September 23, 2017, 03:07:10 PM

Author Topic: The Flat Earth Disease  (Read 524 times)

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
The Flat Earth Disease
« on: July 29, 2017, 11:07:10 PM »
I'm curious to know how many of us here actually know there are people today who believe the Earth is flat, that the dinosaurs never existed, and the flat Earth is encased in giant glass bubble. Fake moon landings and the FAKE International Space Station are also associated with these people. It all ties into one utterly ridiculous conspiracy.

Some of them who have even graduated from college with degrees, professional athletes, and seemingly smart people. It's not just a small trend. It has quite the following with amateur YouTubers making videos debunking every fact that says the Earth is round. I would urge people to look them up, but it is quite a ways down the rabbit hole. With A-list stars like Kyrie Irving and just today DJ Reader of the Houston Texans was outed by JJ Watt telling everyone on Twitter that Reader believes dinosaurs are fake.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/07/jj-watt-dj-reader-dinosaurs-fake-dont-believe-houston-texans

IMO, this is a big social problem. Much like American Universities people like me are under attack trying to "conserve" intelligence and education. Especially when it affects college graduates who don't study this stuff. Nobody coming out of an American University should come out believing or even entertaining the idea that Earth is flat. Even Liberty University doesn't subscribe to that one. These conspirators come up to you showing you all these videos citing laws of physics while disregarding others to explain how if the Earth was round all the water would be at the south pole. They like to come up with fake laws too like the "law of perception," which isn't a law, to explain how the north pole only moves around one star and the constellations/stars in the sky don't change there.

If there are any "flat earthers" here I protest you come forth and defend your position. I came equipped.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: The Flat Earth Disease
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 06:55:27 AM »
Crazy-stupid stuff Clay. Hard to believe there are growing numbers of people who actually subscribe to this way of thinking.

But please keep it neutral. Mentioning a particular institution of higher learning reveals a potential bias on your part.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 09:55:34 AM »
Here's an article on the phenomenon of belief in a flat earth:

http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/space/the-flat-earth-theory-has-seen-a-resurgence-with-people-trying-to-prove-our-planet-is-not-a-sphere/news-story/0bd1226fbe2e2bc819ec12733591e8c9

Doesn't matter that the Greeks knew the Earth was round through observation, or that the circumference of the Earth was calculated within a few miles by an ancient librarian who never left the grounds of the library to make his calculations. People are going to believe all kinds of nonsense. Though why no one believes that Elvis was the third gunman on the grassy knoll, when the evidence is so overwhelming, boggles my mind.  :o
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 12:49:30 PM »
Here's an article on the phenomenon of belief in a flat earth:

http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/space/the-flat-earth-theory-has-seen-a-resurgence-with-people-trying-to-prove-our-planet-is-not-a-sphere/news-story/0bd1226fbe2e2bc819ec12733591e8c9

Doesn't matter that the Greeks knew the Earth was round through observation, or that the circumference of the Earth was calculated within a few miles by an ancient librarian who never left the grounds of the library to make his calculations. People are going to believe all kinds of nonsense. Though why no one believes that Elvis was the third gunman on the grassy knoll, when the evidence is so overwhelming, boggles my mind.  :o

Flat earth, no dinosaurs, alien abduction, wendigo, abominable snowmen and the kraken - all true. At least, it was when I had those purple tablets with the little red flecks in
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 02:47:55 PM »
Crazy-stupid stuff Clay. Hard to believe there are growing numbers of people who actually subscribe to this way of thinking.

But please keep it neutral. Mentioning a particular institution of higher learning reveals a potential bias on your part.

I meant in terms of contrast. Even a place that actually does teach the dinosaurs weren't real doesn't teach the Earth is flat. I have nothing against Liberty University, but academia doesn't consider them a place of higher learning while other big name schools like Notre Dame are.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 03:14:10 PM »
Well, you mentioned Kyrie Irving (Duke) and DJ Reader (Clemson) in the OP, so what does academia have to say about those schools?

Maybe they're not considered places of higher learning either.

Anyway.............I agree with the premise of this thread. It's sad that schools aren't doing what they are supposed to be doing, and (so called) students are just flat-out stupid, or easily deluded.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 05:07:26 PM »
Well, you mentioned Kyrie Irving (Duke) and DJ Reader (Clemson) in the OP, so what does academia have to say about those schools?

Maybe they're not considered places of higher learning either.

Anyway.............I agree with the premise of this thread. It's sad that schools aren't doing what they are supposed to be doing, and (so called) students are just flat-out stupid, or easily deluded.

Not for most athletes they're not. Irving never even graduated from Duke much like most players of his caliber in college. I could get into this more, but it's not really what the thread is about. However, I would state it's not the college or university that makes it a place of higher learning, it's field the student studies. It's not often you have a pro athlete who gets a degree in something difficult like Mathematics or even furthering their degree and earn a Masters. Steven Hauschka has a B.A in Neuroscience, so it's not unheard of.

I'm only mildly criticizing professional athletes for their lackadaisical attitude towards their educations and colleges for being the way they are.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 08:18:47 PM »
It would be interesting to see what the demographic trends are with these people who adhere to these notions.

Any commonality?

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 10:54:24 PM »
It would be interesting to see what the demographic trends are with these people who adhere to these notions.
Any commonality?

I think that generally they could all be described as: nitwits   :) 

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 05:56:19 PM »

Any commonality?

You'd be surprised by the answer, not really. They range from all walks of life. From end time fanatics to a seemingly normal 20 something woman. Flat Earth stuff is more from the younger crowd, but if you broaden the scope it diversifies quickly.

I personally find some of the stuff pretty interesting and worth a debate, but most of this mainstream conspiracy stuff is just nonsense.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 09:21:01 PM »
The Earth is hollow, and that is where the flying saucers come from. The moon doesn't actually exist- it's a projection from the Earth. Humans and dinosaurs co-existed. They died out when they couldn't survive Noah's ark, which can be found on a mountaintop in Turkey. Lots of stuff out there. Is this stuff taught at a university level? Or taught at all in any school? Nope. But on the internet, the gullible meet the committed and, because of a lack of traiining in critical thinking and an increasing sense of losing one's place in the world, the "theories" gain traction.

By the way, I was taught that Columbus sailed to prove the world was round. I found out later this was another legend. And then found out a lot more about the realities of Columbus, and his four voyages to "Asia" (he never did admit he had found a new, unknown world).
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 11:05:06 PM »
The Earth is hollow, and that is where the flying saucers come from. The moon doesn't actually exist- it's a projection from the Earth. Humans and dinosaurs co-existed. They died out when they couldn't survive Noah's ark, which can be found on a mountaintop in Turkey. Lots of stuff out there. Is this stuff taught at a university level? Or taught at all in any school? Nope. But on the internet, the gullible meet the committed and, because of a lack of traiining in critical thinking and an increasing sense of losing one's place in the world, the "theories" gain traction.

By the way, I was taught that Columbus sailed to prove the world was round. I found out later this was another legend. And then found out a lot more about the realities of Columbus, and his four voyages to "Asia" (he never did admit he had found a new, unknown world).

Good points ricky. Historical events can be / have been bent out of shape or amended but over time, in a society and citizenry that values truth, eventually a rounded/full truth will become known - available to be considered and accepted. However, I cut no slack - none whatsoever - for any idiot(s) espousing Flat Earth theories. To me - that requires a determined / dogged stupidity and interest to refute known science and the compiled efforts and intelligence of thousands of people. Thats simply a bridge too far for me in so much as the theories aren't tied to any religious dogma or belief. They're proposed (and believed) as known, scientific fact. Idiots. 

Online Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 08:54:47 PM »
I'm curious to know how many of us here actually know there are people today who believe the Earth is flat, that the dinosaurs never existed, and the flat Earth is encased in giant glass bubble. Fake moon landings and the FAKE International Space Station are also associated with these people. It all ties into one utterly ridiculous conspiracy.

Some of them who have even graduated from college with degrees, professional athletes, and seemingly smart people. It's not just a small trend. It has quite the following with amateur YouTubers making videos debunking every fact that says the Earth is round. I would urge people to look them up, but it is quite a ways down the rabbit hole. With A-list stars like Kyrie Irving and just today DJ Reader of the Houston Texans was outed by JJ Watt telling everyone on Twitter that Reader believes dinosaurs are fake.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/07/jj-watt-dj-reader-dinosaurs-fake-dont-believe-houston-texans

IMO, this is a big social problem. Much like American Universities people like me are under attack trying to "conserve" intelligence and education. Especially when it affects college graduates who don't study this stuff. Nobody coming out of an American University should come out believing or even entertaining the idea that Earth is flat. Even Liberty University doesn't subscribe to that one. These conspirators come up to you showing you all these videos citing laws of physics while disregarding others to explain how if the Earth was round all the water would be at the south pole. They like to come up with fake laws too like the "law of perception," which isn't a law, to explain how the north pole only moves around one star and the constellations/stars in the sky don't change there.

If there are any "flat earthers" here I protest you come forth and defend your position. I came equipped.

I've always wondered, concerning that guy in your picture, of where he gets his hair cut? ;D