September 25, 2017, 07:19:05 PM

Author Topic: Interesting article about TT's possible approach to this years draft  (Read 2267 times)

Offline Toddfather

• HOF Member
http://titletownsoundoff.com/featured-stories/green-bays-2017-draft-class-could-provide-a-sparq/

I've never heard them use the word Sparq in Green Bay. However, if they are using this approach, I'm all for it.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
That looks like some very serious attention has been paid to athletic ability this year.  Jamaal Williams is the only pick below average, Malachi Dupre is a little above average and all the others are good (Mays, Adams), very good (Biegel, Yancy) or outstanding/rare athletes (King, A.Jones, J.Jones, Amichia).
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
http://titletownsoundoff.com/featured-stories/green-bays-2017-draft-class-could-provide-a-sparq/

I've never heard them use the word Sparq in Green Bay. However, if they are using this approach, I'm all for it.

SPARQ rating system has been around for quite a while. All teams use it, but for some reason the media/talking heads don't give it much play.

I would be shocked if Green Bay hasn't been a consistent user of this evaluation tool in the past. But I'm sure they have used it for a long time.

Offline Toddfather

• HOF Member

SPARQ rating system has been around for quite a while. All teams use it, but for some reason the media/talking heads don't give it much play.

I would be shocked if Green Bay hasn't been a consistent user of this evaluation tool in the past. But I'm sure they have used it for a long time.

You may be 100% correct. They did talk about Schneider in Seattle using it. We all know what GM branch he is from. I just thought it was cool to see where our guys this years ranked on it. Would be interesting to see where players in previous drafts fit in, but I'm lazy  8)

Online craig

• HOF Member
It's really interesting, and kind of weird that guys like Amichia and Jones and Mays score so very well.

Curious that the MathBomb "RAS" formula makes the players look even more athletic. 

Both systems are pretty "Wow" for amichia.  Would be super cool if he turned into a beautiful success story. 

Online Lodestar

• HOF Member
It's really interesting, and kind of weird that guys like Amichia and Jones and Mays score so very well.

Curious that the MathBomb "RAS" formula makes the players look even more athletic. 

Both systems are pretty "Wow" for amichia.  Would be super cool if he turned into a beautiful success story.

I found it interesting that they announced him as a center at the draft. Could be a sign...

Online craig

• HOF Member

I found it interesting that they announced him as a center at the draft. Could be a sign...

Wow, serious?  I didn't even realize that, didn't hear that at all.  I just assumed he was another guard candidate. 

Perhaps that even makes better sense.  I thought I read he was like 306 now, but had played more 290 in college. 

Online Lodestar

• HOF Member

Wow, serious?  I didn't even realize that, didn't hear that at all.  I just assumed he was another guard candidate. 

Perhaps that even makes better sense.  I thought I read he was like 306 now, but had played more 290 in college.

Yeah. Although then they assigned him #79 which is traditionally more of a tackle number for the Packers...

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member

Yeah. Although then they assigned him #79 which is traditionally more of a tackle number for the Packers...

Well I didnt want to mention it pre-draft or interfere with post draft analysis, but I've bulked up considerably since last year (when I was an emergency replacement for some Secondary positions) and this year intend to be utilized along the OL - in case of need only of course :)

Online Hincha

• HOF Member
Re: Interesting article about TT's possible approach to this years draft
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 06:39:00 PM »
Very interesting article.. thanks for posting link

Offline jameslofton

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 08:23:11 PM »
Good read. I like this kind of stuff.
Moneyball football style.

Offline Still Cheesy

• Second String
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 11:32:50 PM »
Is this a big a shock? The article references last year, but I'm guessing that was influenced in part by players who either were misclassified (I can't think Lowry was low, given some of his workout numbers, if he was classified as a defensive lineman instead of an edge) or didn't have workout numbers (Murphy, possibly Clark who I couldn't find a 3-cone time for if that test is necessary).

While this draft might be a tad more pure (other than Williams), I'd say there is a decent chance that the Packers were above average as a whole over the past several drafts. While you could probably point to some guys who would fall short of these standards, most of their "reaches" are guys who SPARQ would love, for better (a decent chunk of their offensive linemen in recent years) or worse (McMillan). At that point the increased SPARQ "purity" could be happenstance rather than a change in philosophy. If it is a change in philosophy, perhaps it is using the 5th-7th rounds to focus on upside instead of mixing upside picks and safer guys at non-premium positions. Although, given the sample size, that too could just be how things fell on the board.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2017, 04:25:43 AM »
The link I have added shows the RAS (Relative Athletic Score) of all 32 teams draft picks.

https://relativeathleticscores.com/2017/05/04/rating-the-athleticism-of-the-2017-draft-class-using-ras-all-32-teams-ranked/

The Ravens rated no.1 in the most athletic players taken this year. Bengals ranked no.2, and the Packers were third. Patriots, Saints Cardinals, Steelers, 49ers, make up the top 8.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2017, 06:33:55 AM »
Good read. I like this kind of stuff.
Moneyball football style.

I don't know if I'd consider it Moneyball. Everyone knows there is much more going on in football versus baseball. Athletic ability is a major part of both, but in baseball you can get away with being far less athletically gifted than a football player. Professional football players are probably the most athletic in the world as a whole. With 300 pound lineman running less than 5 second 40s I believe it's safe to say this with 100% certainty.

It reveals a similar idea between the two, but overall production is what matters and that's what "Moneyball" was all about. This is the approach Thompson takes in the later rounds and even earlier. Almost always choosing guys with good college production rather than just pure athletic ability.

I'm certain GB and his staff have this rating system or a similar one of their own to measure a player's athleticism. In terms of importance towards a player's draft stock I'd say it ranks in the top 3 of variables.