September 23, 2017, 02:59:53 PM

Author Topic: Jerry Kramer Joins the Never Forgotten Honor Flight  (Read 458 times)

Offline Bob Fox

• All Pro
Jerry Kramer Joins the Never Forgotten Honor Flight
« on: May 29, 2017, 11:03:52 AM »
Jerry Kramer Joins the Never Forgotten Honor Flight

By Bob Fox

Today marks a special day on our calendar, as we honor and remember all who served bravely in the many military conflicts that our country has been involved in, especially those who lost their lives fighting for our freedom.

One of those brave individuals was my Uncle Bob. I am named after him. Bob was one of my dad’s younger brothers. Even though Bob recently had become a college graduate at the Milwaukee State Teachers College (now the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee), Bob still went to Korea to help out in that conflict as a medic.

Just weeks before he was set to return home, Bob was killed.

Bob was one of over a million Americans who have died in the various wars the United States has been involved with since it’s inception.

Today we honor those brave people.

Which takes me to a story I want to share. A few weeks back, as I normally do quite often, I was chatting with former Green Bay Packers great Jerry Kramer.

We were talking about a story idea I had, when Jerry told me about some recent news that he was really excited about.

Jerry told me that he was invited to join the Never Forgotten Honor Flight.

The organization is based in Wausau, Wisconsin and it serves veterans in the northern region of Wisconsin. What they do is fly veterans who served during World War II, the Korean War or the Vietnam eras to Washington, D.C. to visit the memorials built in their honor.

Obviously Kramer was honored to receive such an invitation.

“That was kind of a neat call, for them to ask me to join them,” Kramer said. “It was such a honor to get that invitation. It should be an interesting time and I look forward to the trip. I’m kind of excited about it.

“I spoke to a veteran’s group here in Boise, and I never really had much of a chance to thank people like that. I always wanted to, and every once in awhile you can run into a guy and you can say thanks. But it’s pretty damn rare. You never get much of a chance to express your feelings to these brave folks.

“I had a very nice dinner with these guys and they presented me with a sword and a nice piece of memorabilia. I had a really good time there and I felt good about it. I had some nice things to say about their service and their attitude. I told them how much I appreciated them and that I felt better of what they had done probably more so than they did.

“It was a nice evening and it was nice being able to show my appreciation.”

On May 22nd, Jerry and his daughter Alicia traveled with the veterans to Washington on the Never Forgotten Honor Flight.

Once in the nation’s capital, the itinerary was quite extensive. This was the schedule:

9:30 AM: Arrive at Reagan National Airport

10:30 AM: Depart Reagan in Motor Coach

10:45 AM: Arrive at Korean, Vietnam and Lincoln Memorials

1:00 PM: Depart Memorials

1:00-1:25 PM: Bus tour to see the Capital, Navy Memorial and the White House (lunch)

1:25 PM: Arrive World War II Memorial

2:35 PM: Depart World War II Memorial

2:45-3:30 PM: FDR Memorial

3:45 PM: Arrive Iwo Jima Memorial

4:20 PM: Depart Iwo Jima Memorial (snack bars)

4:30 PM: Arrive Arlington National Cemetery

5:00 PM: Changing of the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

5:40 PM: Depart Arlington National Cemetery

5:55 PM: Arrive Air Force Memorial and drive by Pentagon and 9-11 Memorial (dinner)

7:10 PM Depart Memorial

7: 25 PM: Arrive Reagan National Airport

8:45 PM: Depart Reagan National Airport

Wow. That is quite a schedule and a number of great sites to see to view. I’m sure there were many emotional moments thinking back on those brave souls who died for their country.

Kramer talked about how humbling it was to be part of this group.

“It’s hard to digest and hard to understand all at one time,” Kramer said. “It’s been overwhelming to be in the midst of so many great people.”

***********************************************************************************************************

About the Author

Bob closely follows the Packers, Badgers, Brewers, Bucks, Golden Eagles and Panthers, but also enjoys sports in Florida as he is a big supporter of the Lightning, Rays, Gators and Bulls, plus enjoys the Bucs, when they aren’t playing the Packers.

Bob always had the itch to return to the media, and he became a writer at a Packer website called ThaPack for a couple of years, before he joined Packer Report, where he was for several years, before joining Wisconsin Sports Online (Packer Chatters) writing about the Packers, Badgers and Brewers.

Bob worked as a Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report from November of 2011 into June of 2015, mainly covering the Green Bay Packers, but also did columns for teams like the Tampa Bay Lightning, the Tampa Bay Bucs and the Wisconsin Badgers as well.

Bob currently writes in his Blog at WordPress and also at LandryFootball.com.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • PackerChatters.com
Re: Jerry Kramer Joins the Never Forgotten Honor Flight
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 06:31:00 PM »
Thanks Bob....and Happy B-Day.  clap)
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 08:29:06 PM »

Cool Bob!! Dare I ask?

by the by...............I also had an Uncle Bob who served in WWII as a Marine in the PTO. He just passed away June of 2016.

He fought in several major campaigns (Guadalcanal, Tarawa, and Mariana's) before being sent home, just prior to Iwo Jima, nearly dead from marlaria.

Those who served in all three of those War's (WWII, Korea, Vietnam) are hero's and deserve our heart-felt thanks and undying respect.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 08:40:39 PM by dannobanano »

Offline Bob Fox

• All Pro
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 08:28:00 AM »
Thanks for the birthday wishes, Larry and Danno!  8)

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 09:36:48 AM »
Bob, thanks for adding that article about our vets. It's great to see a guy like Kramer being honored by that group. That is one heck of an itinerary for those Vets. I have two uncles still living that served in WWII. One as a MP with the Manhattan Project and the other in a destroyer in the Pacific. My Dad was 82nd Airborne and jumped at Normandy. Funniest stories he told were the training jumps they made while in England. Also entertained us with stories on why the 101st and 82nd had to be on leave at different times. It seems after a few beers, their friendship as Airborne soldiers became a contest of who were the best. Fights became common and the brass decided they couldn't play well together.
Happy belated B-day to you as well!
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!