November 22, 2017, 06:56:15 AM

Author Topic: Favorite and least favorite pick  (Read 4889 times)

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
Favorite and least favorite pick
« on: April 29, 2017, 08:03:23 PM »
My favorite pick is Vince Beigel, not because he's a Badger (I'm a Golden Domer), but because I think he may turn out better than TJ What. I think this kid can be a pass rusher and he's a good athlete and we got him in round 4.

Least favorite is the RB that doesn't make the team because there is no way 3 of them are making the roster.

Not going to 'rate' this draft. I'll just say TT does us right a whole lot more than not.

Who are your's?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 08:05:54 PM by golfman »
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Tony

• HOF Member
Re: Favorite and least favorite pick
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 08:10:47 PM »
I like Jones a lot - think he's just a great football talent that could really add a nice "thump" and toughness to the D.  I also love that he can cover TE's. 

I don't really have a least favorite, because I don't know enough about most of these guys.  Willing to give em all a chance first.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 08:50:38 PM by Tony »
“There’s a man going round, taking names, and he decides who to free and who to blame!”  LMG ala Johnny Cash

Offline cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 08:48:17 PM »
I also like Jones.

If he turns out to be who many think he is, he'll have been a steal in the late 2nd.

I still don't like the King pick.  Awuzie fell to Dallas at 60 - I would have loved to see us pick up another 4th rounder and picked him later in the 2nd. 

I also dislike the Williams pick.  There were some talented players selected after him from 145 - 152 that had to have been rated higher on most draft boards than Williams. 

After that?  Meh. 
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Offline pacman5252

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 08:49:22 PM »
The picks I really liked;

Just in general the scattershot approach to RB: I feel like between Williams, Jones, and Mays we'll get 1 or 2 players who can contribute. I really like Jones and how he runs (seems like he can be effective on third down, hopefully he has enough size to play specials). From watching Mays, I'm a little down on (seems slow)

Jones- It looks like he can play all over. I wouldn't  be surprised he is plays some LB on third down.

The picks I didn't like;

Biegel. I thought with the 1st pick in the 4th we could have gotten a higher upside guy who could be a good pass rusher (Carl Lawson), a better RB, or OL prospect. I think Biegel will be alright, (special teams, effort plug and play guy, like a Zombo), but I don't think he has legit starter upside.

Yancey: I know he played to Purdue, but he never had real production, drop issues. Then throw in we don't have a lot of space at WR. Assuming we keep 6, Cobb, Adams, Nelson are locks. Janis probably makes it for special teams.That leaves Allison, Davis, Yancey,  Dupree, and UDFA fighting for spot 5-6. I don't think any of those guys are KR/PRs too.

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 08:51:51 PM »
Favorite pick is Jones.  Didn't expect it but once I read up on him I am excited.

Least favorite well 2 of them Mays and Dupre.  I don't think either of them makes the roster.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 08:55:22 PM »
I liked their first 3 picks equally TBH. I had Adams on my watch list for a while. I can see why he was available, but I'm surprised he was there.

With my least favorite pick being a 7th rounder, Devante Mays, I am pretty happy with that being the case.

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 09:12:30 PM »
I think he may turn out better than TJ What.

Huh?

What is a TJ What?

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 09:18:35 PM »
Biegel. I thought with the 1st pick in the 4th we could have gotten a higher upside guy who could be a good pass rusher (Carl Lawson), a better RB, or OL prospect. I think Biegel will be alright, (special teams, effort plug and play guy, like a Zombo), but I don't think he has legit starter upside.

Zombo is an awful comp for VB... The other extreme would be me saying VB is like Mathews (which he kinda is).

VB is a considerably better athlete than Zombo. VB was very productive his sophomore and junior seasons. He probably would have had double digit sacks last year if he didn't hurt his shoulder.

Offline MO.Pack

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 09:30:14 PM »
Favorites would be King and Jones. Big athletic dudes.  TT's miss 2 years ago makes him have to repeat two D. backs this year.
Randall is a safety and never will turn out to be a corner IMO.
Least fav is Yancy.  Biegel could have been probably had later in round 4, or if not equal value with someone else.
I like J. Williams as a running back but think Perine has more upside, and would have preferred him there at the top of the 4th.

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 09:34:07 PM »
My favorite "pick" was the process of leveraging the 29th pick into King and VB- that is fantastic value!

My least favorite thing was the triple dip at RB and double dip at WR; but, I kinda like the moves now... I"m not a draft-nick anymore, so I don't know these late round guys. My first reaction to the five players picked at RB & WR was an unathusiastic yawn to all five guys... However, after going through my due dilligence with the five guys, I like 'em!

The triple dip at RB is interesting because all three players offer different skill sets... After looking into the players, my opinion changed the most with Mays. I wanted Perine  with the first pick in round 4, Mays skill set is that of a more athletic Mays... If Mays didn't get hurt last year, he could have been a day two pick.

I was very unimpressed with the double dip at WR- I thought they were a couple bigger 4.55 guys that would 5th or 6th WR type players...  They'll still probably be 5th & 6th type guys, but they're much better physically than I originally gave them credit for- they're athletic, sub 4.5 guys and play like it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 09:39:20 PM by Donzo »

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2017, 09:36:42 PM »
TT's miss 2 years ago makes him have to repeat two D. backs this year.

Really?

Let me ask, were you calling them a miss a year ago? And, were you calling Adams a miss this time last year?

Offline MO.Pack

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2017, 10:25:45 PM »
That's a fair question Donzo, with Randall and Rollins being hurt most of last year that obviously had an effect on how they played.  This is a what have you done for me lately league, and with TT not wanting to pay Hayward and losing Shields, the depth was not good so they had to be out there hurt and exposed.  Adams had a sophomore slump, it happens but he showed up last year which was great.  Hope R and R have a great season and this season will answer a lot more of our questions.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • Where are we?
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2017, 11:04:51 PM »
That's a fair question Donzo, with Randall and Rollins being hurt most of last year that obviously had an effect on how they played. 

Most won't bring that up in their negative conversation because it doesn't support their agenda.

They actually believe injuries don't factor into performance.  crazy)
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2017, 11:14:26 PM »
It cant be said conclusively that DR and Rollins were "misses". Bad 2016 - no question - but injuries and lack of replacements played into that. 2017 will be tell the tale. It dismayed me that we needed to designate high draft picks to the Secondary again - but (as mentioned elsewhere) that not soley because of DR/Rollins performance. We needed to replace Shields - our true #1 - which didnt happen last year. 

I like both King and Jones - and am eager to see how 6'3 matches up against NFL WR'rs. It's getting like basketball out there.
It sounds like Jones is a stud and he'll have a future with the GBP's.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2017, 11:28:50 PM »
No question my favorite is Kevin King.  Ive watched him for 4 years in the stands at Washington.  He'll be tested early with Julio Jones, AJGreen, and Dez Bryant on the schedule.  He'll make mistakes, but I have no doubt hes going to be a top DB.

Least Favorite -  Beigel.  I think hes a dime a dozen LB in the NFL.  He's JAG to me and I hope he proves me wrong.