December 16, 2017, 10:28:47 AM

Author Topic: One More Draft Choice  (Read 1606 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
One More Draft Choice
« on: June 18, 2017, 05:21:31 PM »
It has been 7 weeks since the draft and it's well in the rearview mirror now. But my question here is, if you had one more selection and you could have selected any 3rd day player (rounds 4-7) that the Packers did not select, who would that player be? That can be the man crush that got away or looking at the current roster and filling a preceived need.
My selection would be Nico Siragusa, the OLineman from San Diego State. To have him learn for a year behind Jahri Evans would be a great addition. Heck he may have won the job this year.

This exercise is not for everyone, but we are in a dead period for the next several weeks. Just something to kick around. 

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: One More Draft Choice
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 06:11:24 AM »
A very interesting question with the freedom to take anyone you like. However, I have several guys I liked, so there will be more than one choice. This will be a good thread to look back at later to see if players people liked did well over time.

First there are 4 guys I liked, but wouldn't pick.
3rd (101) CB Brendan Langley, 6'0", 200, 4.43, from Lamar. He was a project and great value in 6th. 3rd is too early. Liked him though.
4th (119) RB Tariq Cohen, 5'6", 180, from N.Carolina A&T. How can you not love the human joystick. Again, way too early, but he would have been fun to have on the team.
4th (116) DE(OLB) Carl Lawson, 6'2", 253 from Auburn. Very good pass rusher, but cannot stay healthy because he is tightly wound. Great talent but injury probability too high. Very similar to another guy I liked Ejuan Price (who went in the 7th), who was an undersized (5'11") but chunky linebacker who was just a good player that was too injury prone.

Here are candidates for the extra pick:
Round 4(125) OLB Samson Ebukam 6'3", 240, E.Washington. Yeah, its too early for him, but this is a freebie pick. Very athletic for his size, football mad. Needs technique work. RAS (Relative Athletic Score) 9.76 out of 10, rating 3rd out of 136 prospects this year. Went to the Rams.
Round 5(146) TE George Kittle 6'4", 247, 4.52. How about that speed ! Underused at Iowa as a pass catcher (and raw as a consequence), but (not surprisingly) a keen blocker. Loaded with potential. RAS score of 9.29, 3rd of 63 prospects. Went to the 49ers.
Round 5(171) QB Nathan Peterman, 6'2", 225, Pittsburgh. The forgotten QB. While draft gurus loved the big-arm guys, this guy had a functional but not great arm. He didn't rate that high on the RAS either, so why did I like him so much ? Because he can read what defenses are doing, the failing of so many high QB picks. He also came from a pro style offense and took snaps under center. Great value as a solid no.2 type QB. Went to the Bills.
Round 6(209) WR Robert Davis , 6'2", 209, 4.42. Georgia ST. Great triangle measurables, and in desperate need of pro coaching to unlock his potential. Tools are there. RAS of 9.7 (1st of 162). Went to the Resdkins.
Round 7(231) OT Jylon Ware 6'7", 295 Alabama St. Underweight, but super athletic tackle is a PS project. RAS of 9.47 (3rd of 63 prospects). Went to the Raiders

Four of my five choices are super athletic guys, which is a prime attribute for later picks. The other is a QB who stands out because of his capacity to read a defense. Your pick of guard Nico Siragusa (not a relation to Tony), had a very good RAS of 8.95. He went to the Ravens.

(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 07:52:05 AM »
Great list of players 1265, originally was going to ask for 1 per round (4-7), but didn't think anyone would respond to that question.
Both Cohen and Ebukam were players the Packers had in as two of their 30 allowed visits. The Rams traded up to draft Ebukam in the 4th, it would be interesting to see who they were trying to get ahead of. The Packers picked 9 pick later. Both, without a doubt were players the Packers would have takin at some point.
Can't prove ties to Langley, Kittle, Davis or Ware, but all 4 meet the guidelines of being Ted-types. Kittle would of been my 5th round choice.
All-in-all an excellent job, well done!

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 09:29:21 AM »
Wasn't aware Cohen and Ebukam were visitors to the Packers, I just liked them. Very interesting to hear that, it shows how high the focus on athletic guys was in this draft, that they had real interest in Ebukam. He just went too early to be a value pick. Cohen was a low RAS rated guy, because he was short and not particularly fast, but he had moves, tremendous pinball machine moves.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 09:42:41 AM »
Wasn't aware Cohen and Ebukam were visitors to the Packers, I just liked them. Very interesting to hear that, it shows how high the focus on athletic guys was in this draft, that they had real interest in Ebukam. He just went too early to be a value pick. Cohen was a low RAS rated guy, because he was short and not particularly fast, but he had moves, tremendous pinball machine moves.
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/nfl-draft-2017-packers/2017/4/13/15285064/packers-draft-visits-rb-tarik-cohen-works-out-for-packers-after-incomplete-combine

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/nfl-draft-2017-packers/2017/4/9/15236014/packers-draft-visits-samson-ebukam-edge-olb-eastern-washington-report

They would have been good additions, now we have to watch Cohen twice a year with the Bears.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 09:58:59 AM »
Get the feeling that Ebukam may have been rated higher by teams than fans and media thought. The Rams information told them they needed to trade up from 141 over all to 125 in order to get their guy. The Broncos sat at 126 and promply traded out after the selection of Ebukam. Did they view him as a replacement for Ware? Oh to be a fly on the wall. Here a link to all 30 Packers visits, to me it is interesting to see how these players turnout.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/nfl-draft-2017-packers/2017/3/30/15114062/packers-pre-draft-visit-tracker-2017-follow-reports-of-private-workouts

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 02:53:55 PM »
1265, you referenced RAS numbers earlier. Thought I would share this link incase you have not already seen it. This is not a new trend, in review you will find the Packers draft classes often rank high on the RAS scale. Typical of Ted types.

https://relativeathleticscores.com/2017/05/04/rating-the-athleticism-of-the-2017-draft-class-using-ras-all-32-teams-ranked/

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 06:29:38 PM »
Yes, I have been to that link (several times in fact). But this is the first year I have seen this and understood how much RAS scores seem to influence Packers draft choices.

I will certainly give much more weight to these scores in future drafts, since the correlation seems very strong.

Online Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 08:35:16 AM »
But my question here is, if you had one more selection and you could have selected any 3rd day player (rounds 4-7) that the Packers did not select, who would that player be?

Like the broken record I was in the draft thread, for me it would be Samaje Perine, RB, Oklahoma.  I really wanted him for the Packers, and I think Washington stole one here.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/may/16/samaje-perine-has-impressed-early-redskins-rookie-/

Given the way Ted went in the third and early fourth, it is understandable that we didn't draft Perine, but I think he and Monty would have made for quite a duo back there.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 08:37:57 AM by Twain »
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 10:06:37 AM »
Being a broken record is fine, that is what the question was all about.
I was also for Perine becoming a Packer, but with the luxury of hindsight not sure how that would of happened without weakening the quality of players we did get.
Say the Packers take Perine at the top of the 4th round (108), the second 4th round pick isn't til (134). At that point Vince Biegel, Carl Lawson and Samson Ebukam are off the board. Only 4 more edge rushers are drafted from pick 134 til the end of 6th round.
I know this is an oversimplification and the dominoes could of fallen many different ways, but which combination would you prefer?
A.) Vince Biegel and Jamaal Williams
or
B.) Samaje Perine and one of Avery Moss, Dylan Donahue, Al-Quain Muhammad or Pita Taumoepenu.
Their is no right or wrong answer, injuries and team fits will play a big part in who ends up being the most productive. I was a fan of Moss as a potential Packer, so for me either combo works. But valuewise I still like A.

As for having one more draft pick , that certainly would qualify as a strong one.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 10:16:15 AM by RT »

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2017, 10:51:58 AM »

Like the broken record I was in the draft thread, for me it would be Samaje Perine, RB, Oklahoma.  I really wanted him for the Packers, and I think Washington stole one here.

Compared to Leader's love affair with Mixon, Your one with Perine doesn't even show up on my (rather specifically tuned) radar..........

Online Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2017, 11:20:29 AM »
Being a broken record is fine, that is what the question was all about.
I was also for Perine becoming a Packer, but with the luxury of hindsight not sure how that would of happened without weakening the quality of players we did get.
Say the Packers take Perine at the top of the 4th round (108), the second 4th round pick isn't til (134). At that point Vince Biegel, Carl Lawson and Samson Ebukam are off the board. Only 4 more edge rushers are drafted from pick 134 til the end of 6th round.
I know this is an oversimplification and the dominoes could of fallen many different ways, but which combination would you prefer?
A.) Vince Biegel and Jamaal Williams
or
B.) Samaje Perine and one of Avery Moss, Dylan Donahue, Al-Quain Muhammad or Pita Taumoepenu.
Their is no right or wrong answer, injuries and team fits will play a big part in who ends up being the most productive. I was a fan of Moss as a potential Packer, so for me either combo works. But valuewise I still like A.

As for having one more draft pick , that certainly would qualify as a strong one.

I totally agree with your analysis.  At the time I might have selected Perine with our third round pick, but I think Ted made the correct choice to draft for DL in the third, especially now that Guion has shown his tendency to be a knucklehead again.  There just wasn't a great way to get him unless he lasted until our second pick in the fourth.

"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."