November 22, 2017, 06:51:27 AM

Author Topic: The Vikings  (Read 1807 times)

Offline DWhitehurst

• HOF Member
The Vikings
« on: September 11, 2017, 10:42:53 PM »
Watched the Vikings-Saints game...impressions....first, to be upfront I hate the Vikings. Loathe them. Despise them. Nevertheless, that doesn't cloud my judgement to not see they look real good, improved on offense...Bradford is a good QB...RB Dalvin Cook is the real deal (so good that it makes me 'heretically' wonder if he should have been the Packers pick rather than our 'project' King)...their OLine is improved...their Defense is still top 10.

Granted, they were playing the Saints, who may be middle of the road, but still...these Vikings may give the Packers a run for their money as to who wins the NFC North.

My money is still on the Packers provided they stay relatively healthy, but it won't be a cake walk whatsoever.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 11:15:49 PM by DWhitehurst »

Offline Tony

• HOF Member
Re: The Vikings
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 10:54:52 PM »
Yeah, Bradford was dropping dimes all night!  One of the best games I ever saw him play actually.  Frankly, the Vikes looked like a really well oiled machine, and it pains me to no end to say that.  Heck, even their O line looked great.  Formidable for sure.
“There’s a man going round, taking names, and he decides who to free and who to blame!”  LMG ala Johnny Cash

Offline packdaddy

• All Pro
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 08:21:23 AM »
Bradford always has a couple games each year where he looks like an MVP (usually against us), but then he settles back into his mediocre ways.

As for D. Cook, good grief, another running back we have to deal with for 7 years. Why can't we get one of those?

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 05:36:06 PM »
Bradford always has a couple games each year where he looks like an MVP (usually against us), but then he settles back into his mediocre ways.

As for D. Cook, good grief, another running back we have to deal with for 7 years. Why can't we get one of those?

Do you mean like Eddie Lacy his first two years? An injury, a bit of bad luck, or just a change in personnel can make a huge difference from one year to the next. And now, we're extolling a guy who played well against the Saints defense? 
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 06:13:36 PM »

Do you mean like Eddie Lacy his first two years? An injury, a bit of bad luck, or just a change in personnel can make a huge difference from one year to the next. And now, we're extolling a guy who played well against the Saints defense?

No, not like Eddy Lacy.  Lacy at his best was nothing more than slow plodding 2 down back who did his damage breaking tackles.  He never showed he was capable of getting to the edge, using speed to get around the corner.  He also wasn't much more than blocker on 3rd down as he never showed he was a capable, consistent receiver. 

It's a NFL defense in his first game as a pro.  Any rookie who looked as good as he did deserves the praise.  I can't recall the last time we had a rookie look that good in his first game... It certainly wasn't Lacy who didn't even manage 3 YPC in his first game much less the almost 6 YPC that Cook averaged.
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 08:40:47 PM »
I jumped and screamed like an ignored and wide open WR for Dalvin Cook before the draft.  Oh well, cant do anything now, but he would have been a Marshall Faulk in this offense.

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 09:29:38 PM »
Bradford set the record last year for highest completion percentage in a season.  He's not a joke.  I believe we can handle the Vikings, but they're going to be a force in the division this year.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 12:36:13 AM »
Bradford did not have a line in front of him last year, and he did not have a RB.

Those appear to  have been improved this year. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 12:36:49 AM by Gregg »

Offline Toddfather

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 09:05:44 AM »
Bradford has always had the potential to be legit, but never could stay healthy. I am not going to dismiss his abilities, but I think we can still edge out the Vikes. The good thing, is we seem to be able to get pressure this season.  8)

Offline DWhitehurst

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 09:16:28 PM »
Bradford did not have a line in front of him last year, and he did not have a RB.

Those appear to  have been improved this year.

Bingo.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 08:01:10 AM »
Bradford took a beating against a bad defense, but he hung in there and made some really good throws no doubt about it. I am NOT so sure about that improved offensive line either. Bradford took a beating against a bad defense.

Let's see the Vikings play a good team before we start crowning their ass.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 08:02:30 AM by golfman »
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 08:03:35 AM »
Bradford took a beating against a bad defense, but he hung in there and made some really good throws no doubt about it. I am NOT so sure about that improved offensive line either. Bradford took a beating against a bad defense.

Sounds like the late Dennis Green.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 08:37:28 AM »
Let's see how the Vikes do against a defense more stout than the Saints.

Online Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 08:48:29 AM »

/sarcasm
But after the first game of the regular season is the best time to judge a team's ultimate success level. These first games are like mini super bowls.

This works for draft picks too. Any future all pros are immediately discernable after the first game.
/end sarcasm

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 10:34:19 AM »
I don't really follow the Vikings, so I don't know what they did to improve their offensive line.  But the theme of the season so far seems to be that teams that have good OLs are successful.  So if what you say is true, they should contend for a playoff spot.  And remember, they did start out 5-0 last year before they fell off the radar.