November 18, 2017, 06:01:10 AM

Author Topic: The post draft mock - post your try here.  (Read 825 times)

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
The post draft mock - post your try here.
« on: May 02, 2017, 04:33:17 PM »
Think you could have picked better than TT ? Put down your effort here. There are just two rules.

You can only pick guys who are still available at, or after, the Packers pick.
You can choose to make the trade out of the first round, or not. If you don't make the trade, remember you get no pick at the top of round 4.

Here is an example - with no trade back.....

1 ILB Reuben Foster
2 OLB Jordan Willis
3 CB Cordrea Tankersly
4 WR Chad Hansen
5 RB Aaron Jones
5 LB Ejuan Price
6 DT Elijah Qualls
7 RB Davante Mays
7 TE Cole Hikutini
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 04:53:02 PM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
Re: The post draft mock - post your try here.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 05:20:24 PM »
Here is mine.  I'd have liked to see a much bigger investment made into OLB.  I was told that I value OLB too much and that a pass rush isn't all that important and I simply don't agree.

1. TJ Watt OLB WI or Tyrus Bowser OLB Houston- IMO, given the depth at CB in this draft, I'd have rather seen us take a edge rusher with the first pick.  Both Watt and Bowser are all around OLBs who's best football is in front of them. I don't think we have replacements for either Peppers or Jones on our roster and Perry/ CM3 are 2 of the most injury prone OLBs in the NFL.

2. Ahkello Witherspoon, CB CO - When comparing him to King, their a lot alike.  He's every bit as athletic, he's the same height and he's longer.  He also played at just as high of a level in the same conference (he was second team PAC12 while King was honorable mention).  He lead the country in pass break ups while having one of 5 lowest completion percentages against.  If you go back and watch the Pac12 championship, he handled John Ross who's going to be one of the fastest players in the NFL next year.  Really smart (pre-med before he got to CO) and coachable kid.  Here are objective draft profiles for both players from the same site.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-pff-scouting-report-kevin-king-cb-washington/
https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-pff-scouting-report-ahkello-witherspoon-cb-colorado/

3. Trey Hendrickson OLB Florida Atlantic or Vince Biegel OLB WI- I'd have liked a bigger investment into OLB.  I didn't mind the Biegel selection or where they got him but IO don't want to depend on him to play 50-55% of our defensive snaps.  Hendrickson was the most productive edge rusher in college football last year.  He's explosive off the edge and could turn into a quality pass rusher.  He's got work to do in run support though.

4. Desmond King CB/ S Iowa- Here is the replacement for Hyde.  One of the best and most instinctive CBs in college football last year.  He probably transitions to Safety in the NFL but this is tremendous value.  He doesn't have the size or athleticism that Jones has but he was an entirely different caliber of college football player.  Not only was he a ball hawk (24 INTs in 3 years) but he was a great return man.

5. Aaron Jones RB UTEP- Liked this this Thompson pick.  He was a really productive RB who was a big play machine at UTEP. 

5. Robert Davis WR, George State- He's got Jeff Janis-esk type of size and athletic ability but he's further along as a WR.

6. Kofi Amichia, C/G South Florida- Another Thompson pick I liked. He's your prototypical Thompson/ McCarthy do everything lineman.

7. Devante Mays, RB Utah State- Another Thompson pick I liked.  Here is the banger the offense is missing.  The guy who can extend  drives and wear down defenses late.

7. Malachi Dupre, WR LSU- Common theme with the above 2 selections.  Great value here.  He played in a run first offense with a terrible QB.  Was once the best WR coming out of high school who's a really good athlete with really solid hands.  IMO, he's a better WR than his draft position would indicate. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 05:48:24 PM by SSG »
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 09:32:31 PM »
Here is mine.  I'd have liked to see a much bigger investment made into OLB.  I was told that I value OLB too much and that a pass rush isn't all that important and I simply don't agree.

1. TJ Watt OLB WI or Tyrus Bowser OLB Houston- IMO, given the depth at CB in this draft, I'd have rather seen us take a edge rusher with the first pick.  Both Watt and Bowser are all around OLBs who's best football is in front of them. I don't think we have replacements for either Peppers or Jones on our roster and Perry/ CM3 are 2 of the most injury prone OLBs in the NFL.
thumbsup)

2. Ahkello Witherspoon, CB CO - When comparing him to King, their a lot alike.  He's every bit as athletic, he's the same height and he's longer.  He also played at just as high of a level in the same conference (he was second team PAC12 while King was honorable mention).  He lead the country in pass break ups while having one of 5 lowest completion percentages against.  If you go back and watch the Pac12 championship, he handled John Ross who's going to be one of the fastest players in the NFL next year.  Really smart (pre-med before he got to CO) and coachable kid.  Here are objective draft profiles for both players from the same site.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-pff-scouting-report-kevin-king-cb-washington/
https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-pff-scouting-report-ahkello-witherspoon-cb-colorado/
 thumbsup)

3. Trey Hendrickson OLB Florida Atlantic or Vince Biegel OLB WI- I'd have liked a bigger investment into OLB.  I didn't mind the Biegel selection or where they got him but IO don't want to depend on him to play 50-55% of our defensive snaps.  Hendrickson was the most productive edge rusher in college football last year.  He's explosive off the edge and could turn into a quality pass rusher.  He's got work to do in run support though.
(Montravious Adams....I liked this pick)

