September 25, 2017, 07:13:48 PM

Author Topic: The skinny on Cook  (Read 1178 times)

Offline jameslofton

• HOF Member
The skinny on Cook
« on: April 28, 2017, 11:38:10 AM »
Here are my concerns about Cook and why I hope we do not draft him:

1) He has a history of criminal activity:

two incidents early in his high school days — arrested and charged with robbery as a juvenile in 2009, and also arrested and charged with firing a weapon and possessing a weapon at an event on school property in 2010 — both of which were dropped by the prosecutors. He signed with the Seminoles but then got in trouble again before reporting to the team, with two separate incidents. First, he was charged with criminal mischief in October 2014 for his participation in a BB gun fight from June 2014 in which several vehicles were damaged. Then in July 2014, Cook was cited by the City of Tallahassee Animal Services for mistreatment of three pit bull puppies, chaining them together by the neck. Cook was found not guilty of of misdemeanor battery after being accused of punching a 21-year-old woman outside of a Tallahassee bar in June 2015. He turned himself into police and initially lied about his involvement in the incident, but he and other witnesses say Cook tried to play peacekeeper in the situation. With no clear video of the incident and testimony from only one intoxicated witness, the jury took less than 30 minutes to return its verdict.

2) He fumbles a lot

For some reason I can't find the data, but I recall it being around 13 fumbles during his 3 seasons.

3) Tested bad at combine:

Tested extremely poorly at the NFL scouting combine in some events — Cook numbers in the vertical jump (30.5 inches), 3-cone drill (7.27 seconds) and 20-yard shuttle (4.53) placed him in the bottom 10th percentile among all combine running backs dating back to 1999, per Mockdraftable. Doesn’t have blazing speed to outrun defenders to the corner.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: The skinny on Cook
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 11:55:24 AM »
Those kind of red flags, the number of them, push him toward the Tim Williams category of undraftable. Such a shame that all too often the really talented guys have big-time character flaws.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 12:44:20 PM »
I'd agree with the off-field issues.  Also several shoulder surgeries, limited in pass protection and the fumbling concerns.   However, I'd throw out every bit of the Combine performance, none of which is indicative of his on-field skills.  Watch any game and you routinely see him getting to the edge and running away from people.  His pure running/receiving talent is definitely Top 10 worthy.-- Michigan's defensive players would probably agree, they got a good look at his number and name on the back of his jersey.  So not advocating drafting him - I get the concerns, but do think he got a bad rap after the underwear olympics
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 12:47:27 PM by ThatGuy284 »

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 01:34:30 PM »
I really like Cook, but hes got red flags both on and off the field.  Shoulder, fumbles, and hangs around shady people.  Id much rather deal with Mixons ordeal.   Cook will keep GMs up at night.  Mixon, I believe is manageable with a good locker room. I REALLY like Cook, but question his longevity.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 01:36:41 PM by The GM »