November 19, 2017, 10:00:16 PM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v Falcons Game Day Thread  (Read 8418 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
The OFFICIAL Packers v Falcons Game Day Thread
« on: September 12, 2017, 05:46:44 PM »
Another week, another challenge. This time the Falters, who will either prove last season was one of their five year surges, or will prove they are indeed for real. I stand firmly in the "surge" camp. "Matty Ice" melted once again when the heat gor turned up. However, winning at the opening of another new stadium will be a tough. But the Packers defense looked unexpectedly tough last week, and the offense, though sputtering, did enough to win against a really tough defense. Expect another somewhat sloppy game, since teams are still getting in synch, and players are still getting into game shape. And three points one way or the other could very well be the margin of victory.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v Falcons Game Day Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 06:24:00 PM »

Thanks Ricky. The GDT thread will be opened Sunday morning :)

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 06:53:26 AM »
The time has come.....to establish ourselves as the NFC front runner.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 08:01:50 AM »
Bulaga and Daniels expected to play according to Rappoport.

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 08:15:42 AM »
Another week, another challenge... winning at the opening of another new stadium will be a tough. Expect another somewhat sloppy game, since teams are still getting in synch, and players are still getting into game shape. And three points one way or the other could very well be the margin of victory.

Like ricky, I see this game as a significant early season challenge. Injuries to Montravius Adams, DT - Ankle, David Bakhtiari, T - Hamstring, Bryan Bulaga, T - Ankle, Mike Daniels, DT - Hip, all questionable; Ahmad Brooks, LB - Concussion, doubtful; and Jason Spriggs, T - Hamstring - OUT intensifies the challenge given Atlanta's health (rookie RB lone name on injured list). Add in the road factor and new stadium, and this game featuring the teams that played for the NFL Championship back in January leaves no room for error (let alone sloppiness).

Aaron and the Packers really want this one, but so too does Matt the Falcons as this has possible serious seeding implications come the playoffs, and face it these two teams do not like one another.

My head says be cautious, my heart says go all in with the Pack, my gut breaks the tie predicting Green Bay in a classic heavyweight battle.

Good news on Buluga and Daniels if Rappoport is correct cheese)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 08:48:03 AM by B »
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 08:17:39 AM »
Bulaga and Daniels expected to play according to Rappoport.

WOW! You're good, just came here to post that note.

No mention of Bak however which we could use as well. Want those OT's to get well so our line can be what we think it can be. Obviously need Daniels to by healthy because he looked all-pro week 1.

Go Pack Go! Feeling much better about this game right now if Bak can go too. Wonder if Adams, Dial or both get the call this week?
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 09:18:57 AM »
I have said before how much I like playing two of the toughest challenges of the year in the first two games.

I'd much rather see the Packers playing the very difficult games without a rash of injuries to slow them down, at least we can watch them at something close to their best. That is not to say they WILL get crippled by injury this year, I hope they have a really healthy year, but we have sen the Packers hit harder than most over the years (at least that is how it seems to me).

A great test against Atlanta and a totally different challenge, compared  to the game vs Seattle.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 10:12:02 AM »
Reading on a Atlanta site this morning and found this,

Brett Davis-USA TODAY Sports

New offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian struggled to replicate Atlanta’s historically explosive offense from a year ago. Some of that was due to the Bears’ stout front seven. You could also point to a lack of innovative play-calling. Sarkisian will again try to get the ball to Freeman early, but the Packers will make it tough for Atlanta’s offensive line to get the necessary push up front. If the Falcons struggle and lose, there could be some real concern surrounding Sarkisian’s role as play caller.

From a Packers fans viewpoint it is hard to get the memory of the Falcons scoring at will on them in the NFCC game out of our minds, but is it possible that the Falcons will not be nearly as good this year on offense? The Super Bowl hangover has been brought up earlier this week, but the loss of the OC may also play into a less productive unit. Year after year we see this play out, could Atlanta be next to take a hit?

Looking at many predictions from national media,most seem to think this is a high scoring shootout, high 20's to 30's for both teams scoring wise. Vegas says O/U 55 1/2 , everyone is thinking scoring will be freeflowing. The more I look and read, I think the defenses will have as big a say in this game as these assumed high powered offenses. Either way it should be a very fun game to watch.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 11:16:53 AM »
I think Bennett and Montgomery play huge roles tonight in the passing game.  Could be a memorable night for Montgomery.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 11:41:54 AM »
I think Bennett and Montgomery play huge roles tonight in the passing game.  Could be a memorable night for Montgomery.

Bennett could play a huge role without a lot of catches. If he can keep a safety in the middle Rodgers can expose their CB's outside. They have very athletic linebackers who can cover so Bennett may well be most valuable as a decoy and a guy who is destroying their smallish linebackers in the run game.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be fine if he goes over 100 with 2 TD's too.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline DWhitehurst

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 01:53:39 PM »
I optimistically :) think the Packers will make it a competitive, close game unlike last year's NFC Championship. But if I had to bet money on it, I'd have to pick Atlanta by a 3 point spread. Nevertheless, I think if the Packers are relatively healthy come playoff time, they will beat them in a rematch in the playoffs. I just think units like the OLine and Secondary need more time to gel and I'm confident they will (!) throughout the season. Is this pessimistic, realistic, or optimistic? Depends on whom you ask I suppose....
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 01:56:03 PM by DWhitehurst »

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 02:03:33 PM »
I'll be interested to see how the defense plays.  Lots of hype coming off last week.  The question is how much has the personnel improved.  We added House?  Not sure thats enough, but we'll see.  Need to generate some pass rush.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2017, 03:24:22 PM »
There will be several early "tells" to look for, IMO. On defense do the Packers get a pass rush with four? When a receiver catches a ball, is he tackled or punished? Are the RB's gang tackled early and wrapped up efficiently?  On offense, does AR have time to survey the field? Do the receivers get some separation early? Can the Packers establish a running game to keep the Falcons honest?

For some reason, I'm getting more nervous as the game approaches. At another stadium opener, with a team and fans who are going to be sky high. IF they are punched in the gut early, will they wilt, or will they rally? Again, will it be SB hangover, or will they want to prove last year was no fluke? Becaue as I've written repeatedly, I think it was a fluke. Which doesn't mean they can't win this game. But, to me, it means they're not serious SB contenders. Not for another five years or so. Then look out.

OK, on second thought, I think the Packers might lose this game, but I also think they're really sick of being bridesmaids and never the bride. I think this team isn't going to be satisfied with anything less than another SB win. They are a team with a mission. And smacking Atlanta around a bit at the opening of their new stadium would be a strong statement. They spoke loudly last weekend. Let's see if they can do it again. I'm getting goosebumps just writing this.

GOPACKGO[color]!!!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 03:36:33 PM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Toddfather

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2017, 04:33:06 PM »
Really going to watch the defense. Nervous about our O-line.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 04:33:52 PM by Toddfather »

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • Where are we?
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2017, 04:52:49 PM »
Today's captains will be WR Jordy Nelson (offense), LB Nick Perry (defense) and LB Joe Thomas (special teams).
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.