November 20, 2017, 01:37:48 AM

Author Topic: Surprise cut for Vikings - Alex Boone  (Read 895 times)

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
Surprise cut for Vikings - Alex Boone
« on: September 02, 2017, 06:39:03 PM »
Vikings asked him to redo his contract, he balked and now he was cut. Vikings have some guaranteed money to eat... also will have 5 new starters on OL.

Generally I think their front office does well.. but this obviously did not work out well and Bradford trade although he has exceeded my expectations as starter (and probably necessary) was not cheap.

Offline B

• HOF Member
Re: Surprise cut for Vikings - Alex Boone
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 07:32:06 AM »
Vikings asked him to redo his contract, he balked and now he was cut. Vikings have some guaranteed money to eat... also will have 5 new starters on OL.

Generally I think their front office does well.. but this obviously did not work out well and Bradford trade although he has exceeded my expectations as starter (and probably necessary) was not cheap.

Boone signed a four-year, $26.8 million contract with the Vikings last year and was set to make $6.6 million this season. The Queens will swallow $3.4 million in Cap hit this season with his release

Despite being mouthy "the Packers will win the Super Bowl in Minneapolis over my (his) dead body"

I've got to believe he would be a significant upgrade over our current depth (if he clears waivers).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 07:38:49 AM by B »
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 08:09:19 AM »
I'm pretty chilly on the Alex Boone idea, their has been drama with that dude everywhere he go's.

Twain summed it up well in another posting, he wrote 'Hasn't Boone been a malcontent anywhere he's been?  Talented guy, but seems bad for a locker room to me.' I think I agree, hoping they pass on this one.

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 08:27:43 AM »
I hear you RT, but we are talking talented emergency depth at a time our depth is either hurt or as green as grass in Ireland.

I sure understand if TT takes a pass, butt still presents an interesting (and perhaps ironic possibility).
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 09:10:06 AM »
Can Boone play center?  The awkward aspect of the roster right now is the backup center position with the two top backups inactive due to injury.  Boone would almost have to be the 11th guy until Barclay or Patrick get back and they could make some cuts again.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 09:48:21 AM »
 twocents) here.

If TT is willing to sign Brooks, and his baggage, I guess you couldn't really rule out the possibility of Boone, just because of his mouth/attitude.

My questions are, how was his play in MN evaluated last year? Is he a declining player?

They asked him to renegotiate. Why? ............. Are they tight on cap space? Or, did he not deserve what they were paying him?

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 10:15:58 AM »
twocents) here.

If TT is willing to sign Brooks, and his baggage, I guess you couldn't really rule out the possibility of Boone, just because of his mouth/attitude.

My questions are, how was his play in MN evaluated last year? Is he a declining player?

They asked him to renegotiate. Why? ............. Are they tight on cap space? Or, did he not deserve what they were paying him?

What I have read from Viking media coverage is that he has been declining over the last few years, and he was injured in camp.  The back up came in while he was out, and it appeared he did a better job and won the position from Boone.

Boone's pass blocking was still considered good, but had been graded poorly in run blocking.

There was also some concern about his chemistry with the rest of the line, including the new center Elfien who I guess is a more cerebral guy and an ascending as a player.  So with the line playing better with younger guys, combined with his contract, they decided to dump him.

I would guess he would be a reliable backup as a pass blocker, but i question what his price will be to continue playing, especially as a backup.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 10:16:33 AM by Twain »
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 05:35:57 PM »
Boone I think was too expensive a signing for the quality he offered.

I just wonder if Minny is still going to have problems with its OL.  They certainly might.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 06:32:08 PM »
Cardinals Signing Veteran G Alex Boone.