September 24, 2017, 11:33:22 PM

Author Topic: Postgame Coaches Corner :: Seattle @ Green Bay  (Read 3370 times)

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
Postgame Coaches Corner :: Seattle @ Green Bay
« on: September 10, 2017, 04:54:24 PM »
Not sure how much longer I'll have power, so starting this now so it can be opened after the game.

Online golfman

• HOF Member
Re: Postgame Coaches Corner :: Seattle @ Green Bay
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 06:44:04 PM »
Great team effort if was almost all good from all three phases of the game. I'm only 'mild' complaint were the time outs before halftime. Not that the defense wasn't playing well enough to take them, but even had we stopped them the clock would have run out. When it was went to 3rd down and :43 seconds remaining you can't possibly get the ball back.

If we pack this defense every week hand over the Lombardi. Plain and simple because our offense is going to be lights out.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 06:48:55 PM »
Good

Aaron Rodgers -- not a perfect game but this guy is just so good
Jordy and Cobb -- they showed up
Ty -- looked the part at RB against a tough as nails D
Murphy -- struggled at times, but give him his due, that was a solid performance
Daniels -- unstoppable, best player on the field
Perry, Matthews -- gave us the outside rush we needed
Clark -- this kid is turning into something special

Bad

J. Evans -- couple of holding calls, you can tell he's never had to protect a mobile QB like Rodgers

Ugly

MM timeouts at the end of 1st half -- just brainless

Online golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 06:51:02 PM »
Good

Aaron Rodgers -- not a perfect game but this guy is just so good
Jordy and Cobb -- they showed up
Ty -- looked the part at RB against a tough as nails D
Murphy -- struggled at times, but give him his due, that was a solid performance
Daniels -- unstoppable, best player on the field
Perry, Matthews -- gave us the outside rush we needed
Clark -- this kid is turning into something special

Bad

J. Evans -- couple of holding calls, you can tell he's never had to protect a mobile QB like Rodgers

Ugly

MM timeouts at the end of 1st half -- just brainless

I agree with all of this and glad you gave Murphy a shout out. That kid battled his guts out. He gave up some, but he competed his butt off and that is all you can ask from the kid. He didn't make any mental mistakes that I saw. He was beaten physically a few times and that is going to happen.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 06:53:09 PM »
Biggest problem for me was not really a problem at all, but Seattle's. They had a boatload of injuries through the game, and my thought was that in the past it would probably have been the Packers that got so beaten up.

There were Packer guys dinged up, I'd be amazed it they weren't, since the Hawks are a fairly brutal team to play, but at this time it all looks fairly good.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 07:00:58 PM »
Good:
 - Win vs team that will most likely make playoffs and we hold 1st tiebreaker now
 - Jordy looks like always and should have big year
 - Cobb was clutch with a lot of catches
 - Defensive front 7 (Daniels, Perry especially) dominated Seattle OL, a lot of pressure up front
 - Vogel did decent... but when they needed the biggest punt backed up he unleashed a 57 yarder
 - Defense limiting Seahawks to FG and not TDs
 - Rush defense held Seattle to less than 100 yards.. 40 of which were Wilson on scrambles
 - Packers able to run out the clock to end the game
 - TOP Packers nearly 40 minutes and doubled up Seahawks

Bad:
 - Pass protection in 1st half especially... was improved in 2nd half a bit. But this may be the best front 7 we see all year
 - Run came got us 3 yards per carry... but again, probably best front 7 see all year
 - Cobb and Bennett 15 yard penalties
 - Rodgers holding the ball too long
 - Brooks injury... hopefully can come back next week

Ugly
 - Nothing
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 07:01:57 PM by Hincha »

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 07:01:32 PM »
Offensive line needs to play better, but considering this was probably the best defensive front seven we will see this year by far, they should be much better going forward. 

That was an extremely talented defense, so to hang in there, wear them down, and get production in the second half was outstanding.

Rodgers is going to be pretty sore tomorrow. 
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 07:04:56 PM »
I agree with all of this and glad you gave Murphy a shout out.

Considering the competition and it being his first start, he did pretty good... he allowed some sacks/pressures, but was not a turnstyle. This game could really help his confidence going forward.

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 07:15:47 PM »
Defense -great game!
Offense - underwhelming!

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 07:18:42 PM »
GOOD

-That Packer Defense was SALTY today!!!
-Mike Daniels is Badd-A$$!
-Ty Montgomery running through tackles and over Earl Thomas on that flat pass! He hammered out 54 yards and a touchdown against a Very Stingy defense.
-Special teams seemed solid...after the opening kick-off.
-Aaron Rodgers gutting out that last drive and leading the team.
-Rodgers burning the sea slime defense for a touchdown to Old Reliable, Jordy Nelson, who had beaten Earl Thomas (and KJ Wright) on the play.
-A Hard-earned win over a Good Football Team!

Bad/Ugly

-Bewildering timeouts by McCarthy at the end of the first half, including one when seattle had the ball!
-Far too many camera shots of peetsy “the slimeball” carroll!

Undecided

Another episode of “Aaron flirts with Erin” during the postgame interview. There appears to be some chemistry...( - ; #

Online golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 07:21:13 PM »
GOOD

-That Packer Defense was SALTY today!!!
-Mike Daniels is Badd-A$$!
-Ty Montgomery running through tackles and over Earl Thomas on that flat pass! He hammered out 54 yards and a touchdown against a Very Stingy defense.
-Special teams seemed solid...after the opening kick-off.
-Aaron Rodgers gutting out that last drive and leading the team.
-Rodgers burning the sea slime defense for a touchdown to Old Reliable, Jordy Nelson, who had beaten Earl Thomas (and KJ Wright) on the play.
-A Hard-earned win over a Good Football Team!

Bad/Ugly

-Bewildering timeouts by McCarthy at the end of the first half, including one when seattle had the ball!
-Far too many camera shots of peetsy “the slimeball” carroll!

Undecided

Another episode of “Aaron flirts with Erin” during the postgame interview. There appears to be some chemistry...( - ; #[/b]

I think they were an item for a while back several years ago. BTW, Rodgers when asked if it was 'getting a little chippy out three?" His response, "it always does with that team!" Translation, Seahags are dirty!

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 07:36:29 PM »
Headline on NFL.com at the moment is 'Hawks rockin' in Green Bay.

Reckon they were spending too much time listening to the Aikman/Buck Seattle lovefest, and not enough time actually looking at the field.

Nice to have the game started sometime other than 7-8pm central time. It meant I could stay up for it all, and comment all over the place afterwards. It's 01.40 GMT in England now, bedtime for me.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 07:43:01 PM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline MrJuly4th

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2017, 07:45:38 PM »
The Good:
Rodgers:  both throwing and running for first downs.
Crosby:  2/2 on PATS and 1/1 on FGs.
Offensive Line:  Faced a tough defense, leaked but didn't break.
The Entire Defense
Q. Rollins:  lead the team in tackles and pass defended (I think two passes)
Daniels:   a beast!
Nick Perry:  They were double teaming him after their first series on offense.
The Defensive Line:  Held Seattle to 90 yards rushing, most of them were Wilson Scrambles
MM:  Play calling going for the Jugular on 2nd down, Rodgers to Bennet
Daniels strip and Frackrell's fumble recovery
Rodgers catching 12 men on the field and getting Seahawks to jump off side
Watching Pete Carrol face when he complains (I find it humorous)

The Average:  Ty Montgomery as a running back.  Sorry, he was just average today.  I still think this team needs a real running back.

The Bad:

Davis's fair catch on the 4 yard line
Bennet's Personal Foul
Cobb's Taunting Penalty
McCarthy calling times out before the half

The Ugly:   
Nothing.  We won. Nothing ugly about that.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 07:54:41 PM by MrJuly4th »

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2017, 07:51:52 PM »
I thought it was an ugly game to watch on both sides.  But especially Seattle's.

And it began for them with that interception when two of their players did utterly stupid things.   Costing them a TD and an expulsion.

Then Wilson with that fumble deep in our territory.  I have never liked Wilson as a QB.  For more than one reason.  Seattle had a choice when they signed him: try to keep the best defense in football together, or spend tens of millions on a guy who cannot see over the line and cannot find passing lanes without running around. (Which is the difference between him and Brees)

The main difference I thought was that AR outplayed Wilson by a notable margin.

The pluses for us were that our secondary played well, and Daniels had an good game on defense, as did Perry.

On offense, our OL played passably, and our running game was OK.

It was an ugly win but I'll take it and  hope we get better.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 09:21:42 PM by Gregg »

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2017, 08:06:09 PM »
September football is always an extension of the exhibition season. Guys are still getting into shape, and are not used to going all out for an entire game. The offenses are still somewhat out of sync, not having played against real defenses since last season.  Getting a win this early, at home, with the defense putting a lot of pressure on the QB, effectively shutting down the running game. And the OL did give Rodgers a good amount of time to throw the ball. The problem was the WR's weren't getting open, which was discussed on the game day thread. Not a stellar offensive performance, but good enough to win, especially against a very tough defense. An ugly win is still a win.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid