December 16, 2017, 10:45:15 AM

Author Topic: New names at ILB  (Read 4271 times)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
New names at ILB
« on: May 07, 2017, 03:51:14 PM »
I'm already looking forward to the competition at ILB for training camp.

Cody Heiman has already received a significant amount of discussion, but I had not heard anything about Derrick Mathews until I ran across this tidbit.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Houston-pro-day-recap/cfbbfe7a-6b3d-4c98-a1a6-34a93a2fb4d3

John Harris
Texans Analyst

-- The one guy I wanted to see work out didnít get a chance to, other than the bench press. ILB Derrick Mathews was one of the most instinctive linebackers in the nation and one of the most productive, intelligent and complete linebackers in this draft class. Problem was his size. His program height/weight was 6í/222 lb. and that was going to be tough to overcome. However, he did weigh 232 pounds and didnít have an ounce of fat on him. A torn ACL suffered in October against Memphis kept him from completing a full work out beyond the bench press. That said, he threw up 26 reps of 225 pounds and when fully healthy, he has plenty of potential. I talked to him after the day and he said he was real close to doing a full workout but just wasnít quite there. Heís yoked up, football intelligent and loves to compete but just has to deal with being 6í.

Regardless of size, I will be watching Mathews as well as Heiman as closely as I can from now through training camp. It should be fun.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: New names at ILB
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 05:30:43 PM »
So have I got this right ?

OLBs are N.Perry, C.Matthews,  V.Biegel, K.Fackrell, J.Elliott, J.Calvin, R.Gilbert
ILBs  are J.Ryan B.Martinez, J.Thomas, C.Heiman, D.Mathews
Safety/ILB hybrid (as required, play by play) are  M.Burnett, J.Jones
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 05:58:31 PM »
Unless Heiman shines think they will forgo the 4th ILB.  They can use either Jones or Biegel depending.  Also shift Matthews inside if needed. Only so many roster spots so this is the area where I think they steal one.

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 12:22:08 AM »
So have I got this right ?

OLBs are N.Perry, C.Matthews,  V.Biegel, K.Fackrell, J.Elliott, J.Calvin, R.Gilbert
ILBs  are J.Ryan B.Martinez, J.Thomas, C.Heiman, D.Mathews
Safety/ILB hybrid (as required, play by play) are  M.Burnett, J.Jones

I get the feeling Jones is gonna play a lot more ILB than S, but yeah he'll essentially be a hybrid. I feel like there's too many people at ILB but that's what training camp is for. Not very many yet at OLB

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 09:56:55 AM »
I get the feeling Jones is gonna play a lot more ILB than S, but yeah he'll essentially be a hybrid. I feel like there's too many people at ILB but that's what training camp is for. Not very many yet at OLB

Agree on Jones being very much in the mix at ILB. 
*That's where he opened in rookie camp
*post-draft comments suggested they definitely have plans for him in that direction. 
*MM commented on playing <20% of snaps with 3 linemen, and wanting to get more secondary guys onto the field. 

Ryan, Martinez, Thomas, that seems thin.  But Ryan, Martinez, Thomas, plus Jones and Burnett, that seems fine to me.
Plus Matthews, Biegel, or even Fackrell might perhaps play inside at times. 

Heiman and Matthews, would love to see either/both emerge as real players.  But given how rarely a Packer cut gets snagged for 53-man by other teams, I think they'd be best served to compete for PS and to make the 63-man.  Use that as a red-shirt year. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 10:47:53 AM »
I agree with most everything being said here, especially about Jones.

I just was surprised by the writers comment (his opinion) that Derrick Mathews was the most instinctive, productive, intelligent, and complete linebacker in this draft.

Even if he redshirted for a year on the PS, finding/signing that level of talent as an udfa speaks to the abilities of Ted and his personnel staff.

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 01:41:15 AM »
The quote in the OP was from 2015. It looks to me like Mathews had a redshirt season with the Packers last year:

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-press-release/article-1/Packers-sign-LB-Derrick-Mathews/284a4319-fa97-400e-b476-660efd5acd62

He also spent the 2015 season on and off the Redskin PS.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 06:28:36 AM »
 thumbsup)

Missed that.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 04:40:54 PM »
Don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but when discussing ILB's, just recall, TT could have had either Myles Jack or Jaylon Smith.

I predict both will start this year.

Online Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 08:14:00 PM »
Don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but when discussing ILB's, just recall, TT could have had either Myles Jack or Jaylon Smith.

