September 23, 2017, 03:02:58 PM

Author Topic: Aaron Rodgers Will Be Joining Some Illustrious Company in 2017  (Read 524 times)

Offline Bob Fox

• All Pro
Aaron Rodgers Will Be Joining Some Illustrious Company in 2017

By Bob Fox

With just three more touchdown passes in 2017, quarterback Aaron Rodgers of the Green Bay Packers will have 300 career touchdown tosses. That would put Rodgers in a club that only 10 other quarterbacks in NFL history have ever achieved.

That would put Rodgers in illustrious company, but nobody will have achieved this honor in the same way Rodgers will have done.

As Michael David Smith of Pro Football Talk notes, Rodgers will be the first quarterback ever to throw 300 touchdown passes before throwing 100 interceptions. Right now, Rodgers has thrown just 72 picks in his career.

Letís compare that with the other QBs who have thrown 300 or more TD passes.

Peyton Manning (539 career TD passes)- Had thrown 152 interceptions when he threw his 300th TD pass.

Brett Favre (508 career TD passes)- Had thrown 175 interceptions when he threw his 300th TD pass.

Drew Brees (465 career TD passes)- Had thrown 154 interceptions when he threw his 300th TD pass.

Tom Brady (456 career TD passes)- Had thrown 115 interceptions when he threw his 300th TD pass.

Dan Marino (420 career TD passes)- Had thrown 169 interceptions when he threw his 300th TD pass.

Fran Tarkenton (342 career TD passes)- Had thrown 219 interceptions when he threw his 300th TD pass.

Eli Manning (320 career TD passes)- Had thrown 205 interceptions when he threw his 300th TD pass.

Philip Rivers (314 career TD passes)- Had thrown 146 interceptions when he threw his 300 the TD pass.

Ben Roethlisberger (301 career TD passes)- Had thrown 160 interceptions when he threw his 300th TD pass.

John Elway (300 career TD passes)- Had thrown 226 interceptions when he threw his 300th TD pass.

It figures that Rodgers would surpass the 10 quarterbacks who previously threw 300 touchdown passes in the ratio which compares TD passes versus picks. As I wrote last December, Rodgers has achieved a level of quarterback play which has never been done before.

Rodgers is the only QB in NFL history to have a 4/1 ratio in terms of career TD passes versus picks. When I wrote the article, Rodgers had thrown 289 passes, compared to 72 interceptions, which put him at a 4.01 mark.

Rodgers has since then thrown eight more TD passes without a pick, which now puts him at a 4.13 mark.

No one in NFL history even comes close to that level.

Even the great Tom Brady, who now is in second place with a 3.00 ratio mark with 456 career TD passes versus 152 picks.

No one else in NFL history has achieved the 3/1 mark and the 4/1 mark that Rodgers is currently at is certainly unfathomable compared to other great QBs in NFL history.

Itís also important to note that Rodgers is the only QB in NFL history to have a passer rating over 100. No. 12 currently sits at the top of the leader board with a 104.1 mark. Russell Wilson is second with a 99.6 mark, while Brady is third with a 97.2 mark.

Rodgers also will join some elite company in a couple other categories this season, as long as he stays healthy.

No. 12 needs to throw for 3,173 yards to get into the career 40,000 passing yards club. That is more than achievable, as Rodgers has averaged 4,210 passing yards per year over the past three seasons.

Currently, only 18 quarterbacks in NFL history have thrown for over 40,000 yards. The all-time leader is Peyton Manning, who threw for 71,940 career passing yards, which narrowly eclipsed Brett Favre, who threw for 71,838 yards.

Rodgers will also join the top 20 in NFL history in terms of passes completed. No. 12 has 3,034 pass completions in his career thus far, and will break into the top 20 with just 136 completions this season.

Rodgers can move a few spots into the top 20 in that category this season, as he threw a career-best 410 completions in 2016. The all-time leader in pass completions in NFL history is Favre, who threw 6,300 completions in his career.

Now depending on how long Rodgers plays, Favre played until he was 41, and Brady will turn 40 on August 3, the former Cal Bear can put up some unbelievable numbers based on what he has done this far in his fabulous career in Green Bay.

Rodgers will turn 34 in December. Letís say Rodgers plays until he is 40 and plays at the same type of level he has played at during his career. That isnít unthinkable, especially when on looks at what Brady has done, plus Favre had the best year of his career at age 40 as a Minnesota Viking in 2009.

That would mean Rodgers would play seven more years. Based on his production thus far over his career (over a full season) , Rodgers would throw 245 more TD passes over that period, which would put him at the 542 career TD passes mark. That mark would top Peyton Manningís all-time mark of 539 TD passes.

In addition, based on the same formula, Rodgers would throw for 30,005 passing yards over those seven years, which would put him at 66,832 career passing yards mark.

But as much as those individual achievements would mean to Rodgers, it would mean more to him if the Packers can bring a couple more Vince Lombardi Trophies back to Titletown

Rodgers led the Packers to a 31-25 win in Super Bowl XLV over the Pittsburgh Steelers, when No. 12 was named MVP of that game.

