September 24, 2017, 11:33:26 PM

Author Topic: Postgame Coaches Corner :: Seattle @ Green Bay  (Read 3371 times)

Online B

• HOF Member
Re: Postgame Coaches Corner :: Seattle @ Green Bay
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2017, 10:43:54 PM »
It gets called frequently, especially on returns.

Below is the rule.

NFL VIDEO RULEBOOK
VIEW OFFICIAL RULEBOOK
Explore This Section
NFL VIDEO RULEBOOK
The NFL Video Rulebook explains NFL rules with video examples.

RULE 12 SECTION 1 ARTICLE 3
ILLEGAL BLOCK ABOVE THE
ILLEGAL BLOCK ABOVE THE WAIST

Blocks an opponent (from behind) in the back above the opponentís waist, or uses his hands or arms to push an opponent from behind in a manner that affects his movement, except in close-line play.

Note: The prohibition applies to a player of the kicking team while the ball is in flight during a scrimmage kick.

The use of hands on the back is not a foul when:

a player is making a personal attempt to recover a loose ball
the opponent turns away from the blocker when contact is imminent
both of the blockerís hands are on the opponentís side. (If either hand is on the back, it is a foul.)
Penalty: For an illegal block in the back above the waist by the offense: Loss of 10 yards.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2017, 11:01:31 PM »
He push him in the back. A classic clip. Read the rule book.

You are right, he touched Aaron Rodgers in the back.  If that's a "classic clip" you could literally find dozens of those sort of calls in almost any game you watch.         

Both Mike Pereira and Dean Blandino, who are as objective as you'll find on TV when it comes to analyzing penalties said it was a terrible call.

Interested to know when they said it was a 'terrible call'. I watched their weekly show and they did not make such a comment there. They felt strongly that the player should not have been ejected (I agree), but their comment on the block was that it 'was not a very forcible block in the back'. Please share where they said it was terrible.

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2017, 12:19:50 AM »
Rodgers was blocked in the back.  Hard to miss that.  Was not a bad call it was legit.  Don't give a crap what Buck or Aikman say.  They are idiots.  As for the ejection from what I saw it appeared to be a bad call.  However there may have been more to it that the camera's didn't catch.  So really don't know.  Thought they called the game a little tight but overall didn't think it was a poorly officiated game.

The Defense was fresh and healthy.  They dominated.  If they can stay healthy they will be very good this year.  They would have been last year too but injuries decimated the squad.   Health is the key.  The talent is there.

Guard looks like it's an issue.  Maybe Evans will improve but he got whipped.  No problem letting Lang go (his injuries concern me).  We should have hung on to Sitton though.  He's playing very well.  Anyway I am not sure the answer to the G problem is on the roster.  Actually think Barclay would have excelled in this roll but he's hurt.  We'll see how the line does next week but they played poorly against Seattle.

Only other comment is Randall Cobb.  Thought he looked quicker this year.  Had a great game and expect him to have a good season.  He stood out to me. 

Offline skcusICH

• HOF Member
« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2017, 02:46:17 AM »
What I saw was Jeremy Lane putting his weight into his forearm on Davante Adams' throat. The look on Adams' face looked like he was being choked.

Remember the cheap shot Jeremy Lane took on Randall Cobb last year? Things were getting chippy between the WR's and Jeremy Lane. The refs knew what was going on and put a stop to it. Did Adams instigate this specific instance? Yes. Is the instigator usually the one who gets caught? Nope, and any NFL viewer cannot deny that.

Jeremy Lane deserved it for his loser antics during the last meeting. Classic Seahawk reaction to losing.

As far as the block in the back penalty goes. Rodgers clearly was redirected off to the side after being pushed in the back while in pursuit. That's a penalty all the way. How so many have failed to see that is puzzling.

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2017, 04:27:27 AM »
I have watched that play four times now.  Lane does not push his forearm into Adams' throat.

That is simply a matter of camera perspective.

That penalty should have been on Adams for grabbing Lane by his face mask and twisting him around.  Lane then fell on top of him and put his forearm into his right shoulder pad.

Terrible call.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 04:29:58 AM by Gregg »

Online Waynorth

• Starter
« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2017, 08:17:10 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong. If the block in the back had not occurred and the personal fall was on the interception return, the touchdown would have counted with a 15 yard penalty on the kickoff.
"Knowledge does not enter your brain through an open mouth."

Offline SDProfessor

• Starter
« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2017, 09:08:04 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong. If the block in the back had not occurred and the personal fall was on the interception return, the touchdown would have counted with a 15 yard penalty on the kickoff.

The personal foul was during the return, so TD negated. If the personal foul was after the TD, then it would be enforced on kickoff.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2017, 09:21:37 AM »
Does anyone know when/if NFLNetwork will be replaying the game?
All Sundays coverage was IRMA related so I've only seen snippets of it.

Online Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2017, 06:34:16 PM »
Does anyone know when/if NFLNetwork will be replaying the game?
All Sundays coverage was IRMA related so I've only seen snippets of it.

I hope so.  We were on the road escaping Irma so I could only listen to Wayne and Larry on Sirius radio on Sunday.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2017, 08:04:43 AM »
I've not seen the game, but I like the looks of this weaponry. This crew stays healthy - this is a talented and varied group:

Green Bay Receiving

REC   YDS   TD   LONG   TGTS
R. Cobb   9   85   0   29   13
J. Nelson   7   79   1   32   8
D. Adams   3   47   0   21   7
M. Bennett   3   43   0   26   6
T. Montgomery   4   39   0   20   4
L. Kendricks   2   18   0   9   4

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2017, 08:48:07 AM »
Personal foul and ejection obvious bad call.

Block in the back is 50/50 call... player made the block (or attempt) and from the angle maybe looked worse than what it was and therefore called. However, Rodgers stated in press conference after game he did not realize the clip was called on Bennett (on him) because he did not even feel it.

Packers got the benefit of the calls on the play.

However, I do not think that detracts from the fact that the Packers were the better team last Sunday.

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2017, 11:16:39 AM »
Personal foul and ejection obvious bad call.

Block in the back is 50/50 call... player made the block (or attempt) and from the angle maybe looked worse than what it was and therefore called. However, Rodgers stated in press conference after game he did not realize the clip was called on Bennett (on him) because he did not even feel it.

Packers got the benefit of the calls on the play.

However, I do not think that detracts from the fact that the Packers were the better team last Sunday.

I agree with your last sentence, the Packers were clearly the better team on the field last Sunday.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment of the other calls.

The taunting call on Cobb in the first drive was intended to send the message that they were not going to tolerate "extra-curricular" activity after the whistle. Seattle's defense has a long history of pushing the envelope, and given the bad blood between these two teams it is not at all surprising that refs would be watching closely and calling it tight. Lane at a minimum got caught violently retaliating (often the guy who retaliates pays the higher price), and at worst playing dirty start to finish. The call and ejection in that context makes perfect sense.

On the other, nowhere in the rule is the effectiveness of a block a factor in calling an illegal block in the back. It was clear as day a two hand push in the back during a return. That exact block gets called frequently on punt and kick returns, and an interception return is not considered an exception to the rule.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2017, 02:23:39 PM »
Bad calls went both ways in this game.

SEA got away with an obvious PI on a long pass where the defender jumped into the Packer receiver with no attempt to play the ball.....no call.

And that was just the obvious one.

They grab and hold on every receiver on every play.

IMO..........SEA Karma.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2017, 03:38:27 PM »
Bob McGinn‏Verified account @BobMcGinn 23m23 minutes ago:
TE Martellus Bennett was fined $9,115 for unnecessary roughness penalty after shoving KJ Wright. He went off after OLB hit Rodgers legally.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2017, 04:20:09 PM »
Bob McGinn‏Verified account @BobMcGinn 23m23 minutes ago:
TE Martellus Bennett was fined $9,115 for unnecessary roughness penalty after shoving KJ Wright. He went off after OLB hit Rodgers legally.

KJ Wright didn't get flagged because Rodgers dove head first, but the way he hit Rodgers was borderline dirty (SEA staple) and Bennett (rightfully, IMO) took offense the the "way" that Wright hit Rodgers.

Best $9115 he will ever spend, and Aaron will have a special Christmas bonus for Marty this year for being AR's personal body guard!  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI0C70XTBQo