September 24, 2017, 11:33:15 PM

Author Topic: House #1  (Read 1677 times)

Offline Redt

• Starter
House #1
« on: August 22, 2017, 09:14:58 PM »
Am I the only one who is concerned that D. House is our  #1 cb. Have not seen a single snap in preseason, never has been a #1 cb anywhere. I still believe this defense is full of weaknesses and despite many draft resources Rodgers will be solely responsible for our success, we should expect better after 25 years of top 5 qb play.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: House #1
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 09:36:55 PM »
You have brought up House being the #1 CB thing before, but when he was signed it was only as a stopgap measure. I thought at signing that he would be the 3rd best CB and now after the draft and into TC, I think he is probably the 4th or 5th. Barring a rash of injuries the defense as a whole will be just fine.

As for that last part, only you can get yourself out of that self inflicted misery of believing you are entitled to more success in the last 25 years.

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 11:23:34 PM »
No one has any idea how the CB depth chart is going to shake out. I thought King and Rollins looked good last game.

Online cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 06:41:29 AM »
Just the PS, and Skins were without Jordan Reed.  (2 huuuge qualifiers there) BUT - out pass rush was terrible and our CB's held up vs a guy who completed 68% of his passes last year.

That is as good a sign as I can think of. 
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Online golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 09:16:44 AM »
I guess I'm going to see the glass half full rather than half empty. I think we have enough guys who are improving to be good at the position. I think House will start week 1 and would not surprise me if he played well. Randall, Rollins, King and Hawkins have all shown signs this preseason of improvement/potential. So much so that our #1 CB last year, Gunter, may find himself struggling to be a gameday active. He could possibly be cut which to me would be a surprise.

"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline SDProfessor

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 11:16:09 AM »
House is probably our best man-to-man cover corner right now. He arguably was in his last year with the Pack too outside of Shields (who was a legit #1 IMO).

Offline Shanedorf

• All Pro
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 12:10:21 PM »
House is probably our best man-to-man cover corner right now. He arguably was in his last year with the Pack too outside of Shields (who was a legit #1 IMO).

Agreed, House is better than some are giving him credit for. I've read some really good stuff about him from people's who's football opinions I value. His lack of reps isn't a huge concern as he's a 7 year vet with several years in this system. I'm not expecting mental errors to be an issue and given the comments from the coaches on his increased leadership and communication, he's going to play a pivotal role on Sundays and in the CB room.

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 01:38:03 PM »
If defensive backs can stay healthy, I am expecting much improved performance from CBs this year over last year.

We shall see.

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 06:57:47 PM »
You have brought up House being the #1 CB thing before, but when he was signed it was only as a stopgap measure. I thought at signing that he would be the 3rd best CB and now after the draft and into TC, I think he is probably the 4th or 5th. Barring a rash of injuries the defense as a whole will be just fine.
We have hear that same tired line for the past several years. The defense hasn't been fine since 2010. They have to prove they will be fine. They have long lost the benefit of the doubt.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Online cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 07:32:47 PM »
I agree, cpk.  They do have to prove it. 

I tend to think this is one of the faster and deeper defenses that we've seen in some time.  We don't want to see OLB depth tested for sure, but elsewhere we have guys that can fill in well. 

Last year's secondary performance should become a distant memory if the play of our DB's continues down it's current trajectory.
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 07:46:06 PM »
We have hear that same tired line for the past several years. The defense hasn't been fine since 2010. They have to prove they will be fine. They have long lost the benefit of the doubt.

In your world, they're not fine until they prove it. In my world, they're fine until they prove they are not.

This year is a new year. The players on this team don't need to carry the baggage of past generations. This defense will be fine. 

Offline Toddfather

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 09:00:02 PM »

They were on a good run in 2014 before the implosion. I'm not saying they will be great, but I like the pieces we added. Now let's see if our 1st and 2nd round corners come back strong.

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 12:27:49 AM »
I have doubts about our defense also.  But I think our DB is much improved over what we had last year.

IMO, King and House were good pickups.  And Rollins and Randall should be better.  Hawkins had played well.

And we have good depth at safety to back up two above average starters.

The proof is in the pudding of course, but if I was a betting man, I would bet on this group being much improved.

My worries are in the front seven, not the back four.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2017, 06:08:30 AM »
I have doubts about our defense also.  But I think our DB is much improved over what we had last year.

IMO, King and House were good pickups.  And Rollins and Randall should be better.  Hawkins had played well.

And we have good depth at safety to back up two above average starters.

The proof is in the pudding of course, but if I was a betting man, I would bet on this group being much improved.

My worries are in the front seven, not the back four.

Sorry, but that made me laugh........... hysterical

I wonder if MM considers HHCD & Burnett "above average starters".

JMHO...................I would consider them in the top 5-6 tandems in the NFL..................but, that's just me.  ;)

Online golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 07:42:53 AM »
My biggest concern with the defense is the worry about Capers. I'm wondering if the game has somewhat passed him by. Kind of like when Tom Landry refused to move off the 'flex' defense he designed when teams had figured it out years before his dismissal.

I do not doubt the talent on the defense but they have to be put in the proper position to succeed.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "