September 24, 2017, 07:00:03 AM

Author Topic: Postgame Coaches Corner :: Seattle @ Green Bay  (Read 3357 times)

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
Re: Postgame Coaches Corner :: Seattle @ Green Bay
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2017, 11:43:05 PM »
I don't like boneheaded plays. However respect he was protecting his quarterback, and I'm sure he earned some respect from Aaron.

with TJ gone, somebody had to take over the role of the enforcer.
Like I said, it was a bonehead play, but I kind of liked it.
I just hope he never does it again.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2017, 06:05:26 AM »
I don't like boneheaded plays. However respect he was protecting his quarterback, and I'm sure he earned some respect from Aaron.

with TJ gone, somebody had to take over the role of the enforcer.

Some people might think by T.J. you mean Watt...............wrong !  crazy)

Personally, I love boneheaded plays  sarcasm - made by the other team.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 06:10:46 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline AZPackfan

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2017, 06:36:48 AM »
Can't say enough about the defense which was great. Was hearing on the radio how Wilson was going to shread that suspect D. Just hope this continues, they'll need it.
"Wherever you go, you represent the team. You will talk like, you will look like and you will act like the most dignified professional in your hometown" - Vince Lombardi to his players.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2017, 07:18:48 AM »

Looking back at that game, if it was Pete Carroll, I would push now to draft one of the five excellent QB prospects who will go in the first round next year.  I would even trade up if need be.  IMO, they are wasting Graham.

If I were Pete, I would start with a Left tackle, followed by a right tackle, and a guard.  And then get a free agent OL or two.  Wilson can win in this game, but not with an offensive line that is that offensive to watch.

If Wilson with his scrambling ability can't survive, no one can.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 07:19:51 AM by Twain »
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline maxman44

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2017, 07:37:02 AM »
How many times has MM talked about self-scouting?

He needs to literally self-scout himself in regards to end of 1st half timeouts...he might just find out how few times those work to his team's benefit...  thumbsdwn)

Defense was excellent... thumbsup)

I'd hate to have to block Mike Daniels all day

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2017, 07:43:32 AM »
I really liked the pass to Bennett late in the 4th that sealed the game.  I was expecting the conventional:  run it up the middle three times into a run-expectant, waiting defense, and then punt.  At which point Seattle would still get the ball with a shot to do what they did in the first half, only maybe get the TD, and 2-pt and tie. 

So I thought going for the first down made great sense.  I believe on those plays that Aaron's responsibility is to scramble and slide and take a sack if a pretty high-percentage, open completion isn't available.  Obviously a receiver can drop even a good pass, and Aaron can throw a bad one, or in the heat of the moment Aaron might not analyze well what's a "safe" completion versus a risky one. 

But in years past, the norm with 4th quarter lead is to just run, run off some time in so doing, then punt, and entrust the game to the defense.  Loved trying to get the first down and take the suspense away.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2017, 08:57:54 AM »
Yesterday was a great win for the Packers, very good building block moving forward. Their was good and some not so good, but nothing that should be making anyone concerned going on to next weeks game with the Falcons.

The defensive front 7 showed well against a Seahawk OL that is not a team strength of theirs, GB needed to dominate in those one-on-ones and they did. Not every week will they have that big of edge, but they still should hold their own week in and week out, barring injuries.

The offense was far from smooth, but that probably is a product of facing an elite defense and the 1st team offense not having much game action together. Not concerned at all, they will be running smoothly soon.

Jahri Evans seemed like the weakest link on the line, maybe he just needs to knock some of the rust off and will be fine in the coming weeks. But when Baluga returns and if Evans continues to struggle, I could see Murphy being moved into the starting lineup at RG. Hopefully Evans improves with more reps together with the OL unit, but it is nice to have a guy in the wings for the just in case.

For the fans that were curled up in the fetal position and waving a white flag over Murphy having to start yesterday, I hope you were able to survive the day.

The one guy on defense that I thought that didn't look great was House. It is probably understandable with the amount of time he missed in preseason. Hoping it is another case of someone that just needs to work some of the rust off, but he was caught flat-footed several times and missed a number of tackles.

Overall a great first week, onto Atlanta.   

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2017, 09:37:00 AM »
I wouldn't make too much of Jahri Evans play yesterday.  He doesn't have a lot of reps in with Murphy, so their adjustments to what the defense was doing weren't real smooth.  Wait to see what happens when a healthy Bulaga is back to make the judgement.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2017, 09:53:28 AM »
I really liked the pass to Bennett late in the 4th that sealed the game.  I was expecting the conventional:  run it up the middle three times into a run-expectant, waiting defense, and then punt.  At which point Seattle would still get the ball with a shot to do what they did in the first half, only maybe get the TD, and 2-pt and tie.
The defense was playing well enough that I didn't think they would be likely to give up both the TD and the two point conversion.  But if they got the ball back, the Packers would be in the prevent, and Seattle would have likely run it right down there.  And that would have at least resulted in some tense moments that I was glad we didn't have to go through.

As for McCarthy, he seems to be in a bit of denial on the timeout issue.  Maybe he's leaning on Rodgers reputation as the king of the hail mary when he calls those timeouts.

Offline cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2017, 10:07:29 AM »
Yesterday was a great win for the Packers, very good building block moving forward. Their was good and some not so good, but nothing that should be making anyone concerned going on to next weeks game with the Falcons.

The defensive front 7 showed well against a Seahawk OL that is not a team strength of theirs, GB needed to dominate in those one-on-ones and they did. Not every week will they have that big of edge, but they still should hold their own week in and week out, barring injuries.

The offense was far from smooth, but that probably is a product of facing an elite defense and the 1st team offense not having much game action together. Not concerned at all, they will be running smoothly soon.

Jahri Evans seemed like the weakest link on the line, maybe he just needs to knock some of the rust off and will be fine in the coming weeks. But when Baluga returns and if Evans continues to struggle, I could see Murphy being moved into the starting lineup at RG. Hopefully Evans improves with more reps together with the OL unit, but it is nice to have a guy in the wings for the just in case.

For the fans that were curled up in the fetal position and waving a white flag over Murphy having to start yesterday, I hope you were able to survive the day.

The one guy on defense that I thought that didn't look great was House. It is probably understandable with the amount of time he missed in preseason. Hoping it is another case of someone that just needs to work some of the rust off, but he was caught flat-footed several times and missed a number of tackles.

Overall a great first week, onto Atlanta.

Good post.

I'd argue that the offensive disaster of a first half was due to long developing iso routes that play perfectly into Seattle's hand.  Cant protect for more than 3 seconds.  4 sacks... at least MM learned his lesson - even though he should have learned it over 3 years ago by now. 

I do think what you see is what you get from House and Evans. 
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Offline DWhitehurst

• All Pro
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2017, 10:32:53 AM »
Ugly win, but a win. Our starting units on both sides of the ball look like a SB contender. However, like every other team, we lack depth in key units (e.g., OLine, OLB). So, to state the obvious ;) perhaps the biggest positive in any win this regular season will be if we come out of a game relatively injury-free as to starters. Only Ahmad Brooks (concussion) went down this game. That's yuge!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2017, 10:45:09 AM »
Wanted to post the actual defensive snap counts, but couldn't figure out how to cut and paste them. So here is a link.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0698877794565758074-4

What was interesting in these numbers is the high number of times they were in their 'nitro package'. Was this high volume in this package something that occurred simply to defend the Seahawks or is this going to be an every week thing. Brice was on the field for 96% of the snaps and Martinez for 86%, I didn't see that high of volume for those two coming.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2017, 11:26:46 AM »
Wanted to post the actual defensive snap counts, but couldn't figure out how to cut and paste them. So here is a link.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0698877794565758074-4

What was interesting in these numbers is the high number of times they were in their 'nitro package'. Was this high volume in this package something that occurred simply to defend the Seahawks or is this going to be an every week thing. Brice was on the field for 96% of the snaps and Martinez for 86%, I didn't see that high of volume for those two coming.

Two additional things jump out at me.

1. Jake Ryan only played 5 snaps yet had a tackel and assist.

2. We only played 49 snaps on defense. That is a very nice way to keep a defense fresh for the whole season. Fewest snaps by a defense in week 1 so far, tied with the Rams.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 11:33:50 AM by golfman »
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Descartes

• Rookie
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2017, 12:16:35 PM »
Thought this picture was both illustrative and enjoyable.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2017, 12:31:30 PM »
Ugly win, but a win. Our starting units on both sides of the ball look like a SB contender. However, like every other team, we lack depth in key units (e.g., OLine, OLB). So, to state the obvious ;) perhaps the biggest positive in any win this regular season will be if we come out of a game relatively injury-free as to starters. Only Ahmad Brooks (concussion) went down this game. That's yuge!

Yeah, that an awesome point, assuming there aren't some season-impacting injuries that we haven't heard about yet. 

I think Murphy playing OK further reassures relative to the o-line depth concerns, too. 

(Heh heh, I'm a huge believer that if the backup isn't too bad, you can more easily let a starter get well rehabbed before rushing him back.)