September 25, 2017, 03:33:55 PM

Author Topic: 2018 Draft  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
2018 Draft
« on: August 04, 2017, 09:05:07 AM »
Check out this guy's arm. It's "Dan Marino-like".
Cant say what kind of smarts he's got, but put him into the NFL right now. He can make the throws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkA4MzHFV8A

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
Re: 2018 Draft
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 01:15:51 PM »
Cant say what kind of smarts he's got, but put him into the NFL right now. He can make the throws.

Looks like he can extend the play with his feet too!  So many guys take off and run, he seems to use his feet to keep the pass play alive.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 10:12:36 AM »

Some of those throws are just sick. Shall I say, Aaron Rodgersesque! Not sure about his ability to read defenses and all the nuances of the game, but with that arm, he's getting drafted pretty high.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 10:37:00 AM »

Some of those throws are just sick. Shall I say, Aaron Rodgersesque! Not sure about his ability to read defenses and all the nuances of the game, but with that arm, he's getting drafted pretty high.

Thats exactly what I thought. I dont know anything about this guy but that arm is better than anybody I saw in this years draft. 

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 11:57:38 AM »
There have been many QBs with excellent arm strength that have been busts. Ryan Leaf had the big arm, and at the time some thought he should have been drafted above Peyton Manning.   facepalm)

Certainly an NFL QB needs a minimum arm strength to flourish, but to my mind you have to answer three main questions.
1) Can he read a defense - that's the biggest reason a QB that has done well in college, fails in the NFL. Without being in the guys head, it can be rather difficult to work that one out - though GMs/Scouts who can question him using film, clips can go a long way to sort this out.
2) Can he put the ball where he wants to put it (this is where arm strength helps, but it also needs accuracy and touch)
3) Can he move enough in the pocket to buy a little time (statues, even big-built guys, don't tend to do well in the NFL).

There's a ton of other important things like leadership and durability, but for me the three things I mentioned are key.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 12:47:32 PM »
There is so much to like about Allen.

First, his size, he is 6' 5" and 222 lbs.  Plus with that size he can still move around in the pocket.  And he extends plays that way.

He has a very good arm, very strong.  But with that, he can still maintain accuracy over long distances.

If you can buy it, he was not highly recruited.  That is how he ended up at Wyoming.  The coach believed in him and decided to build his offense around him.

The amazing thing about Allen, is that he is not the highest rated QB in this draft.  There are two guys in front of him.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 03:10:41 PM »
There have been many QBs with excellent arm strength that have been busts. Ryan Leaf had the big arm, and at the time some thought he should have been drafted above Peyton Manning.   facepalm)

Certainly an NFL QB needs a minimum arm strength to flourish, but to my mind you have to answer three main questions.
1) Can he read a defense - that's the biggest reason a QB that has done well in college, fails in the NFL. Without being in the guys head, it can be rather difficult to work that one out - though GMs/Scouts who can question him using film, clips can go a long way to sort this out.
2) Can he put the ball where he wants to put it (this is where arm strength helps, but it also needs accuracy and touch)
3) Can he move enough in the pocket to buy a little time (statues, even big-built guys, don't tend to do well in the NFL).

There's a ton of other important things like leadership and durability, but for me the three things I mentioned are key.

I think you are missing one of the biggest points and that is can the kid be a leader? You aren't a great QB unless you can lead men.

According to the film he's got #3 down. . He only completed 56% of his passes last year against inferior competition. Like I said, he'll get drafted high, overdrafted because he's a QB. Can he flourish in the NFL? That remains to be seen.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 04:16:31 PM »
I didn't miss it, I mentioned it. However, I think its an easier skill to build over time, which is why I don't have it as one of my three key choices.

Doing the three things I mentioned well, increases confidence, and that helps you toward being a leader. Many of the QB's who are inaccurate, cannot read a defense, or are immobile, never improve these skills to the required standard. To thrive in the NFL. I'd much rather take a QB with those skills even if he isn't a natural leader yet.

Back when Aaron Rodgers was drafted he wasn't special as a leader, that came after time on the Packers bench, gaining experience. By contrast Kaepernick always struggled to read a defense and still does - they tried to counter that with giving him half-field reads, but opposing coordinators catch on to that pretty fast and use it against him.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 04:19:27 PM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline MO.Pack

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 06:45:15 PM »
Alot of those deep passes went to Tanner Gentry, a 6'2" 210 lbs WR who the Bears signed after the draft and put on their practice squad after the cutdown.
Interesting to see how he pans out.