Rodgers and the Packers have averaged 10 wins per season since he became the starting QB in 2008. Over that time, the Packers have been to the playoffs for eight consecutive seasons dating back to 2009, plus have won five NFC North titles.

While that was going on, Rodgers was also named the NFL MVP in 2011 and 2014.

Currently, Rodgers sits with 99 career victories (regular season and playoffs). The leader in that category is Brady, who has a whopping 208 career wins. Following Brady are Peyton Manning with 200 career wins and Favre with 199 career wins.

Again, based on what Rodgers has done in his career thus far, he can add another 79 victories, which would put him at the 178 mark.

That number can increase quite a bit, if the Packers can get to a couple more Super Bowls.

That Packers have comes close in two out of the past three years, as the team has reached the NFC title game in the 2014 and 2016 postseason.

Rodgers is only 9-7 in the postseason, but that won-lost record is very deceiving. In his career in the postseason, Rodgers has a 99.4 passer rating in the postseason (fifth-best in NFL history), which includes throwing 36 touchdown passes versus just 10 picks.

The seven losses that Rodgers and the Packers have suffered in the postseason can largely be blamed on defensive and special teams miscues.

Time will tell what Rodgers and the Packers will do over the next several years, but one thing is for certain.

Rodgers is playing at an incredible level and if he gets some help from the defense and special teams of the Packers during the postseason, he can add even more luster to his already great legacy.

***********************************************************************************************************

About the Author

Bob closely follows the Packers, Badgers, Brewers, Bucks, Golden Eagles and Panthers, but also enjoys sports in Florida as he is a big supporter of the Lightning, Rays, Gators and Bulls, plus enjoys the Bucs, when they arenít playing the Packers.

Bob always had the itch to return to the media, and he became a writer at a Packer website called ThaPack for a couple of years, before he joined Packer Report, where he was for several years, before joining Wisconsin Sports Online (Packer Chatters) writing about the Packers, Badgers and Brewers.

Bob worked as a Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report from November of 2011 into June of 2015, mainly covering the Green Bay Packers, but also did columns for teams like the Tampa Bay Lightning, the Tampa Bay Bucs and the Wisconsin Badgers as well.

Bob currently writes in his Blog at WordPress and also at LandryFootball.com.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Aaron Rodgers Will Be Joining Some Illustrious Company in 2017
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 07:21:42 AM »
Thanks Bob, for a stats junky I love this type of stuff.

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 03:15:24 PM »
Aside from the obviously impressive stats, the first milestone for great QBs on the way to getting old is when they start talking about these career records.
Just like Favre, Rodgers won the Super Bowl in the sixth season of his career.  And so far, unfortunately, neither player has been able to win the big one again.
Ted, get Aaron some help before the window closes.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 03:40:53 PM »
Aside from the obviously impressive stats, the first milestone for great QBs on the way to getting old is when they start talking about these career records.
Just like Favre, Rodgers won the Super Bowl in the sixth season of his career.  And so far, unfortunately, neither player has been able to win the big one again.

So up to this point, Ted hasn't been bothering ?
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 04:21:50 PM »

The entitled are unrelenting in their assertions.

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 06:30:42 AM »
Hasn't got it done, that's a hard fact.  Am I entitled for pointing out a fact?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 06:36:17 AM by iarwain »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 10:38:03 AM »
Hasn't got it done, that's a hard fact.  Am I entitled for pointing out a fact?
Entitled- believing oneself to be inherently deserving of more. It is the definition of entitled.

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 11:40:58 AM »
Entitled- believing oneself to be inherently deserving of more. It is the definition of entitled.
Where did I say that I was deserving of anything?  I was encouraging the GM to improve the team to the point of winning another Super Bowl.   Thought that made me a fan.

The article pointed out that Rodgers is playing the QB position at a level that has not been seen before.  That presents an opportunity, IMO.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 12:37:16 AM »
Where did I say that I was deserving of anything?  I was encouraging the GM to improve the team to the point of winning another Super Bowl.   Thought that made me a fan.

The article pointed out that Rodgers is playing the QB position at a level that has not been seen before.  That presents an opportunity, IMO.

Do you believe Ted and company haven't been trying? 

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 08:47:01 AM »
I'm sure they're trying.  I'm sure the GM of the Cleveland Browns is trying.  I'm sure it's a hard job.  I'm sure the salary cap is a pain.
I like the direction Ted is going in with this last draft.  I think the defense is still a little too thin to win the Super Bowl this year.  I would be happy to be wrong.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 09:43:51 AM »
I'm sure they're trying.  I'm sure the GM of the Cleveland Browns is trying.  I'm sure it's a hard job.  I'm sure the salary cap is a pain.
I like the direction Ted is going in with this last draft.  I think the defense is still a little too thin to win the Super Bowl this year.  I would be happy to be wrong.

If our secondary improves along with our pass rush this defense is good enough.  We were one game away from the SB last year with that sorry pass defense.

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 01:18:10 PM »
The secondary should be improved.  I'm concerned that a few injuries might leave us in trouble, both with the secondary and the pass rush.

I also think the offense should be improved, but again, I'm afraid we might lose one of our new tight ends.  It's dangerous going over the middle.