November 20, 2017, 01:29:42 AM

Author Topic: Mike McCarthy Gives Players Lesson on National Anthem  (Read 2026 times)

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: Mike McCarthy Gives Players Lesson on National Anthem
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2017, 05:03:03 AM »
In England (and most of Europe) they only play the national anthem at international games. That just seems a more natural choice to me.

(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2017, 10:13:48 AM »
In England (and most of Europe) they only play the national anthem at international games. That just seems a more natural choice to me.

Exactly. I was at the Rockies / Brewers game Sunday and it really seemed excessive. Stand for the military entrance, stand for the national anthem, stand for a trumpet rendition of god bless America between one of the innings. I felt like I was at mass lol. Probably getting off topic a bit though......

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2017, 10:38:21 PM »
Let them have their stupid protests! They have the right of free speech.  IMHO, It is stupid to protest this country when you're making millions playing a kids game! They act like a bunch of spoiled brats.

But aside from that, the problem as I see it is all of the attention they are getting, If the networks would stop showing this crap and everyone would ignore it, I feel it would go away of it's own accord. twocents) twocents) twocents)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 10:39:12 PM by Bignutz »

Offline DWhitehurst

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2017, 02:49:04 PM »
Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas made an important point this past week in an interview he gave. He said, “We have the pluribus, where is the unum? What is there that binds us?"

I think much of this NFL anthem controversy is symptomatic of what Justice Thomas speaks of concerning the state of our country as a whole. I mean, love for professional sports is something that is held in common by people of all political persuasions.

Politics is what divides us--always has and always will. Hence, to mix politics (and partisan and/or special interest kind of politics to boot) into professional sports is gonna instill division into that which had been a uniting thing, where a Hillary supporter and Trump supporter could cheer on the Packers, find unity in that, or where a Bears fan and Packers fan could at least find unity in a common love for the game of football.

I thought the same could be so with the anthem and the flag (I'd add God, but the whole "one nation under God thing" is long gone), which by their nature speak to us being Americans, of one and the same nation, before the undeniable diversity comes in regarding race, culture, color, creed, political persuasion, etc.  There are many things that by their very nature tend to divide us, whether they should divide us as much as they do or not. So much so that recognizing our "Diversity" as Americans has reached such a hyper level that any attempt to also recognize where we have "Unity" is increasingly ignored if not disregarded and stepped on.  There are things which undeniably diversify us, but there are also thinga which unify us whether we admit it or not.  Sadly,  as wrong as it is to deny/downplay the the things which are diverse if not divide sometimes, so also wrong is to disregard those few things left which could unite us...as they are being sullied, taken away.

In my opiniion, professional sports, in a pure form free of partisan politics and/or special interests, is one of those things that I think is being sullied. An anthem and flag--things meant to point out where we have unity--are not divisive when added to professional sports event. Now, a special tribute to one political party or another certainly would be. (I'd add special interest group advocacy, like wearing pink, regardless of how good the special interest group might appear to be.) But that is not what is going on with anthem/flag, which is not politics but is simply patriotism. By mixing politics into sport, it's similar to when you pay to go to a rock concert, and the lead singer suddenly has to bash by name some political figure or another. I mean, I came to hear your music, not your politics.

Do they have a right to grind their axes in whatever forum they choose? Sure. Just as their boss has a right to fire them, or their market base has a right to not pay for their product anymore. But is it wise? Is it really constructive? Does it lead to more unity, or more division?

I hope in time this changes, that we can keep partisan politics/special interests out of the NFL, moved to an appropriate forum where such matters can and should take place. Time will tell...But for the meantime, I think Judge Thomas has made a telling point where things are right now.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 03:24:07 PM by DWhitehurst »

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2017, 10:04:52 PM »
You can see by the comments on that article that many football fans consider this protest as disrespectful to flag and country.
Football players are employees.  How many employees do you know that are allowed to come to work, and on the job, make political statements and offend the customers?

Yet I watch these talking head sports shows like Undisputed, and if anyone questions the method that these athletes use to protest, then they are called cowards and closet racists.  They want the right to protest, but no one has the right to question them.  Why stop at sitting for the anthem?  Why not just spit on the flag and be done with it?  No one could question them.

Why anyone would waste valuable time watching those 2 clowns is beyond my comprehension.   :P

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2017, 10:10:40 PM »
I'm pleased that no Packer players have so far chosen not to stand for the anthem.  Maybe McCarthy's history lesson does some good.  McCarthy comes off kind of like a school teacher, doesn't he?

By the way, I was not aware of this, but apparently Kaepernick had decided to stand for the anthem this year.  Only problem is, so far no one has hired him.  I don't know how I missed that news, considering how much sports content I watch.  Here's the pertinent quote from the article below:
"In March, on the cusp of becoming a free agent, Kaepernick's camp made the preemptive announcement that he would stand during the national anthem in 2017. "He no longer wants his method of protest to detract from the positive change he believes has been created" ESPN's Adam Schefter reported."

I'm not sure what positive change he is talking about.  I guess he believes he has raised awareness of the police brutality issue, but that issue was already being discussed with the Black Lives Matter campaign that had been going on.  But apparently even he admits that his chosen method of protest could be a distraction. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jerrybarca/2017/08/08/spike-lee-announces-rally-for-colin-kaepernick-at-nfl-headquarters/#70f600614dde

Had someone on the 49ers said to Kaepernick 2 years ago to knock it off and stand for the anthem or be fined this wouldn't be an issue today.