November 22, 2017, 06:51:56 AM

Author Topic: National Anthem Protests  (Read 1281 times)

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
Re: National Anthem Protests
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 09:28:52 AM »
Who did they poll?  No one I know watched less NFL football because of the National Anthem protests.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 09:29:35 AM by Pugger »

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 12:57:04 PM »
Who did they poll?  No one I know watched less NFL football because of the National Anthem protests.
Neither do I.  I could see it if someone was a very casual fan though, someone who really didn't care if they watched football or not.  For someone whom it would be a coin flip to watch the game or a movie, I could see them not wanting to be exposed to any negativity or politics on a Sunday afternoon.

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 08:22:06 PM »
"The pollster said it asked more than 9,200 people who attended either one football, basketball or hockey game whether they tuned into fewer games and why. Twenty-six percent of those who watched fewer games last season said that national anthem protests, some of which were led by Colin Kaepernick, were the reason."

Who those 9200 people were, no idea. Like you, I didn't curb my NFL addiction because of this.

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 09:35:04 AM »
Who those 9200 people were, no idea. Like you, I didn't curb my NFL addiction because of this.
How many people do you know who watched fewer NFL games at all though, for any reason?  For people who did, I could see some wanting to avoid politics as a reason.  Then you've got the hardcore military supporters.  We're talking about 2,392 people here.  I don't personally know of anyone who watched less football last year, but NFL ratings were down 20%.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 09:52:54 AM »
How many people do you know who watched fewer NFL games at all though, for any reason?  For people who did, I could see some wanting to avoid politics as a reason.  Then you've got the hardcore military supporters.  We're talking about 2,392 people here.  I don't personally know of anyone who watched less football last year, but NFL ratings were down 20%.

I think if more likely people are using polls to simply bitch about something. If they're truly "football fans" - avid watchers - I think it stretches credulity they'd let this behavior be swayed by something as innocuous as a two minute "kneel down" that got limited coverage (at best) by any/all of the TV stations.   twocents)

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 12:00:13 PM »
I think if more likely people are using polls to simply bitch about something. If they're truly "football fans" - avid watchers - I think it stretches credulity they'd let this behavior be swayed by something as innocuous as a two minute "kneel down"
Agreed, that's why I said I could see it affecting very casual fans.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 07:58:47 PM »
I've found myself watching football less for all those reasons they listed. It wasn't the National Anthem protest, but their coverage of it that began to turn me off. It was the push I needed to not really watch any games other than Packer ones.

Used to watch football all day on the weekends when I could. Now I find myself avoiding the TV room entirely and finding a better activity for everyone.

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 07:25:53 AM »

I think if more likely people are using polls to simply bitch about something. If they're truly "football fans" - avid watchers - I think it stretches credulity they'd let this behavior be swayed by something as innocuous as a two minute "kneel down" that got limited coverage (at best) by any/all of the TV stations.   twocents)
Whqat is "innocuous" to you isn't automatically innocuous to everyone else.  As mentioned in the OP, you have the hardcore military supporters and military veterans themselves. Many of them see was you call innocuous as an insult to those who defended that flag that Kap and others used to protest. The NFL didn't do anything about it. So, why does it "stretch credulity" for those people to not watch the NFL because the players are allowed to do something that they fell insults the millitary while league sits there and do nothing?

As for "limited coverage",  ESPN pretty much proves that one wrong. ESPN was talking about the protests non-stop. The 24 hour cable news outlets were talking about it daily. The actual protest may not have been shown on TV, but "limited coverage" did not happen. 

I think it is very disrespectful of you to imply those polled are not real fans and insulting to say they are only using the polls to bitch about something, especially when there absolutely are groups of people that you can legitimately argue would not watch the NFL for the reasons stated in the poll.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 07:27:45 AM by cpk1994 »
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline Shanedorf

• All Pro
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 05:15:19 PM »
Agreed, that's why I said I could see it affecting very casual fans.

It is the casual fans, but those are the fans the league and networks desire the most.
They know they will get our diehard eyeballs and kind of take us for granted - but its the new casuals they are after because it means mo' money and ratings.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • Where are we?
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline raptorman

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 03:29:41 PM »
You want to know why ratings are down?   In my view, lack of parity.  The more the NFL tries to make things even the more they screw it up. 
Something new coming soon!

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 07:23:22 AM »
Police, EMS Refuse to Hold Flag at Browns Opener After Players Kneel

An interesting comment off Twitter.....

"So the cops are...not participating...in the National Anthem ceremony...as a form of...protest?"

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 09:22:30 AM »
Police, EMS Refuse to Hold Flag at Browns Opener After Players Kneel

Bad move.  The police and EMS should hold the flag regardless.  I like McCarthys approach to the flag with regard to his team,  its the best I've seen yet, and I wish more head coaches would follow it.

Offline walker16

• All Pro
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 02:22:04 PM »
We are older, have changed life styles. Badgers or Packers....otherwise rarely watch.
Very often have them on the radio or headphones. Prefer badger & packer radio over the tv.

All our friends & family are the same. Host of reasons. But when its no longer entertainment....

Get out and go to a high school game and enjoy.
Talk to your neighbors & watch some football & a marching band.
Cheap night out & alot more enjoyable.