September 23, 2017, 03:03:32 PM

Author Topic: A Scoutís Take on Who Might Be the Next GM for the Green Bay Packers  (Read 765 times)

Offline Bob Fox

• All Pro
A Scoutís Take on Who Might Be the Next GM for the Green Bay Packers

By Bob Fox

A couple of weeks ago, an article in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel by Michael Cohen speculated that Russ Ball, the vice president of football administration/player finance of the Green Bay Packers, could possibly be the next general manager of the team after Ted Thompson decides to move on.

Thompson, who turned 64 in January, is signed through the 2018 season in his current duties as executive vice president, general manager & director of football operations for the Packers.

Ball, who is 57, has been with the Packers since 2008 and his primary duties are negotiating player contracts and managing the salary cap. Before coming to Green Bay, Ball previously spent time with the New Orleans Saints, Washington Redskins, Minnesota Vikings and Kansas City Chiefs in the NFL.

Although I believe Ball is very good at what he does, my guess is the next general manager of the Packers will have a similar background as Thompson has had. Which means having a scouting background.

I wanted to see if my thoughts had merit, which is why I wanted to talk with NFL scout Chris Landry about this situation. I had an opportunity to talk with Landry earlier this week on 620 WDAEís Steve Duemig Show.

I started my discussion with Landry by mentioning the GM speculation about Ball, and that he also had taken over his current position with the Packers from Andrew Brandt.  Plus I also brought up three names who I believe would be better candidates as GM for the Pack.

One name is Eliot Wolf, who is currently director of football operations for the Packers and has spent . Eliot is the son of Ron Wolf, who served as the GM of the Packers from 1992 through 2000.

Wolf, who is still only 35, has now been part of 25 consecutive drafts for Green Bay, either under his dad or in scouting capacity with the Packers. Wolf has also been at 26 consecutive NFL Scouting Combines.

After being pro personnel assistant with the Packers from 2004-2008, Wolf was then promoted to assistant director of pro personnel for three years, before he was promoted to assistant director of player personnel in 2011. He then was named director of pro personnel in 2012, a position he held until his most recent promotion of director of football operations, which was in March of 2016.

Another name to consider is John Schneider, who is currently the general manager of the Seattle Seahawks. Schneider (a Green Bay native) started his scouting career with the Packers in 1993 under Ron Wolf and spent 12 years total with Green Bay in a number of capacities, including being director of football operations for the Packers in 2008 and 2009.

Another person who would have to be under consideration is John Dorsey, who is currently the general manager with the Kansas City Chiefs. Like Schneider, Dorsey also started his scouting career in Green Bay in 1991 under Ron Wolf and spent 20 years in the Green Bay organization all told, which also included being the director of football operations.

Dorsey also spent six years in Green Bay as a player.

Landry first talked about Ball.

ďHeís [Ball] an administrator, just like Andrew [Brandt],Ē Landry said. ďAndrew was not a football guy. Russ is not a football guy. Heís an administrator.Ē

Landry than talked about Wolf, Schneider and Dorsey.

ďAs far as where the Packers will go to replace Ted [Thompson], when Ted steps aside, to me, thereís a big difference between an Eliot Wolf and a John Schneider or John Dorsey, guys who have done it,Ē Landry said. ďEliot, we know his dadís name, I think thatís awfully risky to put a kid like that type of a role. I donít think heís ready for that. But I donít know what they are going to do or what Ted is going to do.

ďI do think that people might say that John Schneider wouldnít leave Seattle, I donít know that he would or wouldnít, but Pete Carroll makes the final decisions for personnel in Seattle. And if John had total control in Green Bay, he might want to do that or he might not.

ďThe same thing with John Dorsey in Kansas City, in which he answers essentially to Andy Reid. That could be a factor in them taking it [the Green Bay GM job]. Weíll just have to wait and see. John Schneider grew up in Green Bay and went to high school there, while Dorsey obviously had a background working there.

ďI canít really add any insight as to who [the next GM will be]. It can be very political there and Russ very well might get it [the GM job]. It wouldnít be the move I would suggest.Ē

This all may be a moot point after the 2018 season, if Thompson decides to continue his role as GM and signs another extension with the Packers.

How the Packers do on the field over the next couple of seasons will most likely play a big role in that decision.

No matter what, I believe the next GM of the Packers will have a history in the scouting profession.

***********************************************************************************************************

About the Author

Bob closely follows the Packers, Badgers, Brewers, Bucks, Golden Eagles and Panthers, but also enjoys sports in Florida as he is a big supporter of the Lightning, Rays, Gators and Bulls, plus enjoys the Bucs, when they arenít playing the Packers.

Bob always had the itch to return to the media, and he became a writer at a Packer website called ThaPack for a couple of years, before he joined Packer Report, where he was for several years, before joining Wisconsin Sports Online (Packer Chatters) writing about the Packers, Badgers and Brewers.

Bob worked as a Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report from November of 2011 into June of 2015, mainly covering the Green Bay Packers, but also did columns for teams like the Tampa Bay Lightning, the Tampa Bay Bucs and the Wisconsin Badgers as well.

Bob currently writes in his Blog at WordPress and also at LandryFootball.com.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
Schnieder signed a five year extenstion last year. And according to Schnieder, it didn't have an option to leave for an opening in GB. Though that could change if the Packers were willing to offer enough compensation to change their minds. Which means, effectively, he is out of the running.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17137347/seattle-seahawks-agree-contract-extension-gm-john-schneider

Dorsey would be technically available for next year. http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article129354439.html

Wolf? Apparently other teams are interested in his services. And the Packers did upgrade his job title and salary to keep him around. So, would the team really do something so apparently daring? Stay tuned. And, as you said, this could well be moot, since TT could simply decide to extend his stay with GB.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2017/1/3/14159474/who-is-eliot-wolf-san-francisco-49ers-green-bay-packers-ted-thompson-general-manager-nfl-draft
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Landry may have reservations about Wolf, and his youth. But nobody knows Eliot as well as TT and the Packers organization.

I agree with him about Ball...........administrator.

And, Yes, Schneider and Dorsey are both wearing GM shoes at this time,. But as was noted, neither of them has the final say when it comes to personnel, so in reality Schneider/Dorsey are glorified talent scouts, and I could see either of them want a chance at full control in GB when TT final decides its time to step down.

My, uneducated, guess at the moment (and I have no evidence/insight other than my gut) would be to put the order of priority for when the time comes to hire TT replacement as......................

(1) Wolf........two reasons, (a) he's the most tuned in to what's going on with the team at present, (b) bloodlines.
(2) Dorsey.........but only if he doesn't get a long term extension in KC
(3) Schneider..........only because there would likely be a cost (draft pick or picks) to obtain his services at this juncture.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
I would think that Brian Gutekunst is a more likely candidate than all three guys you mentioned. I felt that other teams seemed to value him over Wolf, in the GM interview process earlier this offseason.

I'm also unsure whether Dorsey or Shneider would change teams. They might, but there is a good deal of doubt there.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline RT

• HOF Member
I would think that Brian Gutekunst is a more likely candidate than all three guys you mentioned. I felt that other teams seemed to value him over Wolf, in the GM interview process earlier this offseason.

I'm also unsure whether Dorsey or Shneider would change teams. They might, but there is a good deal of doubt there.
Bingo! I was waiting for someone to put 2 and 2 together. It never dawned on the locals that everytime a GM spot opened up that Gutekunst was the top candidate from the Packers front office and not Wolf?

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
Bingo! I was waiting for someone to put 2 and 2 together. It never dawned on the locals that everytime a GM spot opened up that Gutekunst was the top candidate from the Packers front office and not Wolf?

Are you sure? I checked, and the Bills were interested in Gutekunst at one point. Meanwhile, there were articles showing the Colts and '49ers were interested in Wolf, but the Packers instead gave him a promotion to keep him around. What is true, however, is that the "TT GM tree" is growing each year. Three GM's with TT/Packers ties in the NFL right now (McKenzie on the rebuilt Raiders).

Offline RT

• HOF Member
49ers preferred Gutekunst over Wolf, they did interview both, but Gutekunst removed himself from consideration.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Niners-York-May-be-Leaning-Toward-Gutekunst-as-GM-411330795.html

Bills interviewed only Gutekunst.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/08/report-bills-interviewing-packers-exec-brian-gutekunst/

Colts interviewed Wolf, Gutekunst declined after removing himself in San Francisco. Both recieved internal promotions soon after.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
49ers preferred Gutekunst over Wolf, they did interview both, but Gutekunst removed himself from consideration.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Niners-York-May-be-Leaning-Toward-Gutekunst-as-GM-411330795.html

Bills interviewed only Gutekunst.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/08/report-bills-interviewing-packers-exec-brian-gutekunst/

Colts interviewed Wolf, Gutekunst declined after removing himself in San Francisco. Both recieved internal promotions soon after.

Fair enough. Good research.

Offline Bob Fox

• All Pro
We definitely have a very well informed group here.  thumbsup) I wrote about the dual promotions of Eliot Wolf and Brian Gutekunst last March.

https://greenbaybobfox.wordpress.com/2016/03/24/a-scouts-take-on-the-newest-promotion-of-eliot-wolf/

I know the Packers have a very high opinion of Gutekunst. The reason I thought that Chris Landry might be able to add some perspective, is that he and Ted Thompson have known each other for over 30 years (since both were with the Houston Oilers) and speak to each other at the NFL Scouting Combine very year.

If and when TT decides to move on, the Packers should have an exceptional group of candidates to take over for him, whether in-house or elsewhere.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Oh yes, from the Ted Thompson tree (if you want to call it that), many seeds have fallen on fertile ground and flourished, with what look like good fruits still on the branches. It has arguably been the strongest and deepest element of the Packers team.

PS You are lucky to be able to speak to someone who has great football knowledge and is a longtime friend  of Ted. I'd be tempted to talk his ear off.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 10:35:19 PM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"