July 23, 2014, 05:10:26 PM

Author Topic: Finally coming to see the Pack! Need some advice  (Read 881 times)

Offline The Packman

• Rookie
Finally coming to see the Pack! Need some advice
« on: October 17, 2013, 04:19:22 AM »
What's up fellow cheese heads. After many years of waiting I'm finally making the long trip to Green Bay (from Toronto) to see my beloved Packers. The wife surprised me with an early b day present and I am jacked to say the least. Before I bore you guys to tears any futher with my story I was wondering if any of you guys had any advice for a first timer. I'm planning to hit up the stadium tour, HOF and Curley's. Anything else I should know or be aware about. Thx in advance. GO PACK
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 04:22:51 AM by The Packman »

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
Re: Finally coming to see the Pack! Need some advice
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 09:17:27 AM »
Hello there and congrats!

Some questions for you...
- Which game are you going to?
- How soon before game do you arrive?
- How long will you stay?
- Coming with family and children or alone?
- Are you taking car or flying there?

Comments>
- Find hotel early... Packers home game weekends hotels fill up fast.  If you do not have one already, you may be staying in Appleton, Oshkosh or Manitowoc already if game is approaching.  Packers opponents always stay at Radison Hotel in Downtown Appleton.
         - Appleton - 75,000 people, about 30 minutes from Green Bay on Highway 41, great Mall if your wife is coming along for shopping (Fox River Mall).  Also has Children's Museum in downtown if bringing small kids (ages 2 to 8 maybe).
         - Oshkosh - 60,000 people, about 1 hour from Green Bay south of Appleton also on Highway 41
         - Manitowoc - 60,000 people about 45 minutes from Green Bay on I-45 - they have submarine you can tour from WWII

Gameday comments>
 - dress appropriate for game... if going to cold weather game make sure you dress warm and in layers.  Seeing you are from Toronto I assume you know how to do this. 
 - If want full gameday experience and taking car... maybe tailgate before the game.  Drive to stadium early and park car in Lambeau Field parking lot..  can make sandwhiches, chips and take something to drink to keep it simple... the hardcore Packers tailgaters will have their grills going.  This is great way to talk with other Packers fans... especially if you have sign or tell people this is your first Packers game at Lambeau everyone will want to talk to you.
 - If do not want to tailgate... hit some of the bars around stadium prior to game... I like Stadium View, you can walk up to stadium prior to game and will pass their TC field and the Don Hutson center to get to stadium.  Note I have not lived in Green Bay since 2006, but I know Stadium View is still there... did not get back to Fox Valley this year, but was back last year and it was still there.

Things to do related to Packers in Green Bay
 - Packers HOF - a must
 - Stadium Tour - very good... you go into luxury box to view the stadium, then take elevator to basement and enter tunnel Packers use to enter field and then you can stand next to the field (but not go on it).
 - Curly's Pub - restaurant inside the field... food is OK, it is more to say you ate at Lambeau.  I ate there several times for work because our corporate office always took out of town guests there to eat.
 - Packers Gift Shop - if you want to get some Packers merchandise that may be a bit different or looking for some books on Packers check it out.  It is also at Lambeau Field...  at corner of stadium at Lombardi Ave. and Oneida St.
 - If want to look for some books on Packers... there was a Barnes and Noble in Green Bay that had several good books on Packers and some of their history.  It is on Oneida St. across from the Mall in Green Bay.
 - Mall in Green Bay and Kohls, Target etc... all have lots of Packers clothes if want to look... also the Mall in Appleton I mentioned above as well.  The Fox River Mall is considered the best mall in Wisconsin north of Milwaukee.
 - Heritage Trail - can tour (by yourself) some of the landmark buildings of Packers history.  They have some signs up around town that mark some of the prominent buildings related to Packers history.  I saw a couple when I lived in Green Bay for a while... only one I made sure to see was Old City Stadium where Packers played before Lambeau Field.  It is now the high school football field for Green Bay East High School.  They have big sign up for it... cannot miss it if you look for it.

