November 19, 2017, 09:59:30 PM

Author Topic: Game 2 :: Green Bay (1+0) @ Atlanta (1+0)  (Read 3444 times)

Offline Toddfather

• HOF Member
Re: Game 2 :: Green Bay (1+0) @ Atlanta (1+0)
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 09:24:32 AM »
I just think this is a very good early test for our defense. These guys are no joke, especially on their own turf, in their new stadium. I like that we are starting against teams we could very well be seeing in January.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2017, 09:37:10 AM »
Wherever you got your factoid leader it is incorrect. The Packers have no current players from a trade and they do have one from a waiver claim ( Chris Odom). I've always felt that factoids should contains accurate facts. Maybe it's just me that feels that way.

Take it up with these folks: https://www.profootballrumors.com/  (scroll down).

I did, they also have errors on atleast the Steelers, Patriots and Seahawks along with the Packers. Hopefully they care enough to correct it. Information isn't much good if the information isn't correct.   

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2017, 02:00:49 PM »
Great opportunity for the Packers to make a statement.  On the road against the defending NFC Champs.  Not an easy task but punching them in the mouth after beating Seattle could send a message throughout the NFC.

Online Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2017, 07:05:52 AM »
Are we healthy?  What about BB and Brooks?

Brooks is still under concussion protocol, would think we would hear about Bulaga's status with McCarthy's next presser.

Injury report on Wed both were DNP:  Bulaga - ankle/illness, Brooks - concussion

Not expecting Brooks back for this game....  with concussions player always seems to miss at least 1 game.

If Bulaga does not practice Thursday at all, would not expect him for game either. Also think recent roster moves may also signal that it is very doubtful he plays.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2017, 07:32:31 AM »
"The Green Bay Packers are headed back to Atlanta for a rematch with the defending NFC champion Falcons in Week 2........"

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/09/13/packers-vs-falcons-preview-5-questions-with-falcons-wire/

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2017, 07:42:55 AM »
Not thrilled to see Bak on the injury list too with a hammy. Need to get these big, uglies healthy. Bulaga was limited last week and DNP yesterday. I guess it could have been due to sickness, but this isn't good sign. Again, I hope Murphy battles like he did last week, but he has his limitations.

http://www.packers.com/team/injury-report.html
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2017, 08:01:44 AM »
Need to get these big, uglies healthy.

You got that right. Our OL has a bit of a Swiss Cheese feel to it right now....which does not bode well.

On a separate tact - I didnt think up the concept - but Geronimo puts it into his words:

"I feel much better out there with my routes, with my reads, and just being amongst the guys out there. I'm feeling like I can play better and I can play faster. Less thinking and just react."

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/packers-offense-will-need-to-soar-higher-than-the-falcons-345

My take on the two articles just posted - Atlanta's loading up and will be a tough W. Maybe not right now...perhaps an early season meeting is a good thing and hopefully the mythical SB hangover will hang over the field on Sunday (?)...but they're a talented team.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2017, 08:14:35 AM »
The hangover after losing a Super Bowl is very real. Hard to believe, but the last team to lose a Super Bowl and win it the next year was over 40 years ago. Miami in the early 1970s.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 08:16:35 AM by The GM »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2017, 08:20:01 AM »
A couple of things jump out about this game to me.

First is how well the Bears ran the ball against the Falcons defense. They are a little light in the pants and built to fly around defending passing offenses. If GB can pound the ball early, they will have a chance to effect their pass rush as the game plays on. Just don't want to get down 2 scores early, that would allow them to play to their strength.

Second is that the Bears DL won their battle with the Falcons OL. If Daniels and company can put pressure on Ryan in the pocket, they will win their share of 3rd downs and get off the field. Their new RG got abused by the Bears and if the Packers can get Daniels isolated up on him that could be a huge advantage for GB. 

The Packers have been waiting all offseason to play this team again and the chance to get that crap taste out of their mouthes. Don't underestimate the revenge factor in this game for the Packers. Combine that with a Super Bowl hangover that the Falcons have and I sense a strong chance for the Packers to win this game. In fact, I expect it!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2017, 08:31:44 AM »
The hangover after losing a Super Bowl is very real. Hard to believe, but the last team to lose a Super Bowl and win it the next year was over 40 years ago. Miami in the early 1970s.

It is very real and every year people think this year is different. Two years ago people talked about the Panthers would be making a return trip to the SB, not only no SB, no playoffs, no winning record. It will be surprising to me if the Falcons even made the playoffs this year. The Falcons suffered the worst loss in SB history last year, it is not human to just move on from that.

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2017, 08:40:28 AM »
Tough challenge, but exactly the type contest that championship teams are built by facing.

Green Bay, Seattle, Atlanta and Dallas were widely considered to be the top BIG DOGS of the NFC.
Last week the Pack whipped the Seahags, this week they get a shot at the dirty birds,
and in less than a month they'll get a shot at the Pokes.

All early, but Big Conference games with playoff seeding implications for sure when all is said and done.

I like this years Packer squad, even on the road in their new house - but it will not be easy.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 08:42:01 AM by B »
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2017, 08:42:29 AM »
I believe a component of the "SB hangover" could be that teams with "easier" schedules - or who catch a break with a down year in their divisional competition - get to the SB - lose - in other words, get put in their place and have "reality" imposed on them / their true talent level - only to find the following years schedule isnt quite as easy.......

Thats obviously not applicable in all cases - but I think it could be a factor. Does it apply here? Cant say.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 08:43:21 AM by Leader »

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2017, 08:47:50 AM »
I'm not sure why the SB loss has such a negative affect on teams. I hope that the Packers can continue to run the ball this Sunday and make the Falcons come up and loosen up those longer routes. The 2-TE set could be used quite a bit so looking at Kendrick getting some great looks as well as 3rd TE Rodgers. Bennett may be covered inside and out with shifted coverage. I still think the two straws that stir the drink for the Packers will be Rodgers and Monty.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline Shanedorf

• All Pro
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2017, 10:07:44 AM »
I'm not sure why the SB loss has such a negative affect on teams.

There are of course many factors, But they are both physically spent -  from a 20 game season that stretches into February and mentally drained from losing and having to answer endless questions about why they lost. It takes its toll

The Packers offense and defense have the ability to play different kinds of games vs different types of opponents. This week, they'll face an offense that is light years ahead of Seattle in terms of production, averaging 33+ points per game and 37+ points  over their last 6 home games.

On the defensive side of the coin, the 2016 Falcons were worse than the much-maligned Packer defense in terms of points given up, red zone scoring, opponent passer rating and others.

I like the Packers in this match-up and starting the season vs Seattle should help their confidence in winning the physical battle.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2017, 10:35:49 AM »
The Packer defense was abused and embarrassed in the NFCC last year by ATL.

That fact has not been lost on Daniels, who has been "smoldering" about it ever since.

You can bet he's been in every defensive players grillwork about this game since they started the off-season program.

Daniels and the he front 7 could very well be the chess pieces that wipe the smirks off the faces of the dirty birds.

Let's hope so!!