November 20, 2017, 01:28:38 AM

Author Topic: What About Bob on This Memorial Day  (Read 477 times)

Offline Bob Fox

• All Pro
What About Bob on This Memorial Day
« on: May 27, 2017, 05:25:58 PM »
What About Bob on This Memorial Day

By Bob Fox

*** I originally wrote this article three years ago when I worked at Bleacher Report.

As we all reflect on what the meaning of Memorial Day is really about, I want to remember all who served bravely in the many military conflicts that our country has been involved in, especially those who lost their lives in the line of duty.

One is my uncle Bob, who was one of my dadís younger brothers. Dad served in World War II along with his older brother John. When the Korean conflict started, my uncle Bob was in college at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, then known as the Milwaukee State Teachers College.

Bob became the first person in the Fox family to ever get a college degree when he graduated. Even with his graduation, he still went to Korea to serve as a medic in the Army. Unfortunately, not long before he was set to come home, he was killed in action.

A few years later when I was born, I was named after Bob. Like my uncle, I also graduated from UWM.

The Green Bay Packers once had a player who served in both World War II and Korea. He was also named Bob: Bob Forte. Forte was also a college graduate, and he was drafted by the Packers in 1943 out of Arkansas.

But instead of playing right away with the Packers, Forte served as an Army tank officer in the war until he was discharged in 1945.

Forte started his career in Green Bay in 1946. He played with the Packers for seven years, which was interrupted for one year while he served in Korea.

Forte was one of only 14 players in NFL history who served both in World War II and Korea.

Forte had a solid career with the Packers as a two-way player, which was common in his era. On offense, he played running back and had 331 yards rushing in his career, along with 24 catches for 242 yards and three touchdowns.

But it was on the defensive side of the ball where Forte really shined, both as a defensive back and as a linebacker. Forte had 23 career interceptions (one for a touchdown) and also had 11 fumble recoveries.

In 1973, Forte was inducted into the Packers Hall of Fame.

Forte died in 1996 at the age of 73.

So as we stand by the grill today or watch a ballgame, letís not forget what this day is all about. Itís about honoring the memory of all of those who served and sacrificed for all of us and also for those who still do.

***********************************************************************************************************

About the Author

Bob closely follows the Packers, Badgers, Brewers, Bucks, Golden Eagles and Panthers, but also enjoys sports in Florida as he is a big supporter of the Lightning, Rays, Gators and Bulls, plus enjoys the Bucs, when they arenít playing the Packers.

Bob always had the itch to return to the media, and he became a writer at a Packer website called ThaPack for a couple of years, before he joined Packer Report, where he was for several years, before joining Wisconsin Sports Online (Packer Chatters) writing about the Packers, Badgers and Brewers.

Bob worked as a Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report from November of 2011 into June of 2015, mainly covering the Green Bay Packers, but also did columns for teams like the Tampa Bay Lightning, the Tampa Bay Bucs and the Wisconsin Badgers as well.

Bob currently writes in his Blog at WordPress and also at LandryFootball.com.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • Where are we?
Re: What About Bob on This Memorial Day
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 06:38:35 PM »
Thanks Bob.

clap) hatsoff)
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline Bob Fox

• All Pro
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 10:16:32 AM »
Thank you, Larry. I'll be doing another story tomorrow about what a honor it was for Jerry Kramer to accompany the Never Forgotten Honor Flight to Washington D.C. recently.

http://www.waow.com/story/35487244/2017/05/22/former-packer-jerry-kramer-joins-never-forgotten-honor-flight

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 11:47:24 AM »

Thanks Bob and LMG.

Offline Bob Fox

• All Pro
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 12:48:17 PM »
Excellent stuff, Danno. When talking about fallen heroes, and this predates WW I, WW II, the Korean war, the Vietnam war, Desert Storm and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, but I don't know how many of you have visited any Civil War battle fields. About 15 years ago, I spent the day at Gettysburg. Talk about being in a surreal situation. You could just feel the bravery and tragedy that unfolded there over three days. We weren't supposed to, but me and three of my buddies walked down Little Round Top. I just imagined how that place looked back in July of 1863 with all the dead that littered that battle area. All told there were around 50,000 casualties for both sides, with approximately 8,000 killed. Bottom line, I was very moved by my visit there.