I am glad we got Kenny Clark instead.  I think he will be more of an impact for us.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 08:15:22 PM by Twain »
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 09:37:07 PM »

I am glad we got Kenny Clark instead.  I think he will be more of an impact for us.
Hard to believe anybody would go with the would a, could a, should a with those LBer's after knowing the Packers have Clark instead. The vote by 32 GM's would probably be 32-0 for Clark. Are people really still hung up about the ILBer group?

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 07:10:19 AM »
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2017/07/11/concrete-look-cowboys-now-optimistic-jaylon-smiths-recovery

Really Greg?  Stupid pick by the Cowboys.  He'll never be the player he was.  Well he can lift his toes now.  Severe nerve damage.  Not the same as Derrick Sherrod but similar situations.  Think Jones would make that pick again?  Seriously doubt it...

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/11302/myles-jack

Big impact in 2016 wow...he at least has a chance going forward if his knee doesn't disintegrate.

Not a fan of drafting severely injured players.  Rarely does it work out. 

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 11:18:38 PM »
If Smith comes back at just 70 percent of what he was he will be worth it.

Many people thought he was the best overall LB in the draft and worth a top five pick.

In watching films of him, what Smith could do better than any other ILB in that draft was to cover, in either zone or man to man.  But he was also big enough and strong enough to jam the middle.  In other words, you would not have to rotate him or sub him.  He was a three down LB all the way.

We will see what happens with him.  IMO, that kind of player was worth the risk. 

I also lamented TT not going after Lael Collins.  I was correct on that one.  That guy can play every OL spot except center, and he can be good at them.  Hard to believe, but he is even better than Barclay.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 11:20:30 PM by Gregg »

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2017, 08:17:45 AM »
I'm already looking forward to the competition at ILB for training camp.

Cody Heiman has already received a significant amount of discussion, but I had not heard anything about Derrick Mathews until I ran across this tidbit.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Houston-pro-day-recap/cfbbfe7a-6b3d-4c98-a1a6-34a93a2fb4d3

John Harris
Texans Analyst

-- The one guy I wanted to see work out didnít get a chance to, other than the bench press. ILB Derrick Mathews was one of the most instinctive linebackers in the nation and one of the most productive, intelligent and complete linebackers in this draft class. Problem was his size. His program height/weight was 6í/222 lb. and that was going to be tough to overcome. However, he did weigh 232 pounds and didnít have an ounce of fat on him. A torn ACL suffered in October against Memphis kept him from completing a full work out beyond the bench press. That said, he threw up 26 reps of 225 pounds and when fully healthy, he has plenty of potential. I talked to him after the day and he said he was real close to doing a full workout but just wasnít quite there. Heís yoked up, football intelligent and loves to compete but just has to deal with being 6í.

Regardless of size, I will be watching Mathews as well as Heiman as closely as I can from now through training camp. It should be fun.

Don't go to sleep on this kid once TC starts. He's 2 years removed from his ACL injury, so he should be "full go".

I've read a couple of places that he fits the hybrid Safety/Linebacker role like GB drafted Josh Jones to be.

Would be nice to have 2-3 players that fit that role IF TT/MM want to go "all in" with that type of defense.

I'll be watching a number of no-name kids in TC, and Mathews will be one of them.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2017, 08:40:13 AM »
If Smith comes back at just 70 percent of what he was he will be worth it.

Many people thought he was the best overall LB in the draft and worth a top five pick.

In watching films of him, what Smith could do better than any other ILB in that draft was to cover, in either zone or man to man.  But he was also big enough and strong enough to jam the middle.  In other words, you would not have to rotate him or sub him.  He was a three down LB all the way.

We will see what happens with him.  IMO, that kind of player was worth the risk. 

I also lamented TT not going after Lael Collins.  I was correct on that one.  That guy can play every OL spot except center, and he can be good at them.  Hard to believe, but he is even better than Barclay.
Sorry but no player is worth it at 70% of who they were.

It is hard to believe a member of the hindsight gang would try to make a case that the Packers choose the wrong player and use these 2 examples as what they should have done. They have a young budding star DLineman and you would rather have a guy that may never be physically right again? You will need to look far and wide to find much support of that idea.

As is often the case with these kinds of takes, the attempt is made to muddy the waters by injecting a completely different circumstance into the discussion. The Collins case is easy to say I told you so in hindsight. But the combination of the information that the NFL security was providing the teams and the agent telling teams that they would set a year out and re-enter the draft for the next year made for a very unstable situation. Remember all 32 teams passed for 7 rounds on him, including the Cowboys.

I am wondering if any of the 10 choices this year were the right choices? Or this a case that what ever decisions that TT makes, they are all just wrong? Please share your wisdom on this years draft.