November 20, 2017, 01:29:09 AM

Author Topic: Hurricane Harvey Charities  (Read 258 times)

Online The GM

• HOF Member
Hurricane Harvey Charities
« on: August 28, 2017, 07:31:21 PM »
Lots of scams going on associated with the Houston disaster.  If you are going to donate money please make sure your donation is going to a legit organization.  Lots of dishonest people out there running scams in this time of need for many people down there.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
Re: Hurricane Harvey Charities
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 07:15:59 AM »
Thankfully this storm has made its last landfall and will FINALLY meander NNE and get gone. The rainfall amounts - in that regional area - are staggering.

Unfortunately, another system popped off the west coast of Africa heading east.

http://www.intellicast.com/Storm/Hurricane/AtlanticSatellite.aspx

If it becomes a tropical system, hopefully the Gulf Stream and H pressure systems will block or redirect it away from the Gulf of Mexico. That water's not going anywhere anytime soon. I'm in Tampa, Florida - which given the pathways of these storms generally serves as a "safe harbor" since (most often) they dont/cant bend around to hit us directly - doesnt mean I've not had hurricanes zipping to the left, right, North and South of me - but (knock on wood) never with the water totals sitting over Texas right now. I think most of Florida would go underwater entirely. Its hard to get your head wrapped around it actually. Everything you own is wiped out.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 08:20:52 AM »
Its a mess.  My question is after you get people rescued, and in a safe place with food and shelter, what do you do with hundreds of thousands of people in the coming months. They cant go home, where do they stay??   This is going to take a long time to resolve.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 08:32:43 AM »
Its a mess.  My question is after you get people rescued, and in a safe place with food and shelter, what do you do with hundreds of thousands of people in the coming months. They cant go home, where do they stay??   This is going to take a long time to resolve.

It certainly is. In the case of Katrina, many folks left the state (many to Texas) or points afar to stay with family (and perhaps resettle there). An economic facet was also at play. The New Orleans economy had been shrinking prior to the storm - so, staying and "starting again" wasnt always an preferred option. I doubt that applies to the 4th largest city in America and the #1 petrochemical producing region.

It'll happen again though - not on this scale I imagine - but Houston is renowned for flooding. It's over built and parked right on the coast of a body of water thru which Hurricanes transit each / every year. 

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 09:59:36 AM »
Green Bay Packers‏Verified account @packers 1m1 minute ago
Join the Packers & the NFL to help those affected by Hurricane Harvey. Text HARVEY to 90999 to donate $10.
#HoustonStrong

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 11:40:41 AM »
Aaron Nagler‏Verified account @AaronNagler 1h1 hour ago:
Packers have announced a $100,000 donation to @JJWatt's Houston Flood Relief Fund.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 01:00:54 PM »
Hurricane Harvey could cost $190 billion, be worst-ever U.S. natural disaster.

"AccuWeather upgraded its estimate of the likely cost of hurricane Harvey on Thursday, saying it now expects the damage caused by the storm to come to $190 billion, or a full 1% of U.S. GDP.

That’s up from the $160 billion figure the weather service estimated on Wednesday. The new tally would be more than the combined cost of Hurricanes Katrina and Sandy, said Dr Joel Myers, founder and chairman of AccuWeather.

The impact is likely to cause the Federal Reserve to postpone its next interest rate hike, he said.

“Business leaders and the Federal Reserve, major banks, insurance companies, etc. should begin to factor in the negative impact this catastrophe will have on business, corporate earnings and employment,” Myers said in a statement. “The disaster is just beginning in certain areas.”

AccuWeather is expecting areas of Houston, the fourth biggest city in the U.S., to be uninhabitable for weeks or even months, because of water damage, mold and dirty and disease-ridden water."

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/hurricane-harvey-could-cost-190-billion-be-worst-ever-us-natural-disaster-says-accuweather-2017-08-31?siteid=bullytweet