September 24, 2017, 11:33:41 PM

Author Topic: Packers promote OL Adam Pankey to 53-man roster  (Read 1190 times)

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
Packers promote OL Adam Pankey to 53-man roster
« on: September 13, 2017, 09:40:14 AM »
There's your roster move to coincide with the RJF release. Gives us 10 OL on the 53 -- AKA a lot. Either Spriggs' injury is worse than expected or another team was trying to poach Pankey and they wanted to keep him. Or maybe a trade is coming? 🤔

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Packers promote OL Adam Pankey to 53-man roster
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 09:54:21 AM »
Seemed like that was what was coming. Bulaga and Spriggs both dinged up, only 2 healthy OT's heading into this weeks game. Signed as an insurance policy for a few weeks or until week 6 when Biegel can come off the PUP. By that time hopefully the OT's are at full strength.   

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 10:38:33 AM »
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/09/13/packers-promote-adam-pankey-boost-depth-offensive-line/661434001/

If a team is concerned that other teams are interested in a player on their practice squad typically they give him a pay raise commiserate to what he would receive if he were on the active roster, which is quite a big increase.  Most of the time a player will stay with the current team because they know the system, coaches etc.

I could be wrong but I don't think that a team can claim a player off of the practice squad like they could if he were on waivers.  If I recall the Bears tried to claim a player off of the Packers squad a few years ago but he decided to stay with the Pack.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 11:04:51 AM »
Add another OL body.....

Zach Kruse‏Verified account @zachkruse2 18s18 seconds ago
Packers announce they have signed G Darrell Greene to the practice squad to replace Adam Pankey, who was promoted to the active roster.

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 11:40:31 AM »
Add another OL body.....

Packers announce they have signed G Darrell Greene to the practice squad to replace Adam Pankey, who was promoted to the active roster.

I love it, and would not be surprised to see him eventually moved up and Pankey moved back to the practice squad.

The Philadelphia Eagles, who have a great offensive line, signed undrafted rookie free agent guard Darrell Greene shortly after the 2016 NFL Draft gaving him the most guaranteed money of any UDFA in the league that season ($105,000).

"Greene a true 6'3" 321, who started 32 games at San Diego State, has NFL speed and strength to go with great technique and motor. Darrell excelled at run blocking as an aggressive and powerful player that has tremendous timing at the point of attack.

The main reason he went un-drafted (projected to go in the 5th or early 6th round) was a suspension due to testing positive for pot and his short arms (31 5/8"). The challenge for Greene will be to use his superior balance, power, and technique be to override his length deficiencies in the NFL like he did in college.

A West Coast area scout wrote: "He got clipped by the NCAA for the weed, but he's not considered a bad kid in that building at all. They go to bat for him over there."

The bottom line assessment after the combine was:
"Stocky, prototypical right guard with the power to unclog running lanes and help a rushing attack looking to dominate with the physical over the finesse. Greene lacks the length NFL teams usually look for but his tremendous power could be an off­set. His NCAA suspension for drugs will be heavily vetted before teams decide to pull the trigger on Greene, but the power and NFL ability is there."

Let's see what Campen and Blasko can do with him.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 11:43:42 AM by B »
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 11:43:40 AM »
Yeah B, this Greene kid sounds really intriguing. Could be a great developmental prospect.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 11:50:57 AM »
Add another OL body.....

I love it, and would not be surprised to see him eventually moved up and Pankey moved back to the practice squad.

The Philadelphia Eagles, who have a great offensive line, signed undrafted rookie free agent guard Darrell Greene shortly after the 2016 NFL Draft gaving him the most guaranteed money of any UDFA in the league that season ($105,000).

"Greene a true 6'3" 321, who started 32 games at San Diego State, has NFL speed and strength to go with great technique and motor. Darrell excelled at run blocking as an aggressive and powerful player that has tremendous timing at the point of attack.

The main reason he went un-drafted (projected to go in the 5th or early 6th round) was a suspension due to testing positive for pot and his short arms (31 5/8"). The challenge for Greene will be to use his superior balance, power, and technique be to override his length deficiencies in the NFL like he did in college.

A West Coast area scout wrote: "He got clipped by the NCAA for the weed, but he's not considered a bad kid in that building at all. They go to bat for him over there."

The bottom line assessment after the combine was:
"Stocky, prototypical right guard with the power to unclog running lanes and help a rushing attack looking to dominate with the physical over the finesse. Greene lacks the length NFL teams usually look for but his tremendous power could be an off­set. His NCAA suspension for drugs will be heavily vetted before teams decide to pull the trigger on Greene, but the power and NFL ability is there."

Let's see what Campen and Blasko can do with him.

Good job B, I was going to post a link to that same info.

Disagree about him replacing Pankey though, Greene is strictly an inside guy and Pankey was promoted to backup at tackle. Green is alot like McCray, in my eyes anyways, he is more of a power interior guy.

This is another link if people want a little more info on him.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2016/5/31/11817840/eagles-rookie-darrell-greene-san-diego-state-offensive-guard-scouting-profile-nfl-blocker

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 11:52:53 AM »
Yeah B, this Greene kid sounds really intriguing. Could be a great developmental prospect.

Exactly Lodestar, he's 24 yrs old (DOB 10/29/92) plenty of developmental upside.

Good job B, I was going to post a link to that same info.

Disagree about him replacing Pankey though, Greene is strictly an inside guy and Pankey was promoted to backup at tackle. Green is alot like McCray, in my eyes anyways, he is more of a power interior guy.

This is another link if people want a little more info on him.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2016/5/31/11817840/eagles-rookie-darrell-greene-san-diego-state-offensive-guard-scouting-profile-nfl-blocker

RT, I agree for the short run, Pankey fills a need while Bulaga and Spriggs are gimpy, but (knock on wood) after they are healthy the need for an inside prospect in probably more important.

On the other hand, it is a long season and injuries will have a great deal to do with roster moves moving forward.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 11:58:03 AM by B »
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 11:55:52 AM »
PFF consistently had him in the 70s this preseason, highest average of any Eagles guard I believe.

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 11:59:52 AM »
PFF consistently had him in the 70s this preseason, highest average of any Eagles guard I believe.

Thanks for the additional information, Lodestar

At worst he is worth a look/see on the practice squad
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 12:06:00 PM by B »
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 12:12:19 PM »
Hey wait a minute....dont I get any love? I'm the one that posted the info to begin with!
Just because others went out to find supporting data - characterized and contextualized it - well, you wouldnt have known to do that w/o me eh? LOL!  :)

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 12:15:37 PM »
Hey wait a minute....dont I get any love? I'm the one that posted the info to begin with!
Just because others went out to find supporting data - characterized and contextualized it - well, you wouldnt have known to do that w/o me eh? LOL!  :)

All praise to our faithful Leader  ;)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 12:16:34 PM by B »
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 12:17:13 PM »
:)

Offline SDProfessor

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 12:42:02 PM »
Have no problem with the Greene addition at all. My only question is if he's so good, how could an NFL team not stash him on their 53? Eagles have a decent OL? Ok. Why not then stash him on their PS?

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 02:19:01 PM »
Have no problem with the Greene addition at all. My only question is if he's so good, how could an NFL team not stash him on their 53? Eagles have a decent OL? Ok. Why not then stash him on their PS?

Not sure how Eagles roster is constructed, but it could just be a numbers game.

Eagles may need PS players at other positions rather than interior OL.