September 25, 2017, 07:16:37 PM

Author Topic: Packers Dangled Hundley on Day 2  (Read 3141 times)

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
Re: Packers Dangled Hundley on Day 2
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2017, 03:05:58 PM »
I found out from a reliable source over at Football's Future that this story is bunk.  The poster is known as Palmy and he is a scout for the Steelers and a Packers fan.
Rob Demovsky at ESPN said it did happen.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2017, 03:08:30 PM »
That is assuming any team would pay Hundley starter money.   He'd have to prove himself first.  Too early to say he'd have to test the FA market and see what kind of offers he received before the Packers would be able to sign him back.  At least one would think.  There is no guarantee any team would give him a starting gig as it stands now.

If Brock Osweiler or Matt Flynn got starter money It wouldn't put it past any team to pay Hundley low end starter money when he's an UFA.  Heck, Chicago just signed Mike Glennon to a 3 year 45 million dollar contract.  Brian Hoyer is making 6 Million a year on a 2 year deal.  Assuming Hundley has a quality preseason, I don't think he'll have any issue finding a low end starting or high end back up contract.
All those QB's you stated had alreadt started games in the NFL before getting their deals.  Hundley has not. Big difference.

Mike Glennon was a two year starter for TB, so let's sop pointing to hinm as evidence Hundley will get a ton of money thrown at him.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 03:10:31 PM by cpk1994 »

Online golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2017, 03:31:01 PM »
That is assuming any team would pay Hundley starter money.   He'd have to prove himself first.  Too early to say he'd have to test the FA market and see what kind of offers he received before the Packers would be able to sign him back.  At least one would think.  There is no guarantee any team would give him a starting gig as it stands now.

clap)

Brian Hoyer just got 8 million a year. If Hundley doesn't believe in himself enough to go out and TRY to be a starter after 2019, then he's not that good. As for 'giving' him a starting gig. Who said he would be given anything? He has a decent preseason his arrow will be pointing up and 'Hoyer' money when he hits the market will be easily accessible to him. The Packers aren't going to pay him that to be a back-up.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2017, 05:41:51 PM »
Hoyer money?  He would have to start at least a few regular season games first.  Again he has zero regular season experience.  Think some team is going to come along and offer 8 mil/yr based on preseason play?  That's an awfully big risk for a complete unknown. 

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2017, 04:05:43 PM »

If Brock Osweiler or Matt Flynn got starter money It wouldn't put it past any team to pay Hundley low end starter money when he's an UFA.  Heck, Chicago just signed Mike Glennon to a 3 year 45 million dollar contract.  Brian Hoyer is making 6 Million a year on a 2 year deal.  Assuming Hundley has a quality preseason, I don't think he'll have any issue finding a low end starting or high end back up contract.

Those other guys had regular season starting experience.  Hundley does not.  Right now complete unknown and preseason doesn't count for squat.  Just saying.  Why right now he had no trade value.  High end back up contract maybe.  But if he does that why not with the Pack?

Matt Flynn had what, one NFL start?  Not all starting experience is good starting experience.  Aaron Rodgers had never made a NFL start and looked really mediocre in his chances before he was handed the keys in Green Bay.  Just saying.

High end back money is 4.5-5.5 million a year.  I see little to no chance of Green Bay paying that.  If you are right and Hundley is bad enough that he's not worth a single draft pick then he surely isn't worth a contract in that range.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 04:07:17 PM by SSG »
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2017, 05:33:46 PM »
Flynn did pay in more than just the Det game.  But he also set a packer record for most TD passes in that game.  It made him a lot of money.  I personally like Hundley a lot.  Double edge sword on the guy.  On one hand it would be great to showcase his talents and get some trade value back for him.  On the other hand it means Rodgers can't go and no one wants that.  If given the opportunity to get extensive playing time in the regular season it's my bet he'd be a pretty good player.  Franchise?  Probably not but a good dependable starter.  The Packer's would never dish out 5/yr.  That's too rich for a back up.  3-3.5/yr is doable though.  It's always fun to talk about it.  See how the season goes.  If he doesn't see the field Packers best bet is to keep him under contract and let him play out his 4th year.  We'll get back a comp at least if he does go on and sign a decent contract elsewhere.  If he starts a few games and plays well we could be looking at anywhere from a 2 to a 4 for him as possible trade value.  Next year is supposed to be the year of the QB so he may not end up getting traded anyway.   Unless the Packers can return at least 3 it probably be better to keep him on the roster for that last year and just accept the comp when he signs elsewhere. 

Online cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2017, 08:25:16 PM »
 :)

I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2017, 07:49:51 AM »
Matt Flynn had what, one NFL start?  Not all starting experience is good starting experience.  Aaron Rodgers had never made a NFL start and looked really mediocre in his chances before he was handed the keys in Green Bay.  Just saying.

