December 16, 2017, 10:44:28 AM

Author Topic: Injuries  (Read 1140 times)

Online golfman

• HOF Member
Injuries
« on: August 18, 2017, 08:25:31 PM »
I believe I heard on TV today the Baltimore Ravens have already lost 9 players for the year to injury. That is frightening to hear. I'm not sure if injuries are up or down this year at this point, but you talk about snake bitten if true for Baltimore.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Injuries
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 06:35:32 AM »
The Seahawks just lost their starting LT. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/19/seahawks-confirm-george-fant-needs-acl-surgery/ Injuries are part of the game, but it seems this year a lot of players are being waived with injury settlements, as well as guys going down with serious problems.

Here's an article that tracks NFL injuries from 2000-2014. However, losing a player can impact a team, but not all losses are equal. Duh.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2015/nfl-injuries-part-i-overall-view
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 07:38:18 AM »
The Seahawks just lost their starting LT. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/19/seahawks-confirm-george-fant-needs-acl-surgery/ Injuries are part of the game, but it seems this year a lot of players are being waived with injury settlements, as well as guys going down with serious problems.

Here's an article that tracks NFL injuries from 2000-2014. However, losing a player can impact a team, but not all losses are equal. Duh.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2015/nfl-injuries-part-i-overall-view

It will interesting to see how Seattle handles this lose. Do they move Joeckel out from LG or do they move Ifedi over from RT? They paid Joeckel a big contract to come and play guard, a position he has played fairly well. Yet he has for the most part failed at tackle. Interesting to see how the pieces come together for the Seahawks, regardless it is a big blow to Seattle.

Online golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 08:01:59 AM »

It will interesting to see how Seattle handles this lose. Do they move Joeckel out from LG or do they move Ifedi over from RT? They paid Joeckel a big contract to come and play guard, a position he has played fairly well. Yet he has for the most part failed at tackle. Interesting to see how the pieces come together for the Seahawks, regardless it is a big blow to Seattle.

Based on last night they moved Joeckel out to LT. Ifedi struggles in pass protection at RT, he'd be a disaster at LT. They had better pray for good health the rest of the way because their depth is poor at best on the o-line. Wilson might be running for his life again this year.

That injury to Fant, was tough to watch and it came from friendly fire.

Offline Toddfather

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 12:58:53 PM »
Patriots lose Edelman to torn ACL for the year... I think we can all feel their pain on that one.

Online golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 01:23:11 PM »
Patriots lose Edelman to torn ACL for the year... I think we can all feel their pain on that one.

For sure but they are pretty stacked at skilled position players. They picked up Braden Cooks this off season as well. He'll fill in the slot for Edelman just fine. However, if Gronk goes down like he usually does, they are no where near as good as last year on offense.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 01:45:24 PM »
What has surprised and appalled me is the assumption that the Patriots are going to win the SB this year (OK, technically next year). Even the loss of Edelman was brushed aside with "they're so loaded, they won't miss him". Doesn't anyone remember it took an epic Patriot comeback/Falcon meltdown to win last year? Anyway, injuries are a part of the game. Still, it's better to have that loss early, rather than later. See Raiders, Oakland as the latest team to find this our.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 02:57:04 PM »
What has surprised and appalled me is the assumption that the Patriots are going to win the SB this year (OK, technically next year). Even the loss of Edelman was brushed aside with "they're so loaded, they won't miss him". Doesn't anyone remember it took an epic Patriot comeback/Falcon meltdown to win last year? Anyway, injuries are a part of the game. Still, it's better to have that loss early, rather than later. See Raiders, Oakland as the latest team to find this our.

By whom? No one on this thread has mentioned that. I did find it interesting how they were graded so high for their draft when they hardly selected anybody. It was because of the 'great trades' they made. Now Kony Ealy is on the trade/cut block which means that trade was a bust. Not sure Cooks is exactly lighting it up either in the preseason games.

I've never thougth they were going to repeat. The body can't take that pounding it takes to play those 3 additional games and the extra 5-6 weeks of the season. I think Atlanta and NE will have a set back record wise this year.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 03:48:55 PM »

By whom? No one on this thread has mentioned that. I did find it interesting how they were graded so high for their draft when they hardly selected anybody. It was because of the 'great trades' they made. Now Kony Ealy is on the trade/cut block which means that trade was a bust. Not sure Cooks is exactly lighting it up either in the preseason games.

I've never thougth they were going to repeat. The body can't take that pounding it takes to play those 3 additional games and the extra 5-6 weeks of the season. I think Atlanta and NE will have a set back record wise this year.

I find it somewhat funny how people think everything the Patriots do is smarter than the other 31 teams, when in reality the only 2 things that they have the edge on is Belichick as a X's and O's guy and their willingness to do anything to win. Because of their success they get added credit for every deal they do in the personnel side, but their strike rate isn't the greatest with the draft or trades. In the the spring when they traded for Ealy, many in the media raved about how the Panthers got fleeced.

Mike Garafolo‏Verified account
@MikeGarafolo
Follow
More
Patriots are releasing DE Kony Ealy, source said. Tried him in their scheme. Not a similar style to Ninkovich so it didn't work out.

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 01:41:45 AM »
When it comes to the Pats, you can't argue with success.

Online golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 05:56:00 PM »
Bears lose top WR Meredith or year with ACL.
Chiefs lose Rb Ware for what they think is the year wiht PCL and MCL tear.

The hits keep coming!

Online Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 08:28:11 AM »

If you read other sites online a lot of people think the Pats are gonna win it all going away.

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/18614149/nfl-latest-odds-all-32-teams-win-super-bowl-lii

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2707241-patriots-favored-in-updated-super-bowl-52-odds-after-2017-nfl-draft

http://www.footballlocks.com/nfl_futures_odds_super_bowl_lii.shtml

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 09:16:27 AM »
Knock on wood, keep our fingers crosses, hopefully the Packers can keep the injuries to a minimum. Not the case for every team yesterday.

49ers First-Round LB Reuben Foster Carted Off With Ankle Injury

Ravens Fear RB Danny Woodhead Will Miss “Significant Amount Of Time” With Hamstring Injury

Cowboys CB Orlando Scandrick Undergoing Surgery For Broken Hand, Could Be Back In Week 3

Steelers Concerned DE Stephon Tuitt Has Season-Ending Torn Biceps

Jaguars WR Allen Robinson Out For Season With ACL Tear

Cardinals RB David Johnson Could Miss “Few Weeks” Or “Half Season Or More” With Wrist Sprain

Bears Fear WR Kevin White Out For Season With Broken Collarbone

Eagles CB Ronald Darby Has Dislocated Ankle, MRI To Confirm If It’s Season-Ending

It's a hard game and those are some tough losses for some teams.