September 25, 2017, 07:15:44 PM

Author Topic: Undrafted Free Agent signings  (Read 6198 times)

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
Re: Undrafted Free Agent signings
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2017, 11:20:21 PM »
We need a long snapper, punter, and a G.

Vogel probably makes the team.  Gray or Pankey guess training camp will sort that out.  Think Waters (carry over from last year sticks)  Michael Clark sure is interesting.  Project guy if he shows something he'll make the PS squad.  Little light at LB so possibly Heiman has a shot.  Honestly who knows?  The Packers don't even know yet.

So most likely is Vogel followed by Hart.  2 guys that will probably make it.  Guessing they probably keep a guard they both sound promising.  Always fun to see some of these guys step up.  It will be a very competitive TC that is for sure.

Wish the NFL would expand rosters to say 60 players.  Something they should consider.  It's a long long season.  Guys get hurt.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2017, 12:01:13 AM »
We need a long snapper, punter, and a G.

Vogel probably makes the team.  Gray or Pankey guess training camp will sort that out.  Think Waters (carry over from last year sticks)  Michael Clark sure is interesting.  Project guy if he shows something he'll make the PS squad.  Little light at LB so possibly Heiman has a shot.  Honestly who knows?  The Packers don't even know yet.

So most likely is Vogel followed by Hart.  2 guys that will probably make it.  Guessing they probably keep a guard they both sound promising.  Always fun to see some of these guys step up.  It will be a very competitive TC that is for sure.

Wish the NFL would expand rosters to say 60 players.  Something they should consider.  It's a long long season.  Guys get hurt.
Agree punter and long snapper are the most likely choices.
 Heiman is interesting, reminds me of Spencer Havner in a way. Havner spent a year at LB and the next year they switch him to TE. A number of teams wanted to sign Heiman, but wanted to switch him to FB. He wanted to stay LB and the Packers are giving him that chance.

On your 60 man roster comment, the reason that is not going to happen is competitive balance. The teams that are better at evaluating talent would hoard more talent, fielding deeper teams, leading to larger margins of victory. Leading to more empty stadiums, creating the haves and have nots. The Nfl loves that the majority of their games are decided by 4 points or less. It's good for business.

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2017, 02:41:43 AM »
Don't want to get off topic but the reason I believe they don't implement a 60 man roster is the dollars.  The NFLPA won't allow it.  The cap would have to be spread out from 53 to 60 so less money per player.  Why the players and the association would never go for it.  Guess they are going to allow another guy to come back from IR so that's a step in the right direction.  Season used to be 12 games back in the day.  Now it's 16.  It's a war of attrition. 

Anyway Vogel, Hart, and Gray.  That's my guess for UDFA's from this crop. 

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2017, 06:42:32 AM »
It's a war of attrition.

And the players (bodies) are losing IMO.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2017, 09:03:27 AM »
Actually, that attrition is exactly why teams are trying to improve their UDFA quality. The Packers seem to have the injury bug taking up residency in their workout areas. I think this year Green Bay has a ton of guys they selected as UDFA that potentially could play in the NFL and could be possible injury replacements.
To me the cheapest solution for the NFL would be to have the teams increase their PS by 5. It's a cheaper solution than increasing their team numbers and would allow for ready replacements that know the system rather than taking a guy from another team's PS who knows nothing about the playbook.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2017, 09:49:23 AM »
Don't want to get off topic but the reason I believe they don't implement a 60 man roster is the dollars.  The NFLPA won't allow it.  The cap would have to be spread out from 53 to 60 so less money per player.  Why the players and the association would never go for it.  Guess they are going to allow another guy to come back from IR so that's a step in the right direction.  Season used to be 12 games back in the day.  Now it's 16.  It's a war of attrition. 

The last time a season was 12 games was 1960, Packers roster was 39. Rosters sizes have grown with the increase in games. 

This fact from nfl history. Over time, teams’ roster sizes grew, abetting the trend. Teams went from 16 “active list” players available for play in every game in 1925 to 30 by 1938, and 40 by 1964.

