November 18, 2017, 06:06:07 AM

Author Topic: Defense Better in 2017 ?  (Read 3678 times)

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
Re: Defense Better in 2017 ?
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2017, 10:41:56 AM »
given the Packers overall success (in the last 30 years) you would probably find it impossible to find any team you can live with.
The fact that we have Aaron Rodgers, one of the best quarterbacks to ever play the game, gives the team a unique opportunity, which unfortunately has not been fully taken advantage of.  Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger have had the fortune to playing with better defenses than Rodgers has for the majority of their careers.  Rodgers deserves the same chance.

As I said before, I'm encouraged by Ted's draft picks this year, it looks he's headed in a positive direction.  But I don't think it's there yet, we need another good offseason at least.  I'd be happy to be wrong, of course.

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2017, 11:18:49 AM »
As I said before, I'm encouraged by Ted's draft picks this year, it looks he's headed in a positive direction.  But I don't think it's there yet, we need another good offseason at least.  I'd be happy to be wrong, of course.
We hear that line every year. Still terrible. And saying they are still a year away means wasting another career of Rodgers career. Boggles the mind that people are happy with that.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • Where are we?
« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2017, 11:30:39 AM »
cpk...we understand your view but your constant posts saying the SAME thing is getting old.

If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2017, 11:43:18 AM »
given the Packers overall success (in the last 30 years) you would probably find it impossible to find any team you can live with.
The fact that we have Aaron Rodgers, one of the best quarterbacks to ever play the game, gives the team a unique opportunity, which unfortunately has not been fully taken advantage of.  Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger have had the fortune to playing with better defenses than Rodgers has for the majority of their careers.  Rodgers deserves the same chance.

Brady has had a top 10 defense 12 different years.  Big Ben, 10 years.  Rodgers - 2. 
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2017, 11:58:14 AM »
Brady has had a top 10 defense 12 different years.  Big Ben, 10 years.  Rodgers - 2.
Lol, when I first looked at that, I read it as "Rodgers:  MINUS 2". 
Anyway, yeah Rodgers isn't getting the defensive support some QBs are getting, and he is having to do more with less, with smaller results.  We can do better.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2017, 12:52:30 PM »
Some cheese with the whine ? Really, is this the time to look backwards, on the very day we start the first game  of a brand new season. There were months of quiet time to have chewed over this.

Look at the bottom of this board (in 'General Category'), where it shows the most people online here, ever. 19 Jan 2015, the day the Packers lost to the Seahawks. Unhappiness promotes posting, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 01:08:46 PM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2017, 08:38:29 PM »
Speed.

That's the difference this year.  On about every passing down in the 1st half Dom brought a LB, CB, or safety blitz.  I think he's going to force the issue with 5 rushers so his secondary doesnt need to cover for 5 seconds. 

I like the idea.  I hope it works.
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #82 on: August 10, 2017, 10:26:43 PM »
Speed.

That's the difference this year.  On about every passing down in the 1st half Dom brought a LB, CB, or safety blitz.  I think he's going to force the issue with 5 rushers so his secondary doesnt need to cover for 5 seconds.
I haven't seen the game yet, they're not running it here until tomorrow on the NFL Network.  I do like the move toward more speed.  So I'm asking:
They were so slow last year.  Can there be that much of a difference between then and now?

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2017, 08:26:53 AM »
The Nitro package looks intriguing to me at this point.

Last night they played a variant of it where in the 3-3 setup they shift Matthews back to ILB, and Lowry becomes a hand in the dirt DE.  Talk about setting an edge- Lowry is pretty stout out there and it allows a pretty good run front while having good coverage options in back.  Matthews becomes a wild card-

Seems like the 3-3-5 gives the multiplicity of fronts that work to our advantage with matchups.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2017, 08:12:33 AM »
Even if you're optimistic about the defense this year, given the results of the last six seasons, I would wait until the defense proves itself before I get too excited.  There are a lot of question marks.  Personally, I think it will take another good offseason to put it where it needs to be.  At that's probably best case scenario.

Too bad it's going to take another good offseason before this defense is good enough to win. And that's probably best case scenario.