December 15, 2017, 08:13:40 AM

Author Topic: Free Agency Works????  (Read 5132 times)

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Free Agency Works????
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 09:36:07 PM »
Better yet, look what FA did to Minnesota. They spent over a $100 million on 3 FA OL while spending $20Million plus on the defense while topping that all off with about 20 million to Brett Favre. What they ended up with was a big fat zip in the Super Bowl department while setting the team back years.

And lets not forget Philly's "dream team".
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 05:42:35 PM »
Better yet, look what FA did to Minnesota. They spent over a $100 million on 3 FA OL while spending $20Million plus on the defense while topping that all off with about 20 million to Brett Favre. What they ended up with was a big fat zip in the Super Bowl department while setting the team back years.

I'm not sure you can point to Free Agency as the reason why they don't have a Super Bowl.  This is a team that spent high draft picks on Christian Ponder and Tavris Jackson to be franchise QBs.  The single time they had a franchise QB in the last 15 years they got just as far as we did last year using the draft and develop philosophy. 

They weren't set back years for signing Free Agents they were set back years because they've missed on every single QB they've tried to draft.  It isn't like they've had the luxury of having hall of fame QBs for the last 20+ years. If Minnesota drafts Aaron Rodgers instead of Erasmus James they are likely celebrated for signing great players like Allen, Sharper, Hutchingson and Winfield as they likely have at least one Super Bowl.
Act your age, not your shoe size.

maxman44

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2015, 01:27:02 PM »
This market is crazy - Eagles, Bills, Jets, Jags - Wow

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 02:03:40 PM »
This market is crazy - Eagles, Bills, Jets, Jags - Wow

Good for them :)
Three AFC teams (two AFC East - finally - take that NE!)
And one NFC East team whose roster is gonna take awhile to figure out.
Perhaps it was a good thing Gore backed out of the Philly arrangement. Would have been interesting to see how he held up at such a pace.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2015, 02:15:56 PM »
It appears that Chip Kelly is definitely wanting to go another direction with the Eagles than any other team in the NFL. I see how he wants to get the best on both lines making his roster cap very low as long as he can get his difference makers at a cheap price.
I just don't think he can do it, but will be interesting to watch.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 07:54:50 PM »
From NFL.com ::

Best and worst value signings of free agency
Here are three GMs that received high grades in free agency thus far with their buying decisions, and three that could use some help.

FINANCIALLY SAVVY

1. Darrelle Revis, DB, New York Jets
2. Mike Iupati, G, Arizona Cardinals
3. Ryan Mathews, RB, Philadelphia Eagles:
Honorable mention: Bryan Bulaga, Andre Johnson, Shane Vereen

BLIND SPENDERS

1. Ndamukong Suh, DT, Miami Dolphins
2. Julius Thomas, TE, Jacksonville Jaguars
3. Dwayne Harris, KR/WR, New York Giants
Honorable mention: Jeremy Maclin, Torrey Smith, Pernell McPhee.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 07:55:29 PM by Leader »

Offline BIG LEGEND

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2015, 10:31:51 PM »
Signing your own guys is great, but Ted does not add that key piece or two on a consistent enough basis through free agency in my opinion. Cobb and Bulaga took anywhere from 1 - 2.5 million per year less by reupping with GB if you believe what has been reported - Thank You AR! Without this QB in play,  these guys walk. In reality TT offered contracts that were indeed below market value, and these guys stayed because of this teams signal caller. With A guy like AR around, I really believe you have to do whatever needs to be done on a YEARLY basis to try and achieve the ultimate goal, and thats not winning the division or making the playoffs. I am not trying to make a case for throwing all kinds of cash at these free agents, but this regime should be a bit more active in adding to this team through free agency, because its not like they dont ever have the means to do so. This is about being more than just playoff participant, it should be aboout trying to win the Super Bowl every year as long as they have AR under center, and I really believe Thompson concerns himself to much with how this team will look in 3 or 4 years instead of what do I have to do to give this team the best chance to win the Super Bowl this year. A perfect example for me is that as I am writing this, there are two very good D-tackles available that are clearly better than what the Packers have and although they wont be bargains, they won't break the bank either. Ted don't go wild, but you should be a bit more active than you are

Online Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2015, 10:15:55 AM »

Here are three GMs that received high grades in free agency thus far with their buying decisions, and three that could use some help.

FINANCIALLY SAVVY

BLIND SPENDERS

Does this not include Cobb because he was locked up just before FA started?

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2015, 10:18:26 AM »

FINANCIALLY SAVVY

BLIND SPENDERS

Does this not include Cobb because he was locked up just before FA started?

Could be...no clue.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2015, 06:25:18 PM »
Signing your own guys is great, but Ted does not add that key piece or two on a consistent enough basis through free agency in my opinion. Cobb and Bulaga took anywhere from 1 - 2.5 million per year less by reupping with GB if you believe what has been reported - Thank You AR! Without this QB in play,  these guys walk. In reality TT offered contracts that were indeed below market value, and these guys stayed because of this teams signal caller. With A guy like AR around, I really believe you have to do whatever needs to be done on a YEARLY basis to try and achieve the ultimate goal, and thats not winning the division or making the playoffs. I am not trying to make a case for throwing all kinds of cash at these free agents, but this regime should be a bit more active in adding to this team through free agency, because its not like they dont ever have the means to do so. This is about being more than just playoff participant, it should be aboout trying to win the Super Bowl every year as long as they have AR under center, and I really believe Thompson concerns himself to much with how this team will look in 3 or 4 years instead of what do I have to do to give this team the best chance to win the Super Bowl this year. A perfect example for me is that as I am writing this, there are two very good D-tackles available that are clearly better than what the Packers have and although they wont be bargains, they won't break the bank either. Ted don't go wild, but you should be a bit more active than you are

this has been a sentiment here for awhile
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."