October 20, 2017, 04:41:37 PM

Author Topic: Value shopping: Two FA targets  (Read 6565 times)

Offline philepps85

• All Pro
Value shopping: Two FA targets
« on: March 04, 2015, 01:32:52 PM »
Offensively, at least, two guys really jump out to me as good fits for the Packers: TE Rob Housler and (assuming he's granted his release) WR Andre Johnson.

Everyone's drooling over Julius Thomas, but watch college tape and Housler is every bit as athletic. He played the past couple of seasons in a Bruce Arians offense, which treats pass-catching tight ends like feral cats, so he won't fetch nearly as many millions.

As for Johnson? It's clear that Thompson, like his mentor Wolf, never forgets the guys who have first-round talent. I've read speculation that Johnson wants to go to a contender and knows he won't break the bank at his age. It's not like he's lost it; he got 900-some yards in 2014 from thrift-shop-level QBs and 130+ in his final game. If Cobb departs, that would leave an opening for a veteran while Adams, etc., continue to develop.

Offline Eric

• Second String
Re: Value shopping: Two FA targets
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 01:53:46 PM »
Like Housler, but I'll pass on Johnson.  My two guys aren't bargain/value shopping.

I would go after Dan Williams (DT) and Derrick Morgan (OLB).

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 03:09:03 PM »
Offensively, at least, two guys really jump out to me as good fits for the Packers: TE Rob Housler and (assuming he's granted his release) WR Andre Johnson.

Everyone's drooling over Julius Thomas, but watch college tape and Housler is every bit as athletic. He played the past couple of seasons in a Bruce Arians offense, which treats pass-catching tight ends like feral cats, so he won't fetch nearly as many millions.

You're correct on Arians system, but Housler just isn't very good.  I live in Phoenix and they've been calling for his release for the better part of two years to go with the likes of Jake Ballard and co.  I like Housler coming out of college, but he's been disappointing

Online SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 06:45:33 PM »
Johnson doesn't fill the hole left by Cobb.  We're still left without a slot WR. 

I think Johnson could find a team with a better chance at SB that will spend more money.  I could easily see him in New England or Seattle.
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline ebterp

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 12:24:33 PM »
Sounds like Bears are shopping Marshall...boy pairing him with Jordy would be nasty...I know there is bad press there but can't deny the talent..guy plays injured and seemed like he tried to motivate that team last year...

EB

Offline philepps85

• All Pro
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 01:14:43 PM »
I dunno, I lump Marshall in with Harvin. Once a guy's act has worn thin on three different teams, it's definitely not an aberration. Probably best to steer clear.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 02:09:06 PM »
I dunno, I lump Marshall in with Harvin. Once a guy's act has worn thin on three different teams, it's definitely not an aberration. Probably best to steer clear.

Hard to say his act in Chicago has worn thin. The franchise is going through a rebuilding phase and aging players seldom fit what they want. They went from a perennial playoff contender to drafting in the top 10. Defense is atrocious and their offense is basically in shambles. Marshall looked like he pulled his act together and became a leader for them as well as one of the most productive WRs in the NFL.

Brandon Marshall is far from being in the same league as Harvin on character issues.

I'd be all for Andre Johnson. The guy is a beast and works extremely hard. If Cobb leaves, I think Adams' best chance at developing is starting and being an 80+ catch WR because he was right on the cusp last year.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 02:17:47 PM by claymaker »

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 02:36:44 PM »
Johnson would be a great acquisition, and is a legit red zone threat.  I'd definitