November 19, 2017, 09:59:42 PM

Author Topic: House #1  (Read 2011 times)

Offline craig

• HOF Member
Re: House #1
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 08:00:37 AM »
....I tend to think this is one of the faster and deeper defenses that we've seen in some time.  We don't want to see OLB depth tested for sure, but elsewhere we have guys that can fill in well. 

Last year's secondary performance should become a distant memory if the play of our DB's continues down it's current trajectory.

I think ILB, safety, and corner seem to have depth. 

OLB, not. 

DL, Daniels, Clark, Lowry  look hopeful.  Think the drop if any of them go down for long could be pretty sharp? 

Offline Redt

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2017, 01:20:08 PM »
Last year before the season started everyone was very optimistic about the CB's, then Sheilds went down and our promising young CB's were exposed when the real bullets started flying. I still feel like we have a bunch of unproven guys and that we may see a repeat of last year.

Additionally, the OLB situation is bleak, CMIII no longer requires double teams and often speed rushes to the outside leaving gaping holes on his side, oh yeah and often injured. Perry is solid when healthy and hopefully he plays a full 16. Fackerel and Eliott have a lot to prove and I don't expect much from Beigel due to lost time and lack of explosiveness.

This combination of weak pass rush and young/unproven CB's is a recipe for disaster. I hope I am wrong and King progresses quickly as a shut down CB and the others remain healthy and we end up with a top 15 defense, but I for one need to see it and not just assume that things are better because it is a new year. They looked better against the Skins, but their WR's are a joke compared to last year and their TE did not play, so we will see.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2017, 02:37:15 PM »
Last year before the season started everyone was very optimistic about the CB's, then Sheilds went down and our promising young CB's were exposed when the real bullets started flying. I still feel like we have a bunch of unproven guys and that we may see a repeat of last year.

Additionally, the OLB situation is bleak, CMIII no longer requires double teams and often speed rushes to the outside leaving gaping holes on his side, oh yeah and often injured. Perry is solid when healthy and hopefully he plays a full 16. Fackerel and Eliott have a lot to prove and I don't expect much from Beigel due to lost time and lack of explosiveness.

This combination of weak pass rush and young/unproven CB's is a recipe for disaster. I hope I am wrong and King progresses quickly as a shut down CB and the others remain healthy and we end up with a top 15 defense, but I for one need to see it and not just assume that things are better because it is a new year. They looked better against the Skins, but their WR's are a joke compared to last year and their TE did not play, so we will see.

Step back from the edge dude, and keep on walking past open windows.

You made no mention of CBs other than Shields being injured, which was a significant contributing factor to the troubles at CB last year. You also call the CBs unproven (which they are), but they have another year of experience, which is helpful to Randall, but most especially to Rollins, who only played one year of college football. They have House (when he gets back) and they have a high draft pick to help. Add that all together and the picture is brighter than you paint.

OLB is a problem this year (shame Biegel has not been a full participant in camp). I'm guessing it is addressed again next year in rounds 1-2. However "recipe for disaster" is really overstating things. Every team, I repeat, EVERY TEAM, has position groups they would like to be stronger, the days of no salary cap and consequently, teams like Eddie DeBartolo's 49ers, are a distant memory.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2017, 08:48:21 PM »
Sorry about that Danno.

I should have written:  we have two perennial all pros at safety.   thumbsup)

Like that better?

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2017, 06:53:55 AM »
Sorry about that Danno.

Like that better?

http://foxsports1340am.com/nfl-top-10-safety-duos/

6. Ha Ha Clinton Dix/Morgan Burnett, Green Bay Packers – It took a couple of seasons but the tandem of Clinton-Dix and Burnett clicked in 2016 and gave a Packers secondary that was dreadful because of their corners, a light to shine. Clinton-Dix was tied for fifth in the league in interceptions with five and earned his first Pro Bowl berth. Meanwhile, Burnett led the team in tackles and was second on the team in pass breakups. Both ranked within the top 18 of safeties overall according to Pro Football Focus. A tag team that didn’t see the overall results until this past season is now on the verge of the league’s elite.

Just say'in Gregg..............just say'in.

Online Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2017, 09:20:24 AM »
Sorry about that Danno.

Like that better?

http://foxsports1340am.com/nfl-top-10-safety-duos/

6. Ha Ha Clinton Dix/Morgan Burnett, Green Bay Packers – It took a couple of seasons but the tandem of Clinton-Dix and Burnett clicked in 2016 and gave a Packers secondary that was dreadful because of their corners, a light to shine. Clinton-Dix was tied for fifth in the league in interceptions with five and earned his first Pro Bowl berth. Meanwhile, Burnett led the team in tackles and was second on the team in pass breakups. Both ranked within the top 18 of safeties overall according to Pro Football Focus. A tag team that didn’t see the overall results until this past season is now on the verge of the league’s elite.

Just say'in Gregg..............just say'in.

thumbsup) clap)

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2017, 11:33:32 PM »
As for that last part, only you can get yourself out of that self inflicted misery of believing you are entitled to more success in the last 25 years.
When you become a fan of the New York Yankees, you expect to win some World Series. 
For good or bad, the bar is set pretty high in Green Bay.  I don't think that's a bad thing.

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2017, 02:56:22 PM »
I think our DB will be fairly good this year.  I think we have pretty good depth there.  Especially at safety.  I will go as far to say our second team safeties could start for a lot of teams.

I think House will play well, I always liked him when he was in GB.  And I think King looked good.  I expect Rollins and Randall to improve at least a little, hopefully a lot.

And I also think TT did a nice job strengthening the front seven.  If it had been me, I would have done it through the draft, in order to have them long term.  But I think TT did OK with Odom, Brooks and Dial. 

Therefore, I think our defense should be notably improved this year.  At least it is on paper.