September 24, 2017, 11:30:58 PM

Author Topic: Pick #238 - from Broncos - Devante Mays, RB, Utah State  (Read 871 times)

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • PackerChatters.com
Pick #238 - from Broncos - Devante Mays, RB, Utah State
« on: April 29, 2017, 03:03:26 PM »

SCHOOL: UTAH STATE | CONFERENCE: M-WEST
HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 5-10.5 / 225 | 40: 4.59

Bio:
Junior college transfer who rushed for a career-high 208 yards in the 2016 season opener before injuring his leg the following week and returning as a backup for the final four games of the season. Led the Aggies with 966 rushing yards on 165 carries and scored nine touchdowns as a junior, starting six games.

Positives:
Strong ball carrier coming off injury. Displays vision and run instincts, weaves through traffic and works to pick up positive yardage. Runs with good lean, has a burst and does not go down without a fight. Gets a lot of momentum going up the field and falls forward when tackled. Displays solid short-area quickness with the ability to make defenders miss.

Negatives:
Really not a creative ball carrier who strings several moves together over the course of a run. Lacks perimeter speed and agility. Misses blocking assignments on occasion.

Analysis:
Mays was graded as a priority free agent entering the season, a year which was cut short by injury. Hes a bigger back that can be used in a rotation if healthy.

Information from Tony Pauline - DraftAnalyst.com
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 10:45:08 PM by LMG »
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: Pick #238 - from Broncos - Devante Mays, RB, Utah State
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 01:02:17 PM »
I like that low-down power. I like how he can break and spin off tacklers, he seems to have a knack for that. He can show something of a burst, as well.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline DWhitehurst

• All Pro
Re: Pick #238 - from Broncos - Devante Mays, RB, Utah State
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 10:50:42 PM »
I'm not sure what his 40 time really is, but in article from JSOnline (http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/04/21/2017-nfl-draft-green-bay-packers-picks/100752396/)  they list it as a 4.51, with 40.5 inch vertical. Now, if these numbers are correct, thats pretty darn good speed given he's listed at 230pnds!  I love how he runs, how he takes on tacklers...better pad level than I see Williams use. (Not saying he'll be the better RB than Williams, just sayin). Might he surprise? You only wonder if his tough running style contributes not only to leg injuries, but also to concussions. Hopefully it was just bad luck. Noted for small hands, though I'm not sure if he was/is fumble prone?