My picks would be Calvin, Hart, Lunsford and Vogel. running totals so far,
Calvin 2
Hart 2
Vogel 2
Gray 1 1/2
Brown 1
Lunsford 1
Stanback 1
Pankey 1/2

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2017, 10:19:57 AM »
It's a war of attrition.

And the players (bodies) are losing IMO.
And what is crazy, for me anyways, is talk of more regular season games. Just leave it the way it is, guys can't told up to 16 and want 18.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2017, 05:43:28 PM »
And what is crazy, for me anyways, is talk of more regular season games. Just leave it the way it is, guys can't told up to 16 and want 18.

Two preseason games and 18 regular season games is not extreme. You CAN argue against it, and yes, it is a little more wear and tear on starters, but it also seems true there is more substitution these days, so 18 games is arguable, but not crazy. For starters, with only two preseason games, the guys further down the depth chart will still get the majority of the snaps, because they have to be given their turn to get proper gametime tape and assessment. There are also other ways to limit wear and tear, like, say an extra 3 more players, instead of 53,  two bye weeks instead of one, all IR players can return after a set number of weeks.

Although this is projection, I'd say that the starters currently play 16 games, plus about 1 and a bit games (preseason), plus playoffs. With an 18 game season, I'd guess they play 18 games, plus about 0.5 (preseason), plus playoffs. With two bye weeks, more returning IRs, and maybe the odd extra player or two, it shouldn't be that much more stressful, it might even be less so.

Apologies for taking this in another direction, maybe this topic needs a new thread.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2017, 06:50:31 PM »

Two preseason games and 18 regular season games is not extreme. You CAN argue against it, and yes, it is a little more wear and tear on starters, but it also seems true there is more substitution these days, so 18 games is arguable, but not crazy. For starters, with only two preseason games, the guys further down the depth chart will still get the majority of the snaps, because they have to be given their turn to get proper gametime tape and assessment. There are also other ways to limit wear and tear, like, say an extra 3 more players, instead of 53,  two bye weeks instead of one, all IR players can return after a set number of weeks.

Although this is projection, I'd say that the starters currently play 16 games, plus about 1 and a bit games (preseason), plus playoffs. With an 18 game season, I'd guess they play 18 games, plus about 0.5 (preseason), plus playoffs. With two bye weeks, more returning IRs, and maybe the odd extra player or two, it shouldn't be that much more stressful, it might even be less so.

Apologies for taking this in another direction, maybe this topic needs a new thread.
1265 in reading some of your post the last few monthes you seem to be a solid, informed poster. And this tread is certainly headed off topic, but we will need to disagree on the more games thing. You have takin a very logical approach and all makes sense, but we don't know which straw will break the camels back. When is it enough games, 18 works now lets do 20, how about 24, anyone for year round. In my opinion 16 is max, the beauty of the NFL regular season is the intensity and importants of every game. Add too many games and you have the NBA regular season, a diluted product, players with a ho-hum attitude about giving 100% on game day. That stuff is simply unwatchable. And we haven't even touch on the increased number of meaningless games.   

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • PackerChatters.com
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2017, 07:55:43 PM »

Exactly...so somebody start one please!!
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Online mikebpackfan

• All Pro
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2017, 02:09:37 PM »

I thought the cap only applied to the top X salaries on the roster?  In that case, the owners would be the ones having to fork out for the extra 7 ~$600,000 salaries, right?

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2017, 02:17:53 PM »

I thought the cap only applied to the top X salaries on the roster?  In that case, the owners would be the ones having to fork out for the extra 7 ~$600,000 salaries, right?
The Top 51 rule, which says that only each team's 51 highest salaries will count against the cap during the offseason. There will be no fudging as soon as the regular season starts, however, and teams will have to account for their entire 53-man rosters.

Back to the topic, is their any of the UDFA's that you have takin a liking to yet?

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2017, 04:19:38 PM »