4. Desmond King CB/ S Iowa- Here is the replacement for Hyde.  One of the best and most instinctive CBs in college football last year.  He probably transitions to Safety in the NFL but this is tremendous value.  He doesn't have the size or athleticism that Jones has but he was an entirely different caliber of college football player.  Not only was he a ball hawk (24 INTs in 3 years) but he was a great return man.
(Tarik Cohen......the next Darron Sproles.........kick/punt returner too)

5. Aaron Jones RB UTEP- Liked this this Thompson pick.  He was a really productive RB who was a big play machine at UTEP.
(Ukeme Eligwe, ILB, Georgia Southern.............speedy ILB. Had him in my personal mock) 

5. Robert Davis WR, George State- He's got Jeff Janis-esk type of size and athletic ability but he's further along as a WR.
   thumbsup)

6. Kofi Amichia, C/G South Florida- Another Thompson pick I liked. He's your prototypical Thompson/ McCarthy do everything lineman.
 thumbsup)

7. Devante Mays, RB Utah State- Another Thompson pick I liked.  Here is the banger the offense is missing.  The guy who can extend  drives and wear down defenses late.
 thumbsup)

7. Malachi Dupre, WR LSU- Common theme with the above 2 selections.  Great value here.  He played in a run first offense with a terrible QB.  Was once the best WR coming out of high school who's a really good athlete with really solid hands.  IMO, he's a better WR than his draft position would indicate.
(Hunter Dimick, DE/OLB, Utah..........perfect backup to Nick Perry)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 09:35:48 PM by dannobanano »

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 04:07:49 AM »
Hey ! a Tarik Cohen fan. I was quite shocked to see him go in round 4........to the Bears.   facepalm) 
I would have really liked to have seen the Packers pick him up (but not this high).

Worth mentioning that if Watt was taken in round 1 there was no trade back, so Cohen would be gone when the Packers picked in the 4th round (no early 4th pick for the Packers, if they stay at #29 in round 1).
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 04:11:11 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

Offline PackerYakker

• All Pro
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 07:42:26 PM »
2.  SS   Josh Jones  - all the high-quality safety prospects were likely gone by 64. Not so for the CB position. The defense needed quality players at both CB and S to improve. Jones is a complete prospect.
2.  CB   Ahkello Witherspoon  - fluid athlete with great size, speed and respectable cover skills.
3.  LB   Carl Lawson - medical be damned, he's a solid edge prospect.
4.  RB   Brian Hill  - a fine, do-it-all RB who'll now be a pest with ATL
4.  OT   Adam Bisnowaty  - combative tackle with the feet to play RG.
5.  WR  Robert Davis -  Size, speed, ball skills, plenty to work with.
5.  DT   Elijah Qualls  all the makings of a solid 2-down player.
6.  WR  Malachi Dupree - enough talent for the 4th round.
7.  LB   Devonte Fields - legitimate edge tools with a sizable off-field blemish.
7.  C     Jon Toth - a tallish C prospect to fill the backup role

Key differences with the GM:

CB: Witherspoon vs. King  - Both possess press-friendly, physical tools, but Witherspoon looks smoother and isn't as grabby as King. Neither tackle well, though King gets a B+ for effort. Both will have some trouble playing off. Looks like similar floors and ceilings.

EDGE: Lawson/Fields vs. Biegel - Hard to see Beigel as a quality NFL edge rusher. If/when healthy, Lawson's the more explosive player.

RB: Hill vs. Williams/Jones, etc. - Not sure what they like about Williams, looks like he's playing on a pair of high ankle sprains. Hill is more versatile and just as hard a runner.

WR: Davis vs. Yancey - The stocky Yancey isn't particularly fast, explosive or sudden. Davis has better tools/upside, with comparable ball skills and RAC ability. 

DT: Qualls vs. Adams - Adams is the superior prospect, but until he proves he can do something vs. pass, he's just a solid 2-down DT, whose value won't greatly exceed other respectable players in that category.

OL: Bisnowaty/Toth vs. Amicia - Though he has an ideal build for OG, Amicia's quicks are seriously lacking, even for the G position. Bisnowaty has his own limitations, but was the far better OT and should be the better OG. 

Offline davekenya

• All Pro
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 04:56:27 PM »
So far...only PackerYakker would have made the same trade down as TT did -- 29 to 33 and get  the 1st in the 4th.
Others would have stayed put and taken Watt (2) or Foster (1).  Interesting.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 05:33:28 PM »
So far...only PackerYakker would have made the same trade down as TT did -- 29 to 33 and get  the 1st in the 4th.
Others would have stayed put and taken Watt (2) or Foster (1).  Interesting.

My effort was mostly done as an illustration of the possibilities. I actually think Ted made a very smart move going back and gaining a 4th. 

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 06:00:53 PM »
Kay. I'm taking the same picks Thompson picked.

1st pick - Kevin King.
2nd pick - Jordan Willis.
3rd pick - Montravius Adams.
4th pick - Carl Lawson
5th pick - Marlon Mack
6th pick - Aaron Jones
7th pick - Bucky Hodges
8th pick - Kofi Amichia
9th pick - Noah Brown
10th pick - Malachi Dupre

I still like Josh Jones and I'm almost inclined to keep that the same too. It was a smart move by Thompson to take a player like him.