September 25, 2017, 03:42:51 PM

Author Topic: Studs and Duds, Week 1 vs Seahawks  (Read 1495 times)

Online B

• HOF Member
Studs and Duds, Week 1 vs Seahawks
« on: September 12, 2017, 11:00:41 PM »
Studs:

OLB Nick Perry played dominate ball on Sunday, in fact PFF scored him the highest performing Packer vs the Seahawks with an 89.8 overall grade, finishing the day with 1.5 sack, 1.5 Tackles for loss, 2 QB hits, and 3 QB hurries. Perhaps even more impressive was that he forced offensive coordinator Bevell to adjust his game plan and blocking scheme in the first series of the game and throughout with double teams and or chips from TE and RBs the rest of the game.

DT Mike Daniels (86.6 PFF score) played like an All Pro on Sunday, standing out like a man among boys on the interior, blowing up running plays in the backfield (7 solo tackles), terrorizing Wilson with 1.5 sacks and 3 QB hurries, and a HUGE forced fumble to set up the Packers first score early in the 2nd half.

Randall Cobb, for at least one week shut up the critics who declare him to be over-payed and under-performing since re-signing with the Packers. Aaron Rodgers has consistently dismissed this criticism of Randall, and on Sunday dealt Cobb 9 receptions for 85 yards (most at key moments). He also played with intense fire throughout even when he was not targeted.

Jordy Nelson, the Packers #1 receiver, out-performed Cobb in the eyes of PFF with an 81.8 overall grade, catching 7-of-8 targets for 79 yards, including a 32-yard touchdown that was nothing short of a thing of beauty. Four of Jordy's seven receptions resulted in a first down, and as stated above a fifth went for a TD.

Duds: (difficult to find this week)

Kick coverage on the opening kick-off that was saved by a big touchdown saving tackle by safety Kentrell Brice

Mike McCarthy helping Seattle with clock management by calling two timeouts setting up the opportunity to kick a FG right before the half.

Feel free to add or subtract your studs and duds to this thread
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Ron836

• Second String
Re: Studs and Duds, Week 1 vs Seahawks
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 05:10:29 AM »
Great information B. I like the part about Bevell had to adjust his game plan for Perry. Thanks for that. Perry did start off the game with a bang. I remember the one poster a few years back, wanted to cut Perry for *I believe* some rookie free agent.

Online cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 07:01:17 AM »
I remember some poster saying we needed to ditch the 2 gap scheme so Daniels (and Raji at the time) could make plays in the backfield.

I also remember some poster saying that Perry was about to break out and that we should dump Peppers so we could make sure he was re-signed. 

Neither were popular opinions because neither player had broken out yet. 
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 07:26:18 AM »
For what it is worth:

I'm quite certain some will be surprised to learn that RG Jahri Evans, was the highest graded offensive lineman for the Packers in the opener vs Seattle with a PFF 79.1 overall grade
-Vince Lombardi

Online Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 09:11:41 AM »
For what it is worth:

I'm quite certain some will be surprised to learn that RG Jahri Evans, was the highest graded offensive lineman for the Packers in the opener vs Seattle with a PFF 79.1 overall grade

That is pretty shocking. I thought Bak and Taylor played better. Linsley botched that one snap though. I would have guessed Evans was rated third or fourth, but then again I am definitely no expert.

Offline IBV

• Second String
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 10:09:04 AM »
I'll throw this in , it looks like Teddy finally found a Punter !!

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 10:55:05 AM »
For what it is worth:

That is pretty shocking. I thought Bak and Taylor played better. Linsley botched that one snap though. I would have guessed Evans was rated third or fourth, but then again I am definitely no expert.

I was surprised as well. I always take PFF ratings with a grain of salt, but they do make a serious attempt at objective grading and evaluation.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 02:13:45 PM »
It's funny how PFF is so aggressively trashed as garbage when the game ratings are low but are used as proof of good performances when the rating are positive.

I don't really use them much anymore because they priced the average fan out of their services but they've been called every nasty name you can find on this sight when the ratings weren't high.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 02:14:59 PM by SSG »
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Online SDProfessor

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 02:19:27 PM »
It's funny how PFF is so aggressively trashed as garbage when the game ratings are low but are used as proof of good performances when the rating are positive.

I don't really use them much anymore because they priced the average fan out of their services but they've been called every nasty name you can find on this sight when the ratings weren't high.

Compared to baseball, the NFL is way behind in finding innovative ways of quantifying/qualifying player performance. PFF is flawed, but it's the best we have IMO. Only alternative is "anonymous scout".

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 03:26:13 PM »

Thus the for what it's worth and taken with a grain of salt comments SSG
-Vince Lombardi

Online Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 03:45:00 PM »
I have watched the game about 5 times already, and am getting ready to watch it again now that the all 22 view is out.

One time I spent the offensive snaps just watching Jahri Evans.  I thought he played well.

That was a tough defensive front for Seattle, and each and every one of the linemen made mistakes at times.  I think the conclusion that Evans was a weak link hasn't been supported when I have watched specifically his play.

With regards to SSG's comment, he is right- we all use a lot of confirmation bias in these discussions- we ignore the stuff that doesn't agree with our point of view, and accept the stuff that does.  The use of PFF data is no different.  The board is a good example of the Dunning Kruger effect, and confirmation bias is a big part of that.  We all do it.

I don't like PFF, and I don't choose to use it.  I just watch the games myself and make my own evaluation, because as pointed out, like everybody else I think I am much better at these evaluations than I am. ;D

« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 03:50:51 PM by Twain »
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Online Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 03:48:08 PM »
I'll throw this in , it looks like Teddy finally found a Punter !!

Amen to that!

Offline Shanedorf

• All Pro
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 04:16:40 PM »
One time I spent the offensive snaps just watching Jahri Evans.  I thought he played well.
That was a tough defensive front for Seattle, and each and every one of the linemen made mistakes at times.  I think the conclusion that Evans was a weak link hasn't been supported when I have watched specifically his play.

... like everybody else I think I am much better at these evaluations than I am.

Good stuff Twain and thanks for sharing your re-view of the game. Evans was in a really tough spot- both because of the defense they faced and because he had to acclimate to Murphy after investing precious time getting in sync with Bulaga.

We all suffer from our love of our own opinions, its just human nature.
But when ya back it up with film study, I'm happy to give your opinions additional credibility... thumbsup)

Online cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 04:41:09 PM »

Last year Geoff Schwartz had a podcast where he discussed the limitations of PFF and grading OL in particular.  Essentially, he said that if you don't know the assignments on a particular play, there is no way that you can accurately grade an OL.  I can't find the link back, but there is this:
@geoffschwartz
Please don't use PFF grades when we discuss OL play.

Also, I find it mind boggling that PFF can come out with grades 1-2 hours after a game is completed when they don't even have access to the coaches' tape at that point. 

I like the concept, and I'm sure they are doing what they can to improve their grading, but I'm going to trust my eyes before I trust a score. 

In the case of Evans - we all saw the same thing.  He struggled at times both in pass protection and in the running game.  When we had Lang and Sitton, Rodgers had room to step up in the pocket if need be.  He was awarded no such room with Evans at OG.  The screen game is largely limited to the left side because Evans just can't get out there to make a lead block.  As a result, the playbook is limited. 

Now, it is possible that Evans will perform the tasks that he is capable of very well.  He could stay in front of his guy the entire game and he could score high on PFF's grading scale.  We need to treat that with some hesitation, though, because the coaches know his limitations and obviously aren't going to let those limitations expose the offense to setbacks.  Another example... Seattle isn't going to ask Jimmy Graham to block the entire game because he CLEARLY can't.  He would be rated as one of the worst TE's in the game if this were the case.  Instead, they are going to split him out more often than not (putting him in a position to maximize his talent) where he might have some really high PFF grades because he can impact the game vertically.  Again - we can't assign a value to a player based off of that PFF score simply because there could be a completely different facet of the game where that player struggles immensely and he just isn't put in that situation often enough to get "dinged" by PFF. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 04:51:30 PM by cheech »
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Online Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 04:41:46 PM »
We all suffer from our love of our own opinions, its just human nature.

Then I must not be human cause I hate my own opinion....primarily because its right all the time!
You have any idea how hard it is being right all the time? Its quite a burden to bear  :)