November 20, 2017, 01:34:25 AM

Author Topic: Mike McCarthy Gives Players Lesson on National Anthem  (Read 2027 times)

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • Where are we?
Mike McCarthy Gives Players Lesson on National Anthem
« on: August 18, 2017, 02:42:22 PM »

Mike McCarthy doesn’t know if anyone on his sideline will join the ranks of NFL players using the national anthem as an opportunity to protest.

But if they do, the Green Bay Packers coach can say this for certain: They will do so with a knowledge of the history of the anthem and an understanding of how important he believes it is.

Read more....
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
Re: Mike McCarthy Gives Players Lesson on National Anthem
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 05:47:13 PM »
You can see by the comments on that article that many football fans consider this protest as disrespectful to flag and country.
Football players are employees.  How many employees do you know that are allowed to come to work, and on the job, make political statements and offend the customers?

Yet I watch these talking head sports shows like Undisputed, and if anyone questions the method that these athletes use to protest, then they are called cowards and closet racists.  They want the right to protest, but no one has the right to question them.  Why stop at sitting for the anthem?  Why not just spit on the flag and be done with it?  No one could question them.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 08:53:00 PM »
You can see by the comments on that article that many football fans consider this protest as disrespectful to flag and country.
Football players are employees.  How many employees do you know that are allowed to come to work, and on the job, make political statements and offend the customers?

Yet I watch these talking head sports shows like Undisputed, and if anyone questions the method that these athletes use to protest, then they are called cowards and closet racists.  They want the right to protest, but no one has the right to question them.  Why stop at sitting for the anthem?  Why not just spit on the flag and be done with it?  No one could question them.

I know right. I'm substituting, but it friggin pisses me off.

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 11:56:15 PM »
If they want to protest, there's nothing wrong with that.  I just think they're going about it in the wrong way.  As the article said, protesting the anthem is polarizing.  That's another way of saying it is divisive.  The protesters are deepening the divide in the country, when we should be sowing unity.

I would say first off, not in the workplace. 
And secondly, ticking off the people who are paying your salary (the fans) is a bad idea.  It's ungrateful and disrespectful.  "Your flag is not worth standing for" is the message they are sending.

Shannon Sharpe said the other day "We have to make the protests a little uncomfortable for you, or you'll go back to doing the same old thing".  Again, I disagree, that's divisive.  Martin Luther King never disrespected the flag.  And I would bet most people in the stands never shot anyone either.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 08:47:02 AM »
If they want to protest, there's nothing wrong with that.  I just think they're going about it in the wrong way.  As the article said, protesting the anthem is polarizing.  That's another way of saying it is divisive.  The protesters are deepening the divide in the country, when we should be sowing unity.

I would say first off, not in the workplace. 
And secondly, ticking off the people who are paying your salary (the fans) is a bad idea.  It's ungrateful and disrespectful.  "Your flag is not worth standing for" is the message they are sending.

Shannon Sharpe said the other day "We have to make the protests a little uncomfortable for you, or you'll go back to doing the same old thing".  Again, I disagree, that's divisive.  Martin Luther King never disrespected the flag.  And I would bet most people in the stands never shot anyone either.

I honestly don't believe they care about the object or idea they are protesting. Therein lies the problem, they don't care about America. They don't care about the country, it's citizens, or ideas that allow them to make millions of dollars. They care about their people and their communities and their values, which isn't bad it's just... divisive.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 08:54:11 AM »
I honestly don't believe they care about the object or idea they are protesting. Therein lies the problem, they don't care about America. They don't care about the country, it's citizens, or ideas that allow them to make millions of dollars. They care about their people and their communities and their values, which isn't bad it's just... divisive.

Opinion noted and welcomed, but a tad on the overboard side no? They dont care about America or its citizens....or the object/idea they're protesting? I wont presume to know whats in the heads/hearts of these people - but apparently they care enough about it to make a statement/protest.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 08:54:53 AM by Leader »

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 09:01:33 AM »

Opinion noted and welcomed, but a tad on the overboard side no? They dont care about America or its citizens....or the object/idea they're protesting? I wont presume to know whats in the heads/hearts of these people - but apparently they care enough about it to make a statement/protest.

They care about their people and their communities and their values.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 09:12:59 AM »

I dont see or consider them less patriotic and cant say "they dont care for America or its citizens".

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 09:35:44 AM »
I dont see or consider them less patriotic and cant say "they dont care for America or its citizens".

I do and I can.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 10:14:29 AM »

I wouldn't watch Undisputed even if it was the only show on the air.

It is a free country and those players can do what they please.  I don't like it but we as a nation cannot blast people who have a different opinion than our own.  This kind of thinking is tearing the country apart.  Remember what Evelyn Beatrice Hall said in 1906 -- "I Disapprove of What You Say, But I Will Defend to the Death Your Right to Say It"

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2017, 10:33:57 AM »

I wouldn't watch Undisputed even if it was the only show on the air.

It is a free country and those players can do what they please.  I don't like it but we as a nation cannot blast people who have a different opinion than our own.  This kind of thinking is tearing the country apart.  Remember what Evelyn Beatrice Hall said in 1906 -- "I Disapprove of What You Say, But I Will Defend to the Death Your Right to Say It"

thumbsup)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 11:05:11 AM »

Who exactly is 'their people'? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing you are talking about a group of people who's skin pigmentation is different than yours.

As for 'their communities', I can't fault anyone for wanting better for their community. I would find it disappointing if someone didn't care about their community.

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2017, 01:23:30 PM »
It is a free country and those players can do what they please.
They have every right to protest, but they're on the job.  They're wearing the uniforms and representing their franchise, and league.  Can you go to your job and offend customers by making political statements?  Or is that better left for after hours, on your personal time?

As for tearing the country apart, I would say that refusing to stand for the country is already saying they are separating themselves.  That's why I think it is a mistake, and divisive.  Despite what Shannon Sharpe says, I don't think it's necessary, or even advisable, to offend people when making a protest.  It's inflammatory.

I have no problem whatsoever with anyone wanting to protest.  But I think the way they are going about it is doing more harm than good.

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2017, 01:45:55 PM »

It isn't overboard. There are plenty in this country who hate this country and think it is bad. At best, those who are protesting during the anthem and those that blindly defend it are ignorant to the fact they are dividing this country further.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2017, 01:47:00 PM »
As for tearing the country apart, I would say that refusing to stand for the country is already saying they are separating themselves.  That's why I think it is a mistake, and divisive.  Despite what Shannon Sharpe says, I don't think it's necessary, or even advisable, to offend people when making a protest.  It's inflammatory.

I have no problem whatsoever with anyone wanting to protest.  But I think the way they are going about it is doing more harm than good.
Shannon Sharpe is an idiot.

Who exactly is 'their people'? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing you are talking about a group of people who's skin pigmentation is different than yours.

As for 'their communities', I can't fault anyone for wanting better for their community. I would find it disappointing if someone didn't care about their community.
They say they want better for their communities, but then their actions, or lack there of,  do absolutely squat for those same communities. What are THEY actually doing to clean up their communities?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 01:49:25 PM by cpk1994 »
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith