September 26, 2017, 07:58:11 AM

Author Topic: Favorite and least favorite pick  (Read 4310 times)

Offline Still Cheesy

• Second String
Re: Favorite and least favorite pick
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2017, 01:02:35 AM »
My favorite is probably King. It's just a pick that makes sense on a lot of levels.

For least favorite, it's tough to pinpoint a specific one. I understand the rationale of all of the guys through the fourth round (for those saying Biegel could probably have been had later, say what you want about McGinn, but his top 100 board is usually among the most accurate in the business as far as who actually gets picked within the top 100. Biegel was on it. You could make a case he actually went a little lower than expected. Oh, and Lawson wasn't. Maybe his fall shouldn't have been as surprising as it seemed). After that, I can't say I even looked at most of the guys enough to form an opinion before the draft. I guess the most negative impression from this draft for me, though, is that, outside of running back, the linebacker corps might have been the shallowest group heading into the draft. Only getting one guy seems like a missed opportunity. I know the pass rushers thinned out by the end of round four, but I was fully expecting them to take a chance on some athletic small school inside linebacker in the later rounds. Hopefully Heiman ends up being that guy anyway, but depth still seems to be a concern there.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2017, 04:58:53 AM »
There wasn't one pick I got very excited over. It doesn't mean I thought it was a bad draft by the Packers, just that they got none of the guys I really liked.

Barnett was never likely to fall as far as #29. Conley went before the Packers first pick, as did Jarrad Davis and Evan Engram. I liked Elflein and Pocic with the Packers 3rd pick, but they had both gone by then (Pocic mid 2nd, Elflein mid 3rd).  CB Langley went waaaay early in the 3rd (thought he'd be a 5th). Guard Jordan Morgan (tagged for the Packers 5th) went too early in the 3rd pick of round 5. DE/OLB Ejuan Price lasted until three picks before the Packers first seventh round pick, I guess he fell that far because of his pectpral injuries - I would have liked him with a comp 5th or 6th. My late round gem, tiny RB Tarik Cohen (who would be used as a returner),  also went much earlier than i thought, the Bears in the mid 4th round.

This is the eternal problem of following the prospects for months before the draft. You have your favourites, so it disappointing when they are not taken, which to be honest is very likely. The one guy I did have in numerous fanspeak mocks was RB Jamaal Williams, who the Packers got almost where I would have expected, a late 4th (I thought he'd go somewhere in the 5th).

Thinking about it, really liking certain guys is not how you should look at things. If you really like them (at a certain point in the draft), then they should probably be rated higher, at a point where you like all the guys around them equally. Not surprising then, that so many of the guys I liked, went earlier than I wanted them too. Ah well.

One thing I do look forward to, is the training camp battles in the secondary. That should be a fun competition as they sort themselves out. I also would like to see Montravious Adams at work on the D line, I want to see if he can bring the kind of heat he did during Senior Bowl week.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 05:08:03 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2017, 07:06:27 AM »
TT's miss 2 years ago makes him have to repeat two D. backs this year.

Really?

Let me ask, were you calling them a miss a year ago? And, were you calling Adams a miss this time last year?

Never! I was Adams' biggest champion. Obviously, this was not directed at me, but it really does feel so good to be right when you've committed to a bold statement.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 07:07:00 AM by claymaker »

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2017, 07:25:59 AM »
TT's miss 2 years ago makes him have to repeat two D. backs this year.

Really?

Let me ask, were you calling them a miss a year ago? And, were you calling Adams a miss this time last year?

Never! I was Adams' biggest champion.
Obviously, this was not directed at me, but it really does feel so good to be right when you've committed to a bold statement.

I can vouch to this statement. You're goals for him as a rookie were quite aggressive but he's turned out great. I want him extended.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Bama Pack Fan

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2017, 07:55:25 AM »
Favorite:  Adams and Amichia.   Really like what the Pack has done this offseason with DL and OL.  Had hoped Tomlinson would slip to us, but Adams can be very exciting.  Should fit well in DL rotation and Daniels can keep a fire lit under him.

Least Favorite:  Mays.  Understand the need to get RB talent, but thought ILB would get some attention.  Looking forward to seeing UDFAs.

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2017, 08:15:26 AM »
That's a fair question Donzo, with Randall and Rollins being hurt most of last year that obviously had an effect on how they played.  This is a what have you done for me lately league, and with TT not wanting to pay Hayward and losing Shields, the depth was not good so they had to be out there hurt and exposed.  Adams had a sophomore slump, it happens but he showed up last year which was great.  Hope R and R have a great season and this season will answer a lot more of our questions.

OK, fair enough...

Looking at the secondary, I see a couple of reasons TT went CB/S 1/2 besides R&R's sophomore slumps... From last years opening day roster, the Packers lost Shields and Hyde- they've been replaced... And, Burnett is in the last year of his 2nd contract... Then there's the whole BPA thing. King and Jones had good value at 33/61.

Offline cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2017, 09:27:11 AM »
http://packersnotes.com/2017/04/production-rules-on-day-3-for-packers/

This guy is as cynical as I am - probably more.  But I trust his opinion because he doesn't give one until he watches game film.  He gives a better impression of our day 3 picks than I originally had.  Overall - Day 3 players were better on tape than they tested unlike the Day 2 guys. 

I found this one particularly interesting:
WR MALACHI DUPRE Ė Of the 17 players drafted in the seventh round by Thompson, the former LSU star is far and away the most talented. While Dupre didnít run a great 40 at the Combine (4.52), heís nevertheless a legit deep threat. Thatís because he gets to full speed in a hurry, makes great in-air adjustments and uses his size (6í2 1/2) to catch balls at a higher point than defenders can reach. Heíll need to work on his route running, but that part of his game should improve with experience and pro coaching. Itís rare to feel confident about the chances of a player drafted so late making the 53, but this ainít a typical late-round pick.
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Online Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2017, 10:11:09 AM »
Before I give my favorite and least favorite players I want to say this....TT swapped either the Watt or King pick for King and Beigel. I would say that's pretty good at this point.

Least favorite pick, not least talented, would have been Adams. I'm not sure if he's all in right now as a football player. I love what he can do, just don't love his consistency. I want him to be a Daniels and not a Thornton.

Most favorite is the RB from UT. State, Devante Mays. Last night one of my friends called and asked if I had seen his email. I opened it and in it was film clips of Mays. He is a football scout wannabe so he actually watches a lot of film. He's been right on many picks, loves Jones in the second, but He said if Mays is healthy...he is Eddie Lacy with moves. He's short on pass-blocking (didn't do it a lot in school) and pass catching, but will wear down the defense in the 4th qtr. His lower body, like Lacy, is extremely developed.
I watched the clips and have to agree, I'm saying Mays is my favorite.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2017, 11:19:08 AM »
http://packersnotes.com/2017/04/production-rules-on-day-3-for-packers/

This guy is as cynical as I am - probably more.  But I trust his opinion because he doesn't give one until he watches game film.  He gives a better impression of our day 3 picks than I originally had.  Overall - Day 3 players were better on tape than they tested unlike the Day 2 guys. 

I found this one particularly interesting:
WR MALACHI DUPRE Ė Of the 17 players drafted in the seventh round by Thompson, the former LSU star is far and away the most talented. While Dupre didnít run a great 40 at the Combine (4.52), heís nevertheless a legit deep threat. Thatís because he gets to full speed in a hurry, makes great in-air adjustments and uses his size (6í2 1/2) to catch balls at a higher point than defenders can reach. Heíll need to work on his route running, but that part of his game should improve with experience and pro coaching. Itís rare to feel confident about the chances of a player drafted so late making the 53, but this ainít a typical late-round pick.

More on Dupre:

Zach Kruse‏Verified account @zachkruse2  40m40 minutes ago
More
 Malachi Dupre can run, jump and track the ball in the air. Great going vertical and in the red zone. 7th round? What am I missing here?

More and more people are checking in on this guy and the consensus is fairly clear.  If you watch the film, LSU's offense is Fournette.  Their QB is absolutely terrible.  It sure looks like that was tough on Dupre, as he never knew if the ball would be where it was supposed to be or if it would be there on time.  What it did do was highlight his ability to adjust to just about any ball thrown possible.  Turn on the film and you'll see him contort his body in about every possible way.  A junior coming out who was told to stay another year.  Didn't, knowing the mess of an offense that he was in and his QB situation.  Wanted to get his career started.  Reminds me a bit of David Bahktiari in that sense.

Now.  You're going to think I'm crazy with this comp that I have in my mind.  Before you say anything, please - watch the film. 

The way he runs, the way that he catches the ball reminds me of an all-time great receiver who tormented us for years.  Just watch how he adjusts to the ball.  Watch how he high-points the ball.  Watch his hand placement.

Everything but speed is quite similar.
6'3" - 200 lbs vs. 6'4" 210 lbs
4.5 40 yard dash vs. 4.25 40 yard dash
39.5" vertical vs. 39" vertical
Eerily similar build. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8_agldf20k

Does anybody else see what I see? 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 11:21:22 AM by cheech »
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2017, 11:27:22 AM »
Didnt know who he was until yesterday - but after watching videos of him - I like him. As I mentioned on a different thread he was highpointing the ball real well - tracking over the shoulder passes just fine - and catching alot of TD's. Whats not to like?

Btw - who's the WR that tormented us for years? You thinking Randy?

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2017, 11:50:04 AM »
Yes he's comparing him to Moss.  Moss was a 4.25 guy.  Probably the greatest WR of all time IMO.  Maybe this kid will develop into something we'll see if he can even crack the 53 for starters.  Comparing him to Moss well think that's a little off the reservation.  Since he was one of my least favorite picks odds are he'll be pretty good. Just watched the tape.  He does have the exact same build.  Looks just like Randy.  Too bad he doesn't have that elite speed.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 12:03:06 PM by scoremore »

Bama Pack Fan

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2017, 01:17:23 PM »
Dupre doesn't have Moss' speed and M. Bennett probably won't give up jersey #80, but he could get some good advice from another Packer 7th round WR.  Maybe take up ballroom dancing too.

Offline DWhitehurst

• All Pro
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2017, 01:34:35 PM »
Favorite: Aaron Jones
Least Favorite: Yancey (but hope I'm wrong of course)

Not sure I would've triple-dipped at RB, but I get the rationale with getting Mays to compete with Williams to make sure we have a decent inside pounder to complement Ty Montgomery going into the season, and Jones to compete with Christian Michael.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 01:51:05 PM by DWhitehurst »

Offline Fargofootball

• Starter
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2017, 02:43:25 PM »
Jones is my favorite pick
NOT taking Desmond King is MY least favorite pick.
The kid will be a player.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2017, 04:03:44 PM »
Donít really have a favorite pick.  Didn't mind the selection of King though I am not a fan of picking a guy based purely on athletic measurables.  Love the value they got with Dupre in the 7th as I believe heís more talented than that draft position would indicate.

Least favorite pick was probably the safety in the second.  Iíve got nothing against the player, more the position that was selected.  He could very well be a player who never stats for GB because he canít beat out the guy in front of him.  Maybe I like the pick a little more if I know Burnett or HHCD arenít going to be extended, but thatís an unknown.  The pick reminds me of last yearís second round pick, one made for pure depth that doesnít in any way help the offense on a play by play basis. 

I don't hate the pick but I'm not the biggest fan of the Adams selection either.  He's played a bunch over his college career but was really underwhelming up until this year.  He's also not a player who's shown a consistent effort or motor which is a tad bit concerning.  Would have rather seen this selection used on an OLB.

Iíd have liked a substantially bigger investment put the OLB position.  I donít mind the value they got with Beigel in the 4th, but heís a pretty underwhelming prospect.  Unless Perry and CM3 play substantially more snaps than they did last year, weíre going to have major issues at OLB.  Peppers and Jones played over 55% of our defensive snaps a piece and our depth at the position now that theyíve left is horrid.
Act your age, not your shoe size.