September 26, 2017, 07:59:38 AM

Author Topic: Postgame Coaches Corner :: Seattle @ Green Bay  (Read 3386 times)

Offline pacman5252

• Starter
Re: Postgame Coaches Corner :: Seattle @ Green Bay
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2017, 08:13:55 PM »
The Good-
-The defense in general- the pass rush was good. Run D was good. They did a good job on containing RW too on scrambles.
-The wide outs were good in general. Cobb is healthy and back.
-I like how we were able to run the clock final drive (6 minutes offense)
-No long term injuries

The bad-
-The O line got kind of worked. You could tell Rodgers wasn't comfortable all game. Hopefully Bulaga being back will help next week and just not facing Seattle.
-The pick from Rodgers was bad. Dodged a bullet there. (in a tangent, I think fox kind of dramatized the Grahm play. They could have called PI, but Grahm pushed off to get space in the first place and refs in general never call a getting sacked desperation heave into double coverage jump ball)

The ugly-
-The timeout usage at half. I mean I get the strategy and was okay with the first timeout, but the second (our final) timeout was stupid. You know Seattle wants to get to half. With 46 seconds lefts, even if you get 2 stops, at least 6 seconds run off the game clock due to plays and you don't force a punt. At that point, just take halftime
-Our punt return team got worked. Starting inside the 20 every drive (often inside the 10) took away points. No blocking even though they had long returnable kicks. Fair catching a ball at the five. Really bad.

Offline cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2017, 08:21:52 PM »
Most of you hit a lot of mine.

Good: I thought Monty looked really good.  Vision, great in pass pro, patience, burst, and finished his runs with power.  He's as close a back to Leveon Bell as there is in this league.  Too bad we don't have an OL capable of blocking for him. 

Bad: 1st half offense.  Iso routes and no help for 68 spelled disaster.  MM adjusted at half with more bunch formations, RPO's, crossing routes and help on the edges.  Why it took 4 coverage sacks and zero points at half is beyond me. 

« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 08:23:12 PM by cheech »
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2017, 08:30:41 PM »
I am not one who generally notices what so many think are bais against the Packers by Buck and Aikman. Today, it was so brutally obvious it was sickening. Seriously, they should not do Packer games ever.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2017, 08:35:41 PM »
I am not one who generally notices what so many think are bais against the Packers by Buck and Aikman. Today, it was so brutally obvious it was sickening. Seriously, they should not do Packer games ever.

It was awful.  They picked the narrative and went with it.  I wish I could listed to Wayne while watching the game.
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2017, 09:32:16 PM »
UGLY: Just watched Mike McCarthy's post game press conference. Question about the time outs prior to the half. His response, "absolutely the right call to make to take those time outs!" Huh? Is he not able to do math? There was NO chance to get the ball back unless Seattle threw an incomplete pass.

TRANSLATION: He will be doing this again, and again! Definition of insantiy folks.

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2017, 09:34:27 PM »

Especially the non PI call on whoever was covering Graham in the endzone. It looked to me like contact on both sides with Graham pulling the defenders head into his chest.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2017, 09:41:52 PM »
Cheech:

With all due respect, Montgomery averaged less than three yards per carry today.  In fact, if it was not for AR, our whole team would have averaged less than three yards per carry.

Looking back at that game, if it was Pete Carroll, I would push now to draft one of the five excellent QB prospects who will go in the first round next year.  I would even trade up if need be.  IMO, they are wasting Graham.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 10:44:59 PM by Gregg »

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2017, 09:44:26 PM »
Cheech:

With all due respect, Montgomery averaged less than two yards per carry today.  In fact, if it was not for AR, our whole team would have averaged less than three yards per carry.

Looking back at that game, if it was Pete Carroll, I would push now to draft one of the five excellent QB prospects who will go in the first round next year.  I would even trade up if need be.  IMO, they are wasting Graham.

He actually averaged 2.8 today. Nothing to write home about, but there was no place to run. I think he'll get better and better as the year goes on.

As for Seattle investing a 1st rounder in a QB, possible, but they have so much money invested in Wilson highly unlikely.

Offline walker16

• All Pro
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2017, 09:47:35 PM »
Mostly listened to the radio, and watched 4th qtr.

Looked and sounded like 1st game of season.
Defenses more dominate, offenses on the learning curve.

Physical game & big win.
Only concern is the O line & AR. Cant take those hits for to many games.

Daniels on D, and Cobb brought his lunch pail. Jordy was Jordy.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2017, 10:32:31 PM »
Super win.  Seattle as a great defense, so to grind out a win was fun.  Defense was stellar, both the run defense and the secondary. 

Will be lots harder against better offenses (like next week).  But very fun to see the defense controlling as well as they did. 

Saw only parts of the first half, all of second, so impressions are skewed accordingly.  But though:
1.  Montgomery looked very good 2nd half.  There was no space whatsoever, but he ground out a lot of difficult 3-yard runs.
2.  Run-blocking could be kinda poor, but we've never had a good run-blocking line. 
3.  2nd-half Murphy looked decent.  Don't think he was helped much, and to me there seemed a lot of plays where Rodgers had room to roll towards Murphy's side.  Think for a backup, he might be fine.
4.  Rodgers is something else.  Running for first downs, the 12-man-on-field TD. 
5.  Given that offense doesn't play hardly at all in exhibition, I assume there will be lots of refinements.
6.  Jon Ryan is a great punter. 
7.  Don't want to face that Seattle team in Seattle in playoffs.  Glad to get a win and a tiebreaker. 
8.  Haven't seen injury summary; seemed like some guys dinged, but I didn't see any season-ending injuries (for Packers) during the second half.  HOpefully Rodgers and Montgomery will be OK. 

Really significant win.  Packers have often gotten into playoffs by killing the division.  To beat a serious contender like Seattle is really nice. 

Really sweat win. 

Offline SDProfessor

• Starter
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2017, 10:52:17 PM »
Great win. My thoughts...

-Defense was stout in almost every way. They got great pressure on Wilson without blitzing because of two things: 1) this defensive line is much improved, as most of us suspected. 2) Seattle has perhaps the worst OL in the league. I'm happy about the performance, but next week will be a better test.

-Martellus Bennett earned his paycheck. Key runblocks (especially on the Monty TD run), a couple big time catches, and, hell, I'll say it --- I loved when he went after Wagner (was it Wagner?) when #12 ran for that first down. If it cost them the first down, I'd feel different. But it didn't and to me just exemplified the toughness on this team. Defense set the tone. Everyone seemed to step up. This team certainly isn't "soft" this year.

-This OL needs to improve. Bakhtiari had a phenomenal game. Frankly, he was the only one IMO. Linsley didn't inspire much confidence. But overall they did just enough to win a man down. Some people are happy with the way Murphy played. I think it was the best you could expect from him in that position. But we won't win if the line collapses like it did today. Didn't have success in the run game either. Good news: this is likely the best front-7 they'll face. But they play a lot of good defenses this year.

-Justin Vogel is gold.

-The improved DL play really let the ILB shine. Some really stout play on the second level and lots of guys flying to the football to finish tackles.

-What more can you say about Rodgers? He's just amazing.

-Kentrell Brice made a play or two at the LOS that were underrated but game-altering plays.

-ST coverage needs a little work. Over-pursued a couple of times.

-Mike Daniels had one of the best games in his career.

-Was good to see Cobb involved in this offense again.

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2017, 10:54:49 PM »
That was essentially a playoff game today, and next week is another.  To keep the tie-breaker over Seattle, we need to stay at least even with their record (unless they lose their division, of course). 

Bennett's personal foul was stupid, and could have cost us the game, but I almost kind of liked it.  He was protecting his new QB.  And Aaron threw him the ball not much later for the dagger.  I don't think he realized Rodgers didn't slide - unless he thought it was a late hit?

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2017, 10:58:44 PM »
That was essentially a playoff game today, and next week is another.  To keep the tie-breaker over Seattle, we need to stay at least even with their record (unless they lose their division, of course). 

Bennett's personal foul was stupid, and could have cost us the game, but I almost kind of liked it.  He was protecting his new QB.  And Aaron threw him the ball not much later for the dagger.  I don't think he realized Rodgers didn't slide - unless he thought it was a late hit?

I give Martellus the benefit of the doubt and assume he knew the play was over, first down secured. Personally, I loved it.

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2017, 11:04:47 PM »
A couple more Good

A tip of my Packer Cap to Earl Thomas. The man is a football player! First game back from a devastating broken leg, and he has 11 tackles, 7 of which were unassisted! I respect him because his mouth isn’t running like some of the other seattle defenders, and I haven’t seen many cheap hits from him either. He just shows up and plays football. He truly is the heart and soul of that defense, and an outstanding player to boot.

And speaking of my Packer Cap, I just got back from doing a little shopping in a couple busy stores, and decided to wear my old-school Green and Gold  “G Cap” to troll some sea slime fans. Since I live a couple hundred miles south of seattle, and they are clearly the NFL team of choice, the stores are generally crawling with “fans” on game days. Funny thing is, I didn’t see a single person wearing their seahawk colors tonight.....( - : #

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2017, 11:05:03 PM »
I don't like boneheaded plays. However respect he was protecting his quarterback, and I'm sure he earned some respect from Aaron.

with TJ gone, somebody had to take over the role of the enforcer.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 11:06:08 PM by B »
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi