September 25, 2017, 07:10:18 PM

Author Topic: TJ Watt  (Read 1149 times)

Online mikebpackfan

• All Pro
Re: TJ Watt
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2017, 03:59:22 PM »
Definitely needed another thread for this.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2017, 04:19:18 PM »
Too early - give it time to play out.

Thank you. Last year it was Carson Wentz who was taking the leauge by storm. Then reality set in, and he came down to earth with a resounding thud. If his name wasn't Watt, no one would pay attention.

He was one of 3 rookies in NFL HISTORY to have a  game like that in his first start.  The idea that he's getting this attention just because of his last name is nothing short of ridiculous.
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2017, 04:35:36 PM »

But so what?  If you are trying to say that Ted should have drafted him, then I have to disagree.  As you can see from yesterday, our pass rush is fine.  All the hand wringing by the media failed to identify that to fix this defense we needed production from the other positions, which we got.  Pass rush is more than OLB- and Mike Daniels showed that.

We needed to develop a secondary that could force a QB to look beyond the first read and hold the ball.  Yesterday we had that.  We will see if it is that way in Atlanta, but at first approximation it has improved greatly.

I am happy for Cheeseheads that do well, and so I am happy for TJ.  But that doesn't make the Packers off season moves wrong. 

Couldn't one make the same exact argument about our secondary (that it was fine prior to the draft)?  It's not like Kevin King or Josh Jones had any sort of impact yesterday.  King played just 6 snaps and Josh Jones is so buried on the depth chart that it doesn't look like he'll ever see the field (he had zero defensive snaps). 

It's far too early to say our pass rush is adequate or that Kevin King and Josh Jones are the reason for our development in our secondary.  Thankfully, we played against one of the 2 or 3 worst offensive lines in the NFL which greatly helped our secondary.  We'll see next week if they get that same sort of pressure against Atlanta. 

Not sure one can compare King and Watt.  King is buried on the depth chart of a not overly athletic group of CBs.  He's been really underwhelming thus far in his young NFL career.  Watt has done nothing but impressed.  Beating out Harrison in camp, impressing in the preseason and having a historic start to his season. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 04:46:29 PM by SSG »

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2017, 05:03:37 PM »
Here's the video of who we could have picked. I'm not saying King wont develop into a good corner. And we do have two vets on the outside who can play (when healthy) but check out the video of TJ Watt in his first game:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000843177/article/tj-watt-shines-with-twosack-oneint-steelers-debut

One game into the season and you are 'sick'. I think you have a serious case of Watt worship that began before the draft. The cure is both easy and difficult.

Easy, because it makes no difference what you think (except to you). King is the guy we have, not Watt, so the comparison only serves as your vehicle for complaint about TT. Let go of your Watt/King comparison fetish, and save yourself a barrel of bilious anger and a lot of money spent on antacid.

Difficult, because your obsession is deep. One week into the season, is absurdly early for this, can you not see that ?
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline jameslofton

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2017, 06:06:09 PM »
Here's the video of who we could have picked. I'm not saying King wont develop into a good corner. And we do have two vets on the outside who can play (when healthy) but check out the video of TJ Watt in his first game:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000843177/article/tj-watt-shines-with-twosack-oneint-steelers-debut

One game into the season and you are 'sick'. I think you have a serious case of Watt worship that began before the draft. The cure is both easy and difficult.

Easy, because it makes no difference what you think (except to you). King is the guy we have, not Watt, so the comparison only serves as your vehicle for complaint about TT. Let go of your Watt/King comparison fetish, and save yourself a barrel of bilious anger and a lot of money spent on antacid.

Difficult, because your obsession is deep. One week into the season, is absurdly early for this, can you not see that ?

Was I super hoping we would pick Watt? Yes! Do I hope King becomes a great player? Of course!! And, as a side note, I think TT does a great job, so it's not a knock on him or the organization making a different decision that the one I hoped for. But if you think that there aren't going to be Watt Vs. King debates, at least for a couple of seasons, I think that is unreasonable. We're on this forum to debate the team, and the draft. Maybe "sick" was too strong a word. I meant it more hypothetical. And of course one week does not a career make -- duh. So don't worry, it doesn't detract from my enjoyment of loving the team. In actuality it only enhances it.

Online Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2017, 07:12:10 PM »

Couldn't one make the same exact argument about our secondary (that it was fine prior to the draft)?  It's not like Kevin King or Josh Jones had any sort of impact yesterday.  King played just 6 snaps and Josh Jones is so buried on the depth chart that it doesn't look like he'll ever see the field (he had zero defensive snaps). 

It's far too early to say our pass rush is adequate or that Kevin King and Josh Jones are the reason for our development in our secondary.  Thankfully, we played against one of the 2 or 3 worst offensive lines in the NFL which greatly helped our secondary.  We'll see next week if they get that same sort of pressure against Atlanta. 

Not sure one can compare King and Watt.  King is buried on the depth chart of a not overly athletic group of CBs.  He's been really underwhelming thus far in his young NFL career.  Watt has done nothing but impressed.  Beating out Harrison in camp, impressing in the preseason and having a historic start to his season.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would have made the argument that the secondary was fine before the draft, based on how last year played out.  Maybe you felt it was?  I guess we disagree on that. 

I think the importance of the King pick will become more apparent as the season plays out.  I said during the summer that King likely wouldn't start week one, so no surprises there.

TJ Watt is a good player an I am happy that he is doing well, but I am happy with the trade back for King.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 07:27:16 PM by Twain »
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Online iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2017, 07:26:28 PM »
We needed a top corner and this was a good draft for them.  Would have been great to have them both though.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2017, 08:03:00 PM »

I don't think anyone in their right mind would have made the argument that the secondary was fine before the draft, based on how last year played out.  Maybe you felt it was?  I guess we disagree on that. 

I think the importance of the King pick will become more apparent as the season plays out.  I said during the summer that King likely wouldn't start week one, so no surprises there.

TJ Watt is a good player an I am happy that he is doing well, but I am happy with the trade back for King.

Just like no one in their right mind would have said our pass rush was good enough before the draft.  Our pass rush was incredibly bad in our last 2 games last year, every bit as bad as our CBs. 

I never said our CBs were good enough, I said if you are going to judge the position groups on JUST last night one could make the argument that our first 2 picks weren't at all needed.  Both are buried on the depth chart and don't look like they'll be helping the defense anytime soon.  Jones may not see the field at all this year as we've got 4 Safeties who are substantially better right now. 

Its far too early to say we made the right decision.  You certainly can't look at JUST last night and say our pass rush was good enough before the draft so it was the right move to pass on Watt for King.  Had we not needed pass rush we wouldn't have signed Brooks to a sizable one year deal. 

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2017, 09:13:39 PM »
Too early to have those feelings.  While King looks to be a non factor who's likely to spend the majority of the year planted on the bench, he's got some upside. 

Would I rather had Watt or Dalvin Cook right now?  Yeah, but its still early in their careers. 

Cook looked scary tonight.  He looked like an elite, explosive 3 down back.  Looks like Minnesota is going to go from one monster int he backfield to another.

Watt looked a lot like CM3 in his rookie year.  Explosive, relentless and a motor that doesn't stop.  He also showed some pretty great athleticism with the INT.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 09:15:27 PM by SSG »

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2017, 09:35:46 PM »
You clearly stated the reason for posting this thread was because you knew someone would reply that watts success was due to extenuating circumstances. That's called taking the bait of your post. Are you walking that back now?

I said that after I posted it I realized that would happen.

If you look back, in my first post I underplayed what a good game he had and others jumped on to add in more he had done.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2017, 11:10:06 PM »
Watt had issues with both knees at Wisconsin.  He might develop but for how long?  Worth the risk?  Now? Yes, check back in 3 years.

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2017, 12:54:19 AM »
Wanted Watt as well.  He fell right into our lap.  But can't make any judgments yet.  Also remember have to compare Watt to King/Biegel.  We got two players in that trade.  Other guys are right can't judge for at least 3 years.  King has some unique abilities and could develop into one hell of a corner.  Have no idea what Biegel will bring. 

Online Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2017, 08:04:10 AM »
I knew someone would say that. Which is why I posted it.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2017, 09:03:18 AM »
Combining the multiple TJ Watt threads. There's no need to start a separate thread as it scatters discussions.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:05:47 AM by Leader »

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2017, 12:31:23 PM »
I knew someone would say that. Which is why I posted it.

Nice way to leave out the sequence.  Which is noted with this:

"So I noted it.  But I knew after I posted it that some people would jump on and say what the did.

They are being the trolls, not me."

And I am the one who also started three other threads in this section. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 12:37:14 PM by Gregg »