October 25, 2014, 09:52:43 PM

Author Topic: Scott Tolzien signed by Packers  (Read 2649 times)

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
Scott Tolzien signed by Packers
« on: September 01, 2013, 08:39:35 PM »
Caught this on PFT. With the 49ers the last two years, likely to run the 49er offensein practice this week. Long term, who knows?
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Yuletide

• HOF Member
Re: Scott Tolzien signed by Packers
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 09:36:33 PM »
heh. I heard this predicted on some radio show.  That the Packers would sign an ex-49ers QB.

I guess it might help.  But I also guess that Harbaugh would have anticipated this.
It's what it's.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 09:40:10 PM »
That crap is so overrated. I see no advantage if that is the motive.
"You can lead an illiterate to a book but you can't make them read or comprehend it"

Offline Yuletide

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 09:44:48 PM »

I don't think it would be overrated to know the offensive gameplan Harbaugh really intends to use.  Just as I don't think it would have been overrated to know it in last season's playoff game.
It's what it's.

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 10:31:51 PM »

I don't think it would be overrated to know the offensive gameplan Harbaugh really intends to use.  Just as I don't think it would have been overrated to know it in last season's playoff game.

49ers will begin installing the gameplan for the Packers this week...  Tolzien may have a little to offer, but nothing big IMO and nothing regarding the gameplan for the Packers Sept 8th... unless you think they will use the same gameplan as playoff game, but we do not need to pick up Tolzien to know that gameplan, Packers lived it and got destroyed defensively by it.  All they have to do is watch the tape. 

I am in agreement with Golfman on this.

Online big ror

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 01:01:14 AM »
While the 49ers might not install the actual game plan until this week, there are still little tendencies from both the offense and defense that he could illuminate for the Packers' staff.  In particular, he could speak to newly installed packages and some of the unscouted looks they intend to reveal, whether against the Packers or other opponents early in the season.

Just look at how the Packers have intermittently game planned for the season:  they've allotted a good amount of time to preparing for the read option, and they've spent time installing packages that the beat writers are asked not to discuss with the public.  I realize that the former is to be expected, especially given the QBs they face the first two weeks of the season, but the latter is the type of intel that Tolzien would be privy to and be able to share.  Now, how helpful that information is overall is debatable.  Moreover, it could be detrimental in that it results in them spending time preparing for looks that never materialize, thus devoting less time to understanding better looks that do.  Who knows.  I mean, look at how much McCarthy lamented the loss of Harris.  It was clear that he had installed some packages specifically for him, and I'd have to imagine Coleman and Young would know about that in the same way Tolzien would know about some of the packages the 49ers have implemented, no?

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle:  Tolzien can probably be helpful in some capacity but perhaps not too helpful.  More importantly, though, that added information means nothing if the Packers cannot execute effectively and consistently the plays called on the field.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 01:03:47 AM by big ror »
"No timeline, no exact diagnosis."

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 06:55:10 AM »
Not sure I believe a young QB can articulate those concepts accurately to the coaching staff. I just don't put much stock into it.
"You can lead an illiterate to a book but you can't make them read or comprehend it"

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 08:00:14 AM »
I don't think we signed Scott because of what insight he can bring about the 49ers.  MM always likes to have a young QB he can mold so maybe they see things in Tolzien they find intriguing.  One thing about this signing tells me is we probably aren't going to sign a vet FA QB then cut Coleman and have 2 QBs on the PS.  We survived having Harrell back up Rodgers last year and I think Colemen is better than GH.

Online claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 08:41:46 AM »

I think there's more to it than practicing the 49ers offense. We all know what the 49ers like to do: They use motion to help diagnose coverages, and they like to run the ball. Stopping the run is how you beat them. I think the read option will be decent but not as effective as it was last year throughout the league. I think Harbaugh and his staff know that and will use a lot of PA and become more pro-style this year. Kaepernick has a great arm so you better use it. If GB can get them in 3rd and long I think they win this game.

Offline Waynorth

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 11:46:45 AM »

Tolzien played well for Wisconsin and I believe he could play in a West Coast system, but you won't have to play 2 deep safeties with him, he isn't very effective downfield.  He loses accuracy on long throws. Maybe he has developed on that ability in the last 3 years.
"Knowledge does not enter your brain through an open mouth."

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 11:48:29 AM »
I don't think he'll be on our practice squad long. As the previous poster noted, weak arm and that won't fly. I also don't think Coleman will be back.

Offline BartyorBarrySmith

• Second String
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 01:04:33 PM »
I don't think he'll be on our practice squad long. As the previous poster noted, weak arm and that won't fly. I also don't think Coleman will be back.

Not convinced of your logic. What options would they have for the rest of the year? Unless they are willing to put a veteran on the roster, I think Tolzien would stay.  If there were QBs they liked better they would have snatched them now.  Packers logic seems to be:
- don't want 3 QBs on the roster
- want the QB on practice squad who is most able to produce if needed (as opposed to a big armed QB who could develop)

Tolzien seems to fit that bill.  That could change if Wallace or Rodgers get hurt, but short of that -- don't see the inventory of QBs that would replace Tolzien on the practice squad.

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 02:29:51 PM »
Here's my take on this backup QB stuff:
AR simply wont get hurt. Thats all. So there.
Who cares which chump change is holding the clipboard?
Life is so much more enjoyable when kept simple  :)

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 02:54:49 PM »
Here's my take on this backup QB stuff:
AR simply wont get hurt. Thats all. So there.
Who cares which chump change is holding the clipboard?
Life is so much more enjoyable when kept simple  :)

Awesome... I like it.  Lets keep it simple   ;D

Online Shanedorf

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 09:34:31 PM »
Of course it helps the Packers...

Think of it this way. If they offered the chance for McCarthy to sit in on SF offensive meetings for 2 years, he'd take it !

Teams go to great lengths to keep stuff under wraps and by having a player available to answer questions offers a tremendous amount of insight

During film study, he can sit with Capers and tell him- " when you guys did X, we did Y.  If we saw this, we did that
We keyed on this player/formation. We attacked this player"

Give a listen to Trent Dilfer who said that not only did his insight help the 9ers beat the Seahawks twice, Holmgren still isn't talking to him all these years later because he was so upset at what Trent shared

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/09/03/dilfer-ex-49ers-qb-tolzien-could-give-packers-assist/

Tolzien doesn't know the specific game plan this week, but after hundreds of meetings and strategy sessions, the info he can share is invaluable