November 22, 2017, 10:15:56 AM

Author Topic: Running Backs in 2017  (Read 19646 times)

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
Re: Running Backs in 2017
« Reply #240 on: July 19, 2017, 09:59:01 AM »
Only question I have concerning the RBs is if they keep one FB? If Rip gets hurt, do they have to keep another FB as a back-up?
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #241 on: July 19, 2017, 12:08:17 PM »
Only question I have concerning the RBs is if they keep one FB? If Rip gets hurt, do they have to keep another FB as a back-up?

I have a feeling that will come down to the last couple of roster spots. Kerridge did a good job on ST when he was active last year, but the TE's are interchangeable with the FB's on most things (rush attempts aside). Rodgers and Kendricks both have some history of lining up in the backfield, that could be a strike against Kerridge.

Offline Shanedorf

• All Pro
« Reply #242 on: July 19, 2017, 12:20:50 PM »
Kendricks is a 'move" type TE, and as noted by RT he can cover some of the FB responsibilities.
TE coach Brian Angelichio talked about this during a recent camp interview

I think one camp battle is TE Beau Sandland vs FB Joe Kerridge -  if they want to keep a total of 5 TE/FBs as in years past
The advantage Sandland has over Kerridge is he's a long-levered player at 6'5, while Kerridge is a sawed off stump at 6'0

MM commented on this during the OTA's and he wants the longer body types wherever possible. Its also possible that GB keeps (4) RB's with Devante Mays at 230 lbs assuming some of the role that Kerridge provided. Rip has become very good as pass pro, so that's another consideration for whoever backs him up

TE 4 vs RB 4 vs FB 2 for the last spots on the 53, and STs are often The Decider

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #243 on: July 19, 2017, 12:24:28 PM »
Kendricks is a 'move" type TE, and as noted by RT he can cover some of the FB responsibilities.
TE coach Brian Angelichio talked about this during a recent camp interview

I think one camp battle is TE Beau Sandland vs FB Joe Kerridge -  if they want to keep a total of 5 TE/FBs as in years past
The advantage Sandland has over Kerridge is he's a long-levered player at 6'5, while Kerridge is a sawed off stump at 6'0

MM commented on this during the OTA's and he wants the longer body types wherever possible. Its also possible that GB keeps (4) RB's with Devante Mays at 230 lbs assuming some of the role that Kerridge provided. Rip has become very good as pass pro, so that's another consideration for whoever backs him up

TE 4 vs RB 4 vs FB 2 for the last spots on the 53, and STs are often The Decider
Nailed it, Good post!  thumbsup)

Offline Shanedorf

• All Pro
« Reply #244 on: July 19, 2017, 12:42:10 PM »
thank-you kind sir   :)

And one of these RBs might be a candidate for Kick Return duties.
Rookie RB Aaron Jones has some experience in that arena

Offline cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #245 on: July 19, 2017, 02:12:50 PM »
http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/17/devante-mays-has-highest-upside-of-packers-rookie-rbs/

I haven't gone back through the 10 pages of arguing about cover 2 to see if anyone posted thia yet, but I have been doing some reading on these rookie backs.  Mays sounds a bit like Lacy in his size and love of contact.
  Now, Lacy's feet put him on a different level for big backs, but Mays sounds like a guy to watch when the pads start popping.
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #246 on: July 19, 2017, 04:51:39 PM »
In addition to Shane's good analysis, there's also practice squad.  Not that much competition for fullback candidates.  So if you've got a guy you want to keep just as Ripkowsky injury-insurance, you could easily just park him on the practice squad, and call him up only if Rip actually does get hurt. 

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #247 on: July 21, 2017, 09:08:28 AM »
Sounds like MM wants to use Kendrick as an H-back which will limit the roster to 1 FB who will be Rip.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #248 on: July 23, 2017, 10:03:57 AM »
Sounds like MM wants to use Kendrick as an H-back which will limit the roster to 1 FB who will be Rip.
It would seem Kerridge would be an easy guy to get to the PS, since about half the teams don't use a FB at all. Would be a nice insurance policy to have sitting their when an injury does occur.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #249 on: July 25, 2017, 08:52:30 PM »
http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/07/24/ladainian-tomlinson-predicts-a-monster-year-for-packers-rb-ty-montgomery/

“Montgomery’s still learning the position, but he proved that he’s fully capable of handling the run game a year ago,” Tomlinson wrote for NFL.com. “Aaron Rodgers loves that No. 88 can catch the ball — expect him to be very involved in the Packers’ offensive plans. He’s a matchup problem out of the backfield for linebackers and safeties. He’s going to have a huge season.”

Tomlinson’s stat prediction for Montgomery this season? At least 1,500 total yards (including 1,000 yards rushing) and 15 total touchdowns.

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #250 on: July 25, 2017, 09:12:28 PM »
http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/07/24/ladainian-tomlinson-predicts-a-monster-year-for-packers-rb-ty-montgomery/

“Montgomery’s still learning the position, but he proved that he’s fully capable of handling the run game a year ago,” Tomlinson wrote for NFL.com. “Aaron Rodgers loves that No. 88 can catch the ball — expect him to be very involved in the Packers’ offensive plans. He’s a matchup problem out of the backfield for linebackers and safeties. He’s going to have a huge season.”

Tomlinson’s stat prediction for Montgomery this season? At least 1,500 total yards (including 1,000 yards rushing) and 15 total touchdowns.
Could this be the next Marshall Faulk? Oh I hear the hype train a comin' and it's tootin' NFL MVP!

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #251 on: July 25, 2017, 11:09:48 PM »
I like Tomlinson's thinking. 

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #252 on: July 26, 2017, 02:15:00 PM »
A nice look at Ty Montgomery, we may have only seen the tip of the iceberg with him.

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/07/26/packers-rb-ty-montgomery-arrives-at-training-camp-at-almost-223-pounds/

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #253 on: July 31, 2017, 09:24:25 AM »
Montgomery had better learn how to pick up the blitz, or Tomlinson's predictions about his production will be all wrong.

Meanwhile the hype about a RB is on James Conner who had a great day filling in for Bell.

I always liked this kid, not just because he is from my hometown either.  Although he was big, he had maneuverability. Plus, he had what they call football speed. Meaning eh could accelerate quickly.

We'll see if TT made the right choice in quantity over college quality. Personally I like Jones since he fills a hole we did not really have, that of a scatback.

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #254 on: July 31, 2017, 05:36:20 PM »
Read that about James Conner, sound like he is off to a good start for the Steelers. We will probably never know, but it would be interesting to find out if he was a 4th round option for the Packers.