December 18, 2017, 02:53:13 AM

Author Topic: Evan Dietrich-Smith  (Read 18551 times)

Offline marklawrence

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
Re: Evan Dietrich-Smith
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 12:50:49 AM »
New York newspaper says EDS is going to be a Giant.
They say you judge a man by his enemies. Well, I'm Deplorable! And Proud of it!

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 05:37:11 AM »
I heard they had strong interest in him as a replacement to Baas

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 07:17:18 AM »
Tells you how much we thought of him or perhaps we feel the replacement is on the roster in Tretter or Lang. Possibly with Barclay moving inside.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 08:45:03 AM »
Wow, I'm still kinda shocked.  All along I've figured it was a given that the Packers would try to sign him, and that he'd agree to a modest contract.  So, very interesting.  Not all media reports are true, of course, and I doubt national reporters are spending all their time on EDS.  So we'll see.  I still think the odds are pretty good that we do end up signing him, as with Hawk and Clifton. 

Tells you how much we thought of him or perhaps we feel the replacement is on the roster in Tretter or Lang. Possibly with Barclay moving inside.

I'm inferring you think this would say the Packers don't value him much.  If he gets a $7/2 deal with Giants, then it does mean the Packers don't view him as a $7/2 or a $4-per-year guy.  But evaluating him as less than a $7/2 or a $4-per-year guy isn't really saying they don't like him, or that any old Barclay or Tretter can replace him or improve the actual team. 

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 08:54:57 AM »
It is kind of exciting to think that the Packers might let him go because they do think they have a prospect with higher potential in house.  If that's so, it's Tretter.  I don't think there is any intention of moving Lang over to replace EDS, and then using Barclay to replace Lang, and then using Bulage to replace Barclay.  Lang has invested a lot of time into become a capable guard.  I don't think it would make sense to weaken both center and guard by moving him over now, at this stage in his career.  Barclay wouldn't be a good guard; he'd still be somewhat smaller, weaker, and slower than a normal guard.

I think it would have to be Tretter, for better or for worse.  Hopefully for better.  EDS could be money well saved if they don't keep him, but he'd not have been exactly a budget-buster.  So I think if they're willing to let him go over a small dollar differential, I think that does suggest they are reasonably hopeful for Tretter.  We're due for a good D+D success story, and perhaps he'll be it.  He's supposed to be smart enough, so that's fun.  And whether he's stronger or not I don't know, but he seems like he could/should be a little bit bigger.  It would be pretty fun if out of nowhere, we actually had a good center right on the roster, and perhaps one who could further strengthen the run blocking without compromising the pass protection.  Will be interesting to see.  But yeah, whenever a guy with some limitations gets replaced by somebody else, it's always fun to dream that the new guy will be better.   

Offline Zyvlyn

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 11:37:58 AM »
I hope they're not letting EDS go because they have faith in Tretter.  He's essentially a 4th round rookie (spent all of last year on IR) who will be playing a new position.  It could work out, of course, but that's an awfully big risk to take considering it shouldn't take a whole lot of money to keep EDS.  Who will we have behind Tretter if he gets hurt again?  A draft pick?  Or is the line just going to do another round of the Green Bay Shuffle?

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 12:35:22 PM »
I hope they're not letting EDS go because they have faith in Tretter.  He's essentially a 4th round rookie (spent all of last year on IR) who will be playing a new position.

Not really...

If anything, Trotter is a redshirt rookie, big difference than a rookie... He was on the PUP list & got in 5 or 6 weeks of practice in at the end of the year and has already been introduced to center.

The Packers are in good shape on the OL with or without EDS... At OT they have Bak, Bulaga & Sherrod (Barclay at RT) competing and at C/RG they have Lang, Tretter & Barclay competing.

Offline Zyvlyn

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 01:26:54 PM »
After further review...  you are correct.  It was PUP, not IR.  My bad.

That plus the positive press he was getting at the end of last year in practice does make me feel a bit better about it.  Still seems like a big risk to take given that EDS is not likely to command much money.  But, then again, I'm not a GM.

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 01:34:50 PM »
There was no "bad" there, it's all good.

Unless you work for the Packers, it's pretty hard to remember everything going on. If I came cross like I was busting chops I'm sorry, that wasn't my intention. I just happened to remember Tretter was on the PUP list, so I posted it.

Like you mentioned, there is a lot of positive feedback about Tretter, that's part of my optimism for the current structure of the OL, with or without EDS.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2014, 03:39:10 PM »
There was no "bad" there, it's all good.

Unless you work for the Packers, it's pretty hard to remember everything going on. If I came cross like I was busting chops I'm sorry, that wasn't my intention. I just happened to remember Tretter was on the PUP list, so I posted it.

Like you mentioned, there is a lot of positive feedback about Tretter, that's part of my optimism for the current structure of the OL, with or without EDS.

I think you are correct.  If all else fails, I would think one could kick Lang to center and put Barclay at guard.  Barclay and Bulaga on the right and we should be ok.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 03:40:06 PM by Twain »
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2014, 04:05:36 PM »
Just saw this at NFL.com website   

Dietrich-Smith is set to visit the Buccaneers, Michelle Beisner reported.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2014, 04:26:57 PM »
...That plus the positive press he was getting at the end of last year in practice does make me feel a bit better about it.  Still seems like a big risk to take given that EDS is not likely to command much money.  But, then again, I'm not a GM.

I can't imagine the positive press based on practice can be very substantial.  They only had a couple of padded practices during the weeks when he was active.  So how much can a backup center have proven in 2 or 3 padded practices?  And if he wasn't proving himself in pads, how much can he have proven in un-padded practices?  I think it's got to be a pretty big risk. 

Who knows, maybe some of the center stuff doesn't require real practices.  Maybe they can do lots of classroom/film-room to test recognition?  And maybe shotgun snapping and getting from snap set to blocking position is something that they could practice and stop-watch using a couple of practice squad guys? I don't know.  But sure seems awfully risky to me. 

EDS isn't looking for a 1-year contract or a compete-for-the-job gig.  He's going to want a couple of years, and a situation where he's the man.  Perhaps he doesn't want to be here because Tretter seems too big a threat? 

Perhaps the Packers, while they can't be sure that Tretter will be better than EDS, think his chances are good enough that they don't want him blocked for two years? 

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2014, 04:32:30 PM »
Let's forget all the nonsense about he wants to be here or doesn't want to look over his shoulder. These guys can talk all they want. It's all about the money and who is going to pay them the most with the most guaranteed money. Plain and simple.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2014, 04:35:13 PM »
Which relates to years.  I'm wondering whether the Packers are interested in only a one-year deal, with other teams offering two? 

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2014, 05:12:47 PM »
Which relates to years.  I'm wondering whether the Packers are interested in only a one-year deal, with other teams offering two?

Not sure, but I hate going into the draft with another position to fill or moving someone into that slot. EDS did very well for us so I am hoping he stays.
Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. -V. Lombardi