2017, 10:36:47 AM »
KD Cannon is a great route runner? Baylor runs about 3 routes on the tree. They're known for being raw route runners coming out.

And you've never seen Beckwith play if you think he'll improve our speed. Lol.

I won't even reply to the silliness of Des King being the best DB in the draft, Adams being a 5th round grade and Perine a 2nd rounder. Don't quit your day job.