High end back money is 4.5-5.5 million a year.  I see little to no chance of Green Bay paying that.  If you are right and Hundley is bad enough that he's not worth a single draft pick then he surely isn't worth a contract in that range.
Flynn had multiple starts. He started against New England in 2010 where he largely outplayed Tom Brady.,

Aaron Rodgers was on his rookie deal and already on the team for several years. He also had the game against Dallas where he came in the game cold and early led them to a comeback win from a huge hole that Favre left him in. That isn't the same as as giving a guy millions as a free agent despite never having played a meaningful snap in the league.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 07:51:51 AM by cpk1994 »

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2017, 09:13:39 AM »
With all due respect to Matt Flynn, he's yesterday's news. I dont see the Flynn/Hundley equation working because Hundley's not gotten the field time Flynn got before moving on (and cashing in....) - and QB economics have changed drastically.

On December 19, 2010, Flynn made his first NFL start against the New England Patriots after starting quarterback Aaron Rodgers was not cleared medically to start. Flynn threw three touchdown passes;  The Packers lost the game 3127. Flynn completed 23 of 37 passes for 254 yards in the loss. On January 1, 2012, Flynn started the final game of the season against the Detroit Lions. He threw for 480 yards and 6 touchdowns in the 4541 victory, both of which set single game Green Bay Packers records.

Flynn was brought in to SEA to compete for the starting job: On March 18, 2012, Flynn signed a three-year deal with the Seattle Seahawks worth $20.5 million, with $9 million guaranteed.

Mike Glennon just signed a three year deal with CHI for 45million - 18-20Million guaranteed.

I think comparison to more current NFL players (and current QB salary levels) is more accurate.

Offline skcusICH

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2017, 10:37:25 PM »
While Hundley won't get big money without showing something during some real playing time, he will get a chance to compete as a starter somewhere. That chance will almost certainly come at more than a tiny contract, and probably more than the Packers would pay him as a backup. He's shown tremendous strides since rookie mini camp. The comfort level, ball placement, and foot work have been a night and day difference. Scouts see those things, they aren't secrets in the NFL. There is strong enough belief that he has what it takes to at least compete for a starting job. He will get his chance whether he's traded or goes to free agency. Whether he succeeds with that chance is always an unknown.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2017, 12:51:19 PM »
Agree. 

Hundley would be nuts to sign extension with Packers.  His is the case FA is especially appropriate for.  He's blocked; FA will free him.  If Rodgers stays healthy, Hundley may not have enough opportunity to get a rich contract first try.  But he'll certainly have the opportunity to look for a team that has an opening.  He'd be nuts not to wait, select a spot that gives him a chance, and try to seize that opportunity. 

Whether he ever wins a starting spot, and then performs well enough to keep it, who knows.  But he'd be nuts not to wait and at least take a shot at being a starter. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2017, 01:00:22 PM »
When he hits free agency he should direct his agent to negotiate a 2 yr deal so he can prove himself and then cash in.
If I were in his shoes that's what I would do.

Offline Big Lou

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2017, 12:26:39 PM »
This is as good of a thread as any to go with this thought, but since we know that a) Hundley was being shopped possibly for a day 2/early day 3 pick and b) Sheldon Richardson is being shopped for about the same asking price, would a deal involving those be of any interest for both teams?  NYJ did not draft a QB and are rolling with a depth chart of McCown/Pett/Hackenberg, and seem motivated to move Richardson and his $8M salary with the depth they have on the D Line. 

Challenges for GB in that situation is working out an extension with Richardson (if he's a guy they want anyways) and having to also shell out more money to sign a capable backup QB (maybe Kaeparnick).

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2017, 03:44:24 PM »
This is as good of a thread as any to go with this thought, but since we know that a) Hundley was being shopped possibly for a day 2/early day 3 pick and b) Sheldon Richardson is being shopped for about the same asking price, would a deal involving those be of any interest for both teams?  NYJ did not draft a QB and are rolling with a depth chart of McCown/Pett/Hackenberg, and seem motivated to move Richardson and his $8M salary with the depth they have on the D Line. 

Challenges for GB in that situation is working out an extension with Richardson (if he's a guy they want anyways) and having to also shell out more money to sign a capable backup QB (maybe Kaeparnick).

If they signed Krapernick I would burn all my Packer gear and become a Patriots fan. I would become the most toxic, anti-TT, and anti-everything Packers this site has ever seen. Not even kidding.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 03:45:25 PM by claymaker »

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2017, 04:51:41 PM »

If they signed Krapernick I would burn all my Packer gear and become a Patriots fan. I would become the most toxic, anti-TT, and anti-everything Packers this site has ever seen. Not even kidding.

Second that...