November 19, 2017, 08:16:46 AM

Author Topic: AR Extension?  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
Re: AR Extension?
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2017, 05:45:52 PM »
Fyi, Rodgers and Munn are no longer an item.  Last I heard he was with some soccer chick.  Unconfirmed.

TruDat - wrong tense - "got" to spend serious time.....

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2017, 05:50:37 PM »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2017, 05:59:34 PM »
Whenever I see someone on a slow media day try to stir the Rodgers contract sh*tpot, I just have to roll my eyes. Nothing is going to happen for atleast another year and maybe two. But that doesn't stop them from trying to rile up the unknowing. In another attempt to get Rodgers to make a slip of the tongue today when asked about the Stafford deal, his comments should put this notion to rest.

"How it affects me? I think we're a couple of years away (from renegotiation)," Rodgers said while sitting inside his locker at Lambeau Field.

Is it really necessary to bring this up every couple of weeks in the media?

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2017, 07:03:35 PM »

Thanks.

I'll go back to not posting.

Ricky, you can take over the prediction thread.

Wow!  hysterical
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2017, 09:44:16 PM »
Please, one and all, enough. Mark wrote something that was tone deaf. He didn't defend Nazis, child molesters or Bears fans (yes, I think they're pretty much equally bad  sarcasm so I don't get a bunch of nastygrams). Stop with the bashing already. The real question is again, how much will AR make, besides a lot. And why couldn't he simply take less because he wanted to help out the team, and therefore his legacy? Brady can take less because of his wife, sure. So could David Beckham, but I've yet to hear of him taking any kind of team friendly deal. Brady is unique. Would he take less even without his rich wife? Who knows? Is Brady more like Jordy Nelson, or Peyton Manning? And which one does AR resemble more? That is where the focus should be.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2017, 11:02:42 PM »
Whenever I see someone on a slow media day try to stir the Rodgers contract sh*tpot, I just have to roll my eyes. Nothing is going to happen for atleast another year and maybe two. But that doesn't stop them from trying to rile up the unknowing. In another attempt to get Rodgers to make a slip of the tongue today when asked about the Stafford deal, his comments should put this notion to rest.

"How it affects me? I think we're a couple of years away (from renegotiation)," Rodgers said while sitting inside his locker at Lambeau Field.

Is it really necessary to bring this up every couple of weeks in the media?

Its in Rodger best interest to wait.  With Brees and other QBs coming up for contracts before Rodgers, his market could rise considerably by the time both sides are ready to talk contract.

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2017, 11:06:14 PM »

I expect a 5 year $150m contract, something like $50m guaranteed.

Too bad Aaron is gay. If he married a woman who makes more than him, like Brady did, maybe we could get s discount, like the Pats do.

Maybe he could marry a silicon valley or wall street gay billionaire?

From the guy who wanted to ban me for referring to Mason Crosby as "Mason Crossbar!"

That is just a real piece of crap comment right there Packer fans. I'm disappointed no one had the courage to call this out! 8 replies and no one said a word.  facepalm)

Whatever Rodgers gets he'll be underpaid compared to Stafford!

Someone did comment on it right away but it looks like post was deleted

Sad!
::)

Exactly the type of crap that drove me away from posting in this once great forum.

Aaron Rodgers is under contract with the Packers through 2019 (3 more years). The business side of the game always leads to wild speculation. Most predict an extension will be forthcoming before the beginning of next season... we will see meanwhile posters and readers can look forward to this pathetic nonsense. Pretty sad
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 11:17:41 PM by B »
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2017, 12:27:27 AM »
The real question is again, how much will AR make, besides a lot. And why couldn't he simply take less because he wanted to help out the team, and therefore his legacy? Brady can take less because of his wife, sure.
Wife or no wife, I can't believe Rodgers is hurting for money.  And there has to be plenty of endorsement deals to be had for a guy like Rodgers, especially if he has more postseason success.  Unfortunately, the more you give Rodgers, the less there is to spend on the supporting cast.  The question then becomes is Rodgers willing to take less to help out the team, and how smart can Thompson be at structuring that deal against the cap?

Offline mikebpackfan

• All Pro
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2017, 01:23:04 AM »
The real question is again, how much will AR make, besides a lot. And why couldn't he simply take less because he wanted to help out the team, and therefore his legacy? Brady can take less because of his wife, sure.
Wife or no wife, I can't believe Rodgers is hurting for money.  And there has to be plenty of endorsement deals to be had for a guy like Rodgers, especially if he has more postseason success.  Unfortunately, the more you give Rodgers, the less there is to spend on the supporting cast.  The question then becomes is Rodgers willing to take less to help out the team, and how smart can Thompson be at structuring that deal against the cap?

IIRC the last time some vastly less qualified QB signed a big deal and they asked Rodgers about it, he kind of bristled. He's a prideful guy and seeing guys make more then him seems to piss him off. Hope it doesn't cost us too much.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2017, 04:50:12 AM »
Some facts to put this in perspective:

Roger Goodell is paid $34 million a year.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/16/news/companies/roger-goodell-pay/index.html

The NFL took in $13 billion last year.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-nfl-made-13-billion-last-season-see-how-it-stacks-up-against-other-leagues-2016-07-01

-The "cheapest" NFL franchise (Buffalo) is valued at $1.5 billion.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2663615-cowboys-patriots-headline-forbes-list-of-most-valuable-nfl-franchises

-NFL players don't crack the top five of 25 highest paid athletes in the world. Luck is tied for #6; Brees is #11. Check out the #1 earner.

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/gallery/top-25-highest-paid-athletes-forbes-list-richest-lebron-ronaldo-messi-durant-federer-060717

-The NFL salary cap this year is $167 million. All things considered, that seems pretty paltry.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000788547/article/nfl-salary-cap-for-2017-season-set-at-167-million

And, for what 't's worth, Rodgers doesn't seem to be too worried about getting paid. Either in GB (hopefully) or somewhere else (possibly).

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/29/aaron-rodgers-not-worried-about-when-next-contract-comes/

The NFL earnings are exclusive from what individual teams make from sale of merchandise (think of the Packers Pro Shop, team stadium naming rights, "official" items of each team ("the official truck of the Green Bay Packers), stadium concessions, individual seat rentals, season ticket sales, etc., etc. There is plenty of money to go around. The question is, who should get it? Owners or players? Or, more accurately, how should the revenues be split up? We seem to be focused on how much players make. But given the amounts of money being brought in, are the salaries out of line with revenues?

"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2017, 10:20:37 AM »
I'm sure Rodgers isn't worried about getting paid.  At the end of the day, he's going to get what he wants.  I'm only interested in this as a salary cap issue.  And I'm thinking along the same lines as MikeB.  Rodgers is a competitive guy with a chip on his shoulder.  He may very well want and expect to be the highest paid player in the NFL.

If that's what he wants, he deserves it.  But how does that affect the team?

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2017, 11:01:27 AM »
I'm sure Rodgers isn't worried about getting paid.  At the end of the day, he's going to get what he wants.  I'm only interested in this as a salary cap issue.  And I'm thinking along the same lines as MikeB.  Rodgers is a competitive guy with a chip on his shoulder.  He may very well want and expect to be the highest paid player in the NFL.

Yes, of course hes going to want to be up or near the top, but you have to look at what % of the cap do you give him and still be able to compete.  At those high level percentages its going to take both sides to work this from Rodgers and the organizations view

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2017, 03:38:39 PM »

Yes, of course hes going to want to be up or near the top, but you have to look at what % of the cap do you give him and still be able to compete.  At those high level percentages its going to take both sides to work this from Rodgers and the organizations view

I found this statement by Rodgers, in the article to be very interesting regarding how much he may want to get paid.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/enterpriseRodgers/green-bay-packers-qb-aaron-rodgers-unmasked-searching

Can one of the most talented quarterbacks to ever play the game be truly great if he wins only one ring? I ask Rodgers whether that possibility scares him.

For once, he answers quickly: "No."

He adds: "I mean, it'd be disappointing. But no. I'd love to go back at least a few more times. But at some point, my career's going to be over, and I'm going to move on and do other things and be excited about that chapter in my life."

The size of his next contract MAY determine whether or not the Packers can afford to surround him with enough talent to get back to, and win, another SB during his Packer tenure.

It doesn't seem (IMO) that the thought of that bothers him.

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2017, 04:12:09 PM »
I found this statement by Rodgers, in the article to be very interesting regarding how much he may want to get paid.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/enterpriseRodgers/green-bay-packers-qb-aaron-rodgers-unmasked-searching
That's very interesting, considering there was a story a few weeks ago where he said basically the opposite.  The article was about the Packers continually going to the playoffs without winning Super Bowls.  Rodgers responded to the criticism with this quote:
"And in order for some of that stuff to go away, the outside noise, we’re going to have to win another Super Bowl. It would be disappointing if we were only able to win one in my time here."
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/aaron-rodgers-packers-need-another-title-to-shut-up-critics/ar-AApCyna

I agree with you, though.  My impression of Rodgers is that he knows his value and will be expecting an offer that will make the statement that he is the best quarterback in the league.  I don't see him as being as self sacrificing as Brady, to take less money so as to improve the team.  Time will tell, though.

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2017, 04:21:28 PM »
First off, the ESPN article is fantastic and worth reading. I am so glad I get to root for Aaron Rodgers every week. The guy has really matured into not just a great football player but a terrific, thoughtful, open-minded human being.

Second, the quote—please, do not infer that Rodgers cares more about money than winning Super Bowls. What he's saying is that he isn't going to let the "failure" to win a second SB be some kind of black mark on his greatness. To which I would agree.