November 19, 2017, 09:59:49 PM

Author Topic: Today the Packers beat up a bully...  (Read 911 times)

Offline B

• HOF Member
Today the Packers beat up a bully...
« on: September 10, 2017, 11:30:24 PM »
I loved the physicality of the Packers today. Seattle likes to come out and Bully teams, the Packers turned the tables on them and beat the hell out of them.

Many thought Seattle was in the top two of the best teams in the NFC, after today they're clearly behind the Packers.

Next week the Packers face another team that likes to think of itself as a bully. Most have rated the Packers Seahawks and Falcons the top dogs in the NFC.

Frankly, the Packers were embarrassed after last year's NFC Championship Game. I like the Packers chances with a reloaded defense and everybody relatively healthy. If they come out with the kind of fight they did against the Seahawks, there won't be much talked about who the top team in the NFC is anymore - clearly will be the Packers if they beat the Falcons
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 11:32:14 PM by B »
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
Re: Today the Packers beat up a bully...
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 11:39:12 PM »
Many thought Seattle was in the top two of the best teams in the NFC, after today they're clearly behind the Packers.
Well, they're behind us in the standings, at least for now.  I think we're the better team, but it could have easily been a different story if this game had been played in Seattle.  I'm surprised I haven't heard more crying about the penalty on Rodger's INT.  But even if you forget the score, we were still the dominant team in this game. 

Online Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 07:42:52 AM »
Well, they're behind us in the standings, at least for now.  I think we're the better team, but it could have easily been a different story if this game had been played in Seattle.  I'm surprised I haven't heard more crying about the penalty on Rodger's INT.  But even if you forget the score, we were still the dominant team in this game.

A couple of points.  First, I wonder if the NFL was trying to send a message to Pete Carroll and Seattle to clean up their act.  They have been overt in their cheap shots in prior years- not as much a guy like Suh was, but cheap nonetheless.  The officials decided to get out in front of it.  I can't blame them for that.

I haven't looked at the pick play again yet, but it could have been worse for them- if they had called Devante Adams for the facemask on the return, and called Lane for the personal foul, or even just Avril for the block in the back- which it was- it looks to me like offsetting penalties and we get the ball back in good field position.  Booting Lane was bad for them, but if we got the ball back we may have opened up with score and put Seattle in a real hole.

I feel like Seattle has tried to be bullies under Pete Carroll, and pushed the limits of legal, and yesterday the officials sent the message that they needed to clean that up.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 08:32:14 AM by Twain »
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Online Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 08:26:51 AM »
Interesting article by Kevin Seifert:

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/247962/why-nfl-officials-are-ejecting-players-who-dont-actually-throw-a-punch

I think all the nonsense between guys like Norman and Beckham JR in previous seasons has made the NFL intolerant of some of the more extreme non-essential aggression.  They are sending the message early.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 08:32:54 AM by Twain »
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 08:46:04 AM »
I think you're right on both your posts brother Twain.

Seattle is really pushed the envelope of being cheap, and the NFL is cracking down on that across the league.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 08:50:14 AM »
I loved the physicality of the Packers today. Seattle likes to come out and Bully teams, the Packers turned the tables on them and beat the hell out of them....

I'm not interested in the Packers turning the tables and becoming a dirty, cheap team. 

Love strong physical football stuff, and Packers showed lots:  strong tackling, very physical play by Packers d-line, Montgomery's tough running when space was so limited, Rodgers competitiveness and willingness to go for a game-winning first-down rather than take a safe slide, I loved those aspects of the physicality and competitiveness.  Being able to play *football* with physicality and to win, that's great.

But I have no desire for the Packers to establish themselves as a dirty team.  Pretty sure if I wasn't watching as a Packer fan, I'd have seen the Adams face mask as being cheap, intentional, and kinda dirty.  If I wasn't a Packers fan, I see a runner diving for a game-winning first down and a defender desperately trying to get their first and stop him, I wouldn't have seen the Seattle contact on Rodgers as being even remotely cheap or dirty, that's football.  The guy is desperately trying to stop the runner ASAP, he can't reverse that.  But the Bennett thing, that would have seemed dumb, very intentional, and kinda non-football bully stuff. 

Don't need that stuff.  Can play hard and very well without playing dirty or dumb or taking unneeded penalties. 

Online Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 09:10:16 AM »
I don't think anyone has asked for them to become cheap and dirty

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 09:15:08 AM »
Exactly kempler. The Packers just physically dominated them on both sides of the ball yesterday. From snap to whistle.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 09:15:56 AM by B »
-Vince Lombardi

Online Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 09:27:31 AM »
On the Adams-Lane interaction that lead to the ejection, I am waiting for the all 22 to come out to see the whole interaction.

Fox's coverage may be misleading because by the time they are visible on the tape, Lane is behind Adams and for some reason he and Adams are already engaged in hand fighting, and it is significantly before the Adams face mask.

Normally, I would expect that Adams would be focused down the field toward the ball, and so what was Lane doing to get him hand fighting in a backwards direction.  And of course Fox didn't choose to show the whole interaction.   They started the clip with Adams grabbing the face mask when they went back to detail it.

Clearly, I am a homer- but I really want to see the rest of the story before I accept the judgement that the officials were wrong on this.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 09:44:03 AM »
Several Packers players got dinged up (Ahmad Brooks was an unfortunate loss, through concussion, if memory serves). Aaron got trod on twice and is almost certainly bruised, Ty went to the sideline for a bit.

Despite that, it seemed to me that physically Seattle got the worst of the encounter, lots of their guys failed to bounce up after a play, at one time or another. I expect (at the least) minor injuries, when the Pack play Seattle, because they are a very physical team and exceptional defensively. At this meeting we got after the 'bully' and gave him just a little bit more than he could handle.

Packers don't look a soft team this year, though I thought in the past that was a horribly over-used term. The Packers tend to be a team that wants to execute, rather than the more Seattle-like desire to punch the other side in the mouth. Even from game one, it looks like the Pack can deal with physicality just fine.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 11:10:50 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline Shanedorf

• All Pro
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 11:00:47 AM »
Despite that, it seemed to me that physically Seattle got the worst of the encounter, lots of their guys failed to bounce up after a play, at one time or another.

The body language for Seattle defenders was quite illuminating. As noted by others, they aren't used to getting out-physicalled and they were on Sunday.

Loved the comment from Ron Wolf post- game:

" Enjoy your trip home"

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 11:36:48 AM »
Several Packers players got dinged up (Ahmad Brooks was an unfortunate loss, through concussion, if memory serves). Aaron got trod on twice and is almost certainly bruised, Ty went to the sideline for a bit.

Despite that, it seemed to me that physically Seattle got the worst of the encounter, lots of their guys failed to bounce up after a play, at one time or another. I expect (at the least) minor injuries, when the Pack play Seattle, because they are a very physical team and exceptional defensively. At this meeting we got after the 'bully' and gave him just a little bit more than he could handle.

Packers don't look a soft team this year, though I thought in the past that was a horribly over-used term. The Packers tend to be a team that wants to execute, rather than the more Seattle-like desire to punch the other side in the mouth. Even from game one, it looks like the Pack can deal with physicality just fine.

KJ Wright broke a bone in his foot and is expected to be out 6 weeks. I heard Carroll say this is his press conference. Not that anyone is looking for them to get hurt. It was nice seeing their defense so physically exhausted however.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "