November 20, 2017, 01:39:28 AM

Author Topic: Packers release Gunther  (Read 2601 times)

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
Re: Packers release Gunther
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2017, 06:12:08 PM »
I really, really liked Gunter. I hope he finds a good team and has success in the NFL.

Offline Shanedorf

• All Pro
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2017, 06:21:01 PM »
Agreed...  I liked Gunter better. Maybe coaches see more upside in Pipkins.

Pipkins offers upside and he can play special teams. The 4,5, 6th CB needs to bring something to the table on STs and Gunter wasn't able to. Wish him well

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2017, 06:30:16 PM »
He's going to get signed and someone is going to get a pretty good CB.  He was BY FAR our best CB last year.  He got the brunt of the blame for the bad secondary oil the playoffs when the reality is no CB is going to have consistent success when your pass rush is giving your opponents QB an eternity to throw the ball.

Unfortunately that's not saying much.   :-\  Gunther was a gamer but too darn slow.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2017, 06:39:11 PM »
He's going to get signed and someone is going to get a pretty good CB.  He was BY FAR our best CB last year.  He got the brunt of the blame for the bad secondary oil the playoffs when the reality is no CB is going to have consistent success when your pass rush is giving your opponents QB an eternity to throw the ball.

My only "thing" with Gunter was his speed - or the apparent lack of it - but, he was a first year UDFA who I thought got pressed into service too much / too soon. He wasnt ready IMO - so slack has to be cut. The number of 1st year guys that can cut it at a high level in the NFL is limited - and at CB - in the pass happy NFL - you *will* get exposed - and he was.

That said - the coaches apparently like the talent (and speed) of the guys behind him - more than they believe experience, coaching, training and confidence in assignment will change Gunter into a better CB.

It's my believe that FAST players are "slower" until they know what they're doing and can react naturally. Will Gunter gain that speed? Cant say? Perhaps his technique will improve and compensate - cause he was awfully "touchy/feely" last year. Cant say. I wish him well.   

Online SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2017, 06:39:14 PM »

Unfortunately that's not saying much.   :-\  Gunther was a gamer but too darn slow.

Says something because 2 of those CBs are still on the team.  Rollins, Randall and Gunther are all 3rd year guys and I don't believe its going out on a limb saying Gunther has been consistently the best of the 3. 

I'm not sure Gunther playing speed is any slower than either House or Rollins. Just like Rollins and House, he needs to get his hands on the WR.  Look how incredibly slow House looked on Sunday when he couldn't get his hands on Lockett.  Thankfully Wilson missed the routine TD as House was absolutely torched.
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2017, 06:39:41 PM »
Both the Bears and the Lions could use him.

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2017, 07:02:04 PM »
Tyler Lockett makes many DBs look slow; he’s got blazing speed! But that written, I agree with your point about Gunter and Davon House. They have to body up with a receiver to be effective.

Gunter was OK, but I believe the Packers favor the speed and upside of Lenzy Pipkins. I wouldn’t be shocked if he winds up back with Green Bay, but I may well be wrong...It’s happened before!   ( - : #

Regardless, I wish Ladarius well. He’s a hard-working kid who left it all on the field in those last games!

For the record: His name is “Gunter,” G-U-N-T-E-R, NOT “Gunther.”
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 07:06:50 PM by JQ »

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2017, 07:07:44 PM »
So Gunter is active and Hawkins and Pipkins aren't, yet he's released. I do think he gets picked up this week. So what is the deal with RJF? Any news on if they think Bulaga is a go next week because McCarthy gave the impression he was going to be good to go last week.

Not sure what OT we could be picking up. Based on the Seahawks O-line there can't be too much available bcause they have starters who should be on the street.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2017, 07:30:35 PM »
Curious move on Gunt.  He just can't run.  Too bad if he was 2 tenths faster he'd be a hell of a corner.  Not sure who they will sign.  Maybe they are making a move for Datone or Ringo.  Other possibility somebody is sniffin' around Yancey or Clark.  Dunno.  Thoguht Pipkins would have been the odd man out.  Didn't see RJF coming although wasn't all that impressed with him. 

Offline gbnd4life

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2017, 08:04:18 PM »
I don't see where RJF was released!!!

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2017, 08:40:05 PM »

NFL.com Gunter is not on the roster, but RJF is so there is your answer.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Online SDProfessor

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2017, 12:04:59 AM »
No se.  (Means I don't know)

Pipkins over Gunter?  Reeeeallly?  Mmmmk

Agreed...  I liked Gunter better. Maybe coaches see more upside in Pipkins.

Yo sabía que significa no sé, vivo en Argentina   :)
En serio? K Paaadddrrrreee!

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2017, 12:27:25 AM »

NFL.com Gunter is not on the roster, but RJF is so there is your answer.

He will be tomorrow. 

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2017, 12:31:27 AM »
Michael Oher as an OT?

I would have thought Seattle would have signed him already.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2017, 07:57:41 AM »
From APC:

"Because Gunter has less than three accrued years, he must pass through waivers before he can negotiate with another team. If he clears, the Packers could sign him to the practice squad."

You think the GBPs would consider him for the PS? See if time and training improve his overall game?
I'm a proponent of "T+T" can make for a better player. Is there upside still for Gunter? Or have we seen enough to know not?