Other things to do in Green Bay if staying there longer>
 - NEW Zoo north of Green Bay... unsure of their hours in fall.  Great place to visit with kids (and probably better in summer when I went with my son)
 - Bay Beach wildlife refuge - probably great time to go with birds flying south if going to game in October / early November.  If you enjoy wildlife, another place to bring kids.  You can feed thousands of ducks, geese and even some sandhill cranes showed a few times I went.
 - Railroad Museum - if you like trains
 - Heritage Hill - if you want to learn a bit about Green Bay early history.. have pioneer homes/buildings of early Green Bay history
 - Door County - this is hour north of Green Bay...  big tourist attraction in summer and early fall with changing colors... unsure about late October/Nov.  Lots of craft stores and outdoor activities.

Hope this helps.

Offline The Packman

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 04:25:39 PM »
Wow! Was expecting back some info but nothing like that. Thx for a great reply. We are coming to the ATL game Dec 8 and driving there. Leaving the kids at home although they have been begging to come. I will definitely try to get in as many of your suggesting as possible. Wife knows this is purely a football trip so everything we do will be Packer related ; ) Again thank you very much for your response it is very helpful. GO PACK. And oh yeah we will absolutely be tail gaiting!

Online claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 07:45:20 PM »
I vote to sticky this thread or at least Hincha's entire post. Very good information to have on hand.
You can call me Mr. Sarcastic.

Offline jthiel86

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 02:46:07 AM »
I vote to sticky this thread or at least Hincha's entire post. Very good information to have on hand.

Second.
If you're gonna be dumb, you've gotta be tough.

Offline LMGAdmin

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • PackerChatters.com
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 11:31:39 AM »
We actually put up a special page with Hincha's information on the PC Home Page.

Added some things including links.

Thanks Hincha and email me if you would like us to add anything more...maybe a short bio?
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 01:28:37 PM »
Probably can have others add to it, I have not lived in Green Bay since 2006 and been almost decade since been to Lambeau Field for game.

I just like to hear when people are going to their first game at Lambeau and hope they can enjoy it fully.

Online flowerpac

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 07:35:36 PM »
I don't think they give tours on game day.  Would advise take two or three days.  Mike McCarthys show is taped on Monday.  You would need tickets but they are free.  I t takes 1-2 hours to go through the Hall of Fame, if you want to read everything.  Gameday it is usually packed.  Also most of the motels in the area around Lambeau  book the rooms for two nights or more and they are usually reserved full many games ahead of game day you might go to.  I think there are other tv shows like "In the Huddle"  and others that are in a few bars on Monday.  Gates to the stadium open 2 hours before the game and you can watch each team practice.  Food and beverages are expensive inside Lambeau.  A small  12 oz bottle of diet coke is$5.00.  A footlong brat with chips and a diet coke is $25.00.  If your in the club section.  There are many options for different foods.  Many are elite sandwiches and things like Prime Rib.  A full bar for mixed drinks.  We would always get a mixed drink and go out on the balcony and look at all tailgaters and see the Don Hudson Center and surrounding area.  Quite impressive.  The Pro shop is expensive.  There is an athletic Pro shop near the Stadium View Bar.  Brett Farve's Steakhouse is very formal and expensive.  Something you wouldn't catch Brett Farve in.  There are many bars and restuarants that set up tents before the game and serve reasonably priced brats and hamburgers, etc.   My brother and I usually take 5-6 days during traing camp and take in watching the practices and take in all the other things before the game.  I was told that if you are not a season ticket holder you can't park in Lambeau field.  I could be wrong.  There are other parking area near the stadium .  They cost $20.00.  Hope some of this helps.  The people that work at Lambeau field go out of their way to make it a great experience.  It is truly one the great sporting events to go to in your lifetime.  All the fans are really nice, unlike other fans from other teams.  We were sitting next to acouple from Buffalo N.Y. during the Preseason Bills game a couple of years ago and they were amazed at how nice the fans were to them.  They said when they go to home Bills game, there is more fights and  action in the stands then on the field.  Ther is a lot of walking.  Have a great time.