November 22, 2017, 06:36:06 AM

Author Topic: Hurricane Irma  (Read 932 times)

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Hurricane Irma
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2017, 10:01:06 AM »
This is nothing to be cavalier about. We have friends in Port Aransas, Texas which got hit very, very hard by Harvey. The place is effectively leveled and flooded. We've been helping as much as possible. What do they need? Chain saws, because very few trees are still standing. Mosquito repellent. Large thick ply trash bags. Baby wipes and other disinfectants. Cleaning supplies. Tarps to cover leaking roofs. Money.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2017, 08:31:29 PM »
We got out of there yesterday.  Usually it takes about 8 hours to go from our house in N. Fort Myers to Perry, GA but the traffic congestion was so bad on I-75 it took us 12 freaking hours!  I suspect there will be a call for evacuations tomorrow.  I have no clue how anybody is gonna get out of there because of the traffic is already crawling and if they do get north they may not be able to find a hotel room.  I heard there are no vacancies north of Tampa and our hotel up here is full.  Fellas, pray I have a home to return to after this weekend.    :'(

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2017, 11:02:23 PM »
We got out of there yesterday.  Usually it takes about 8 hours to go from our house in N. Fort Myers to Perry, GA but the traffic congestion was so bad on I-75 it took us 12 freaking hours!  I suspect there will be a call for evacuations tomorrow.  I have no clue how anybody is gonna get out of there because of the traffic is already crawling and if they do get north they may not be able to find a hotel room.  I heard there are no vacancies north of Tampa and our hotel up here is full.  Fellas, pray I have a home to return to after this weekend.    :'(

As it has since the get go, it all depends when this thing takes that right hand turn. The sooner the better *for everybody*

News yesterday had the tracks off the East Coast - not far off, but off it - putting the strongest winds out to sea and probably sparing some of Miami. Messing it up pretty good I'd imagine, but sparing some of it. Tracks now are a bit to the West - with landfall around Key Largo (or a bit West of it) putting Miami, and the entire East Coast in the buzz saw. It's a big damn storm. It better turn. Sooner rather than later.

Dont recall a storm thats endangered as many friends as this one is. I've friends who decided to hunker down and ride it out - one in Coral Springs - the other in Lake Worth. I'm not sure why they decided to do that actually. Perhaps they'll change their minds tomorrow, but as mentioned, the roads are blocked up and gas is in short supply. I worry about them.

This things gotta turn. The sooner the better.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2017, 10:14:40 AM »
This things gotta turn. The sooner the better.

Well, so much for that dramatic right turn. Looks more like a slight bend bordering on a straight line. I've commented before how difficult Tropical Storms / Hurricanes find it to get to Tampa. Well, this one appears to be giving that a try.

Offline Toddfather

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2017, 09:47:40 AM »
Hope you're safe Pugger. I'm in the Tampa Bay area, but as an RN I have to stay because I am the relief team when they lift the code green at my hospital. We even had to take in 100 patients from another hospital yesterday. It's been crazy.

I was just in Ashville for a little vacation, and we had to drive back Friday. It was pretty eerie driving south down the interstate when everyone was bumper to bumper going north. Outside of some other personal vehicles, we were riding next to electric trucks, tree trimming trucks, and some military vehicles.

Scary situation, but I think our state has been on it. I just hope everyone is safe. I got most of my family out of the state. Wish us luck!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 09:48:32 AM by Toddfather »

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2017, 09:57:09 AM »
Hope you're safe Pugger. I'm in the Tampa Bay area, but as an RN I have to stay because I am the relief team when they lift the code green at my hospital. We even had to take in 100 patients from another hospital yesterday. It's been crazy.

I was just in Ashville for a little vacation, and we had to drive back Friday. It was pretty eerie driving south down the interstate when everyone was bumper to bumper going north. Outside of some other personal vehicles, we were riding next to electric trucks, tree trimming trucks, and some military vehicles.

Scary situation, but I think our state has been on it. I just hope everyone is safe. I got most of my family out of the state. Wish us luck!

Stay safe Toddfather! I appreciate what you do and are going to do for so many who are going to need as many folks like you as possible.

Pugger, best of luck. I wish you had evacuated!
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2017, 10:39:10 AM »

Stay safe Toddfather! I appreciate what you do and are going to do for so many who are going to need as many folks like you as possible.

I'll second that golf.

Naples, Fort Meyers (my brother/sister in law have a place in Port Charles), Tampa....................they are all in the cross-hairs of this "thing".

I pray for those who didn't get out, or like Toddfather, had to stay for reason's beyond their control.

People like Toddfather and the first responders will be the unsung heros in the face of this kind of disaster.

Hunker down, and Soldier on, my friends!

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2017, 12:25:34 PM »

Pugger's in Georgia now. Her home is in Fort Meyers.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2017, 03:34:08 PM »
Actually hubby and I are in Green Bay because the storm was headed our way in GA.  Our house was spared so we feel very blessed.  We are waiting for power to be restored down there so it might be a while.  We listened to the game so it was fun we won!!  Thx everyone for your good wishes.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2017, 05:40:14 PM »
Actually hubby and I are in Green Bay because the storm was headed our way in GA.  Our house was spared so we feel very blessed.  We are waiting for power to be restored down there so it might be a while.  We listened to the game so it was fun we won!!  Thx everyone for your good wishes.

I am very happy that your house was spared.  I hope it isn't too long before you can get back in your home and get back to a normal life.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline Toddfather

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2017, 08:46:05 AM »
Hey all. Nice and safe here. Still no power, but it could've been a lot worse. Nothing wrong with a cold shower here and there  thumbsup). Hope everyone else is doing well.