November 19, 2017, 08:17:55 AM

Author Topic: What do you think of our defense now???  (Read 8926 times)

Offline big ror

• HOF Member
Re: What do you think of our defense now???
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2017, 09:05:12 PM »
The defensive was really fun to watch today, but I'm not putting too much stock in this performance.

As many noted, Perry and Daniels were fantastic, but those two should be dominant against Seattle's offensive line.  I mean, that's a bottom five line in this league.  And while Wilson has a penchant for making spectacular plays, I think David Carr syndrome is starting to sink in a little.  What's more, he doesn't have enough elite talent at the skills position.  Baldwin, who is more of a great number 2 than a good number 1, and Graham, who really hasn't been the same since he left Nawlins, need more around them.  Richardson is developing, but he's not there yet.

In short, I think Seattle is fielding a bottom 12 offense.  So I expect this sort of play at home from this defense, for which I have high expectations.

Next week will be more telling, wherein they're on the road against a fast team who is christening a new stadium.

That said, even if they struggle next week, I still like this defense going forward.  As I noted elsewhere, they have the speed and experience that they've lacked for so many years.  Just as important, much of their core is young and on the come:  Lowry, Clark, Martinez, Ryan, Rollins, Randall, King, Brice, Jones, and HaHa are all vital players who should improve and ascend as the season continues (barring injury, duh).
"BBD.  Boring by Design."

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2017, 09:35:08 PM »
The defensive was really fun to watch today, but I'm not putting too much stock in this performance.

As many noted, Perry and Daniels were fantastic, but those two should be dominant against Seattle's offensive line.  I mean, that's a bottom five line in this league.  And while Wilson has a penchant for making spectacular plays, I think David Carr syndrome is starting to sink in a little.  What's more, he doesn't have enough elite talent at the skills position.  Baldwin, who is more of a great number 2 than a good number 1, and Graham, who really hasn't been the same since he left Nawlins, need more around them.  Richardson is developing, but he's not there yet.

In short, I think Seattle is fielding a bottom 12 offense.  So I expect this sort of play at home from this defense, for which I have high expectations.

Next week will be more telling, wherein they're on the road against a fast team who is christening a new stadium.

That said, even if they struggle next week, I still like this defense going forward.  As I noted elsewhere, they have the speed and experience that they've lacked for so many years.  Just as important, much of their core is young and on the come:  Lowry, Clark, Martinez, Ryan, Rollins, Randall, King, Brice, Jones, and HaHa are all vital players who should improve and ascend as the season continues (barring injury, duh).

Spot on Big Ror!!  The Seahawks started circling the drain when Marshawn left.  Their offensive line is pathetic, and their defense keeps them in their games.  It was a good performance today by the defense, but no reason to start drooling over them.  Hopefully, it can help build some confidence in the defense.   Next week will be a test for them, Devon House vs Julio Jones.  Our front seven vs Freeman and Coleman.  We'll see where they are at.   
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 09:36:43 PM by The GM »

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2017, 10:47:14 PM »
Every week is a new test. And of course we'll see how they do against a very good Falcons offense.

But if anyone had sad with all the two games in the books the Packers defense would rank:

#1 in time of possession defense,
#1 and fewest plays from scrimmage,
#4 in scoring defense,
#5 in yards per game defense...
I think all of you would have excitedly taken that
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2017, 11:41:28 PM »
Bakken Eggman didn't want to give credit where credit was due.
I am the Aikman goo goo g'joob.

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2017, 11:45:28 PM »
Got to love a John Lennon and the Beatles reference
-Vince Lombardi

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2017, 06:42:02 AM »
Wilson was pressured on 44 percent of his dropbacks, according to ESPN Stats & Information data, and he completed just six passes for 57 yards when pressured
-Vince Lombardi

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2017, 12:54:58 PM »
Yesterday was nice combo of pressure and secondary working together, and run + pass defense both working together.  Very complete domination. 
1.  Think some of the pressure was because Wilson held the ball.  Coverage pressure, the secondary covered well and gave the pressure time.
2.  Mirror is that the pressure did come, so the secondary didn't often have to cover forever.
3.  The defensive packages were also dual run/pass good:  this wasn't no-pressure Pickett-Jolly run-defense of 2014 or whenever.  The same package was able to do great against the run, if Seattle tried to run; but also got pressure.  "Take what the defense gives you", but the defensive didn't give either pass or run yesterday.
4.  Good run defense also set up pressure and secondary in that the defense benefitted from many good down-and-distance plays. 

Really fun.  But the domination at the line was an extreme mismatch which we won't enjoy again. 

Atlanta will be a much different test.  That said, the defense shouldn't need to put up no-TD defense every week, *if* the receivers can get open and the offense can score more than one >10-yard TD drive. 

Offline Shanedorf

• All Pro
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2017, 01:29:24 PM »

Indeed. Home grass vs Road turf are two completely different games. Its truly amazing how much of a difference it makes. ATL was looking "slow" on the bears tall grass, they'll be much faster on their new home turf Sunday night

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2017, 05:01:41 PM »
I thought they played a really good game against a struggling offense.

I'd give them a solid 8/10 for a rating because they always seem to give up big, successive plays at the most inopportune times against the Seahawks. I was not counting my seachickens until 0:00.

Front 7 dominated their OLine all across the board. Matthews, Daniels, Clark, and Perry all beat them like a drum. Hard to tell how the secondary played because of how dominant the front 7 was.

This is what we've come to expect from Green Bay's defense against a not so potent offense. Their real test will be an offense like Atlanta's.

Who only put up 23 points against Chicago

Wouldn't sell Chicago short or short sell Atlanta's offense.  Their defense, which was substantially more banged up than this year's, held our offense to just 26 points at Lambeau last year. 

I agree with others, next week is going to be a much bigger test.  Atlanta has a much better offensive line.  Our defense looked really good against one of the 2 or 3 worst OL's in the NFL, we'll see if they can get that same sort of pressure against Atlanta.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 05:03:10 PM by SSG »
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2017, 05:24:20 PM »
Yeah, healthy Chicago defense could be very good. 

Every week is different.  But I don't think should expect the defense to win every game. The offense could win some games even on days when the defense gives up some points. 

17 points certainly isn't going to get it done on Sunday. 

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2017, 06:11:10 PM »
I agree with others, next week is going to be a much bigger test.  Atlanta has a much better offensive line.  Our defense looked really good against one of the 2 or 3 worst OL's in the NFL, we'll see if they can get that same sort of pressure against Atlanta.

Of course thay won't, Atlanta's offense was no.1 in points scoring last year (Green Bay was no.4, Seattle 18). That's not a fair comparison. The Seattle defense ranked 3rd in points allowed last year (regular season), while Atlanta ranked 27th. The important thing is therefore how the Packers offense will do against Atlanta's defense, RELATIVE TO how their O does against the Packers D. Now that is a more sensible comparison.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2017, 06:15:47 PM »
Our Cbs will have to cover better receivers for a longer amount of time.  Pretty simple - well need to pressure with 4 to 5 and we'll need those big CB's to play some press man D to give the front 7 more time to get home. 

We saw a lot of zone - as we should vs a mobile QB.  That isn't the strength of our CB's, so I am hopeful.
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2017, 06:18:51 PM »
Key to the Seattle game was the interior pass rush.  Anytime you get that kind of penetration from your tackles its going to be a long day for the offense.  Daniels played an exceptional game, and was a huge reason they played so well.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2017, 09:46:27 PM »
Key to the Seattle game was the interior pass rush.  Anytime you get that kind of penetration from your tackles its going to be a long day for the offense.  Daniels played an exceptional game, and was a huge reason they played so well.

Correct and good observation. Pressure & penetration up the middle is really beneficial in blocking/cutting off passing lanes, preventing the QB stepping up to release the ball and pushing the QB towards the outside pass rush. Hope our DL can keep that up.

Offline cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2017, 05:53:59 PM »
So far Seattle has scored 6 points on the 49ers defense.  (4th quarter)  The 49ers are playing just their 2nd game in their new scheme.  So, there's that.
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.