September 24, 2017, 11:33:34 PM

Author Topic: MM Press highlights  (Read 498 times)

Online B

• HOF Member
MM Press highlights
« on: September 11, 2017, 10:52:59 PM »
McCarthy on Kyle Murphy: Played well for his first game. Has things to work on. He did a nice job for his first start.

Mike McCarthy on Sunday's win: "Touchdown, touchdown, field goal and you run out the clock. That's the way you finish a game."
Rob Demovsky, ESPN Staff Writer

Tom Silverstein ✔ @TomSilverstein
McCarthy: Pursuit and finish on defense was outstanding. Tells us, we're healthy. Also, that it's another year in the defense, experience

Green Bay Packers ✔ @packers
McCarthy: @NickTheGreat8 & @Mike_Daniels76 had dominant performances. Two highest grades on the football team. #SEAvsGB

McCarthy: We didn't play our best game. Play calls I wish I had back. That's why you have a chance to correct it.

McCarthy: We were not as clean as we would like to be. Our mechanics and tempo could have been better.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
Re: MM Press highlights
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 08:09:11 AM »
Spot on evaluation by the head coach. Agree with all of it.

Online golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 08:13:33 AM »
Spot on evaluation by the head coach. Agree with all of it.

Except for his postgame presser where he stood by the timeouts at the end of the first half.

His quote, 'absolutely the right call. I'd do it again!'

In other words, he's going to repeat his stupid mistake again, and again and again.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 08:15:35 AM »
I was only replying to what B had posted. I didn't like those time outs either. Made no sense.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 09:11:30 AM »
I think MM is in denial with the timeouts.

However, he was noticeably more aggressive putting the game away at the end (than he normally is), so maybe he'll improve his time management one day ? Unlikely, but I can no longer say impossible..
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:12:19 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 10:20:24 AM »
I know I'm in the minority, but I liked what he was doing at the end of the first half. Your defense is playing so good...there's a chance for a turnover deep in the opponents side of the field. The only fly in the ointment was if they didn't get a turnover...Seattle could run out the clock. As it turned out they got a first down and hit two big plays and kicked the field goal. If your team is that dominant as the Packers were on defense...you take those chances. All or most all coaches do the same thing. Check BB doing it on Thursday night. Doesn't always work but it's an effort to jump start the offense and get some cheap points.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 10:49:56 AM »
I didn't like the timeouts, I thought they were inadequately considered. On the other hand, it was an expression of aggression that showed up at the end of the game as well, which I very much approve Duff.

I feel way more forgiving of MM taking some chances and being aggressive (even when they don't turn out) if it is in-tune or attuned to the team He is building and aspiring to be. Translation, in this case I'll take the good with the bad.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 12:03:16 PM »
I know I'm in the minority, but I liked what he was doing at the end of the first half. Your defense is playing so good...there's a chance for a turnover deep in the opponents side of the field. The only fly in the ointment was if they didn't get a turnover...Seattle could run out the clock. As it turned out they got a first down and hit two big plays and kicked the field goal. If your team is that dominant as the Packers were on defense...you take those chances. All or most all coaches do the same thing. Check BB doing it on Thursday night. Doesn't always work but it's an effort to jump start the offense and get some cheap points.

No way. As good as the defense was, we only forced one turnover all game. The chances of forcing a turnover when they are clearly running out the clock are so, so, so much lower than them converting a first down and either running out the clock or going down the field and scoring. I've defended McCarthy many times in similar situations in the past, but he had absolutely nothing to gain by calling those timeouts. In the absolute best case scenario, he could only dare them into attempting a pass (which they did, completing it) and get the ball back with almost no time left on the clock.

Offline skcusICH

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 02:18:41 PM »
I disliked the timeouts, I usually do. Reflecting on it, I think I can see a reasoning for it...maybe

It had been a tough and hard fought game up to that point...no score. Fairly lucky actually to not be losing 7-0, despite outplaying Seattle in almost all areas. That defense is tough and they look as good as ever with Earl Thomas back and more capable guys up front than ever. Bring in Trevor Davis... He's had quite a few huge returns in his few opportunities. Could have electrified Lambeau heading into the half. Players feed off the crowd and play off emotion at times. If one disagrees with that, I question if they've ever played or been up close and personal in front of more than a couple hundred people.

Another thought is that Green Bay has forced a ton of turnovers against Seattle in recent games. The pass rush was strong right out of the gate also. Reason to think a Wilson mistake was coming sooner or later. One mistake and it's a chance for the Packers to double up on scoring before and after the half.

With those said, I don't call the timeouts and head it into the half.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 02:30:23 PM »
So there have now been two explanations for why MM might have chosen that. 
1.  Hope for a turnover.
2.  Hope for a punt return. 

I think a 3rd possibility is that MM and the staff may thought there could be time to get 1-2-3 punt, and *still* have time to run a play or two.  (Just a field-goal try; or perhaps time for both a passing play AND a field goal try.  Or time for just a hail-Mary.) 

Maybe that thinking was false, and there would be zero time, that Seattle could have run off the clock even if Packers had stopped them on 3rd down.  Staffs can make mistakes, and if you have a mistaken premise, that can lead to a logical but mistaken conclusion. 

So, just to be clear, if the Packers had made successful stop on 3rd down, how many seconds were then left?  And how many would there have been if Seattle ran it out as long as possible before punting? 

Online golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 03:24:27 PM »
Everybody go back and look at the time on the clock after 1st down when we took a timeout. There was NO way they were going to have to punt, much less a return, that was the flaw in his reasoning.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Online mikebpackfan

• All Pro
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 03:46:18 PM »
Everybody go back and look at the time on the clock after 1st down when we took a timeout. There was NO way they were going to have to punt, much less a return, that was the flaw in his reasoning.

The second time out was at 0:43, so it is very very very very unlikely that Seattle would have needed to run the fourth down play. Terrible TOs, especially the 2nd one. The first one was kinda OK, they had 2nd and 11, maybe they would be dumb and pass. But with 3rd and 3 and 0:43 left?  Beyond stupid. They will definetly run the ball, so either the clock runs out or they get the first down and have two TOs to try to do something. The risk/reward was far too much in Seattle's favor at that point. McCarthy's insistence that it was the right call is also ridiculous. It's macho bulls***. Things like this are why I don't completely buy into the "fans can't criticize because the coaches know so much more" attitude lots of people have.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 04:25:23 PM »

I think you are probably right.  Initially I was thinking he was angling toward making them punt, get a fair catch near midfield, and then electing for the little used free kick rule. 

But looking at the timing, and having only two time outs, they would never have gotten to the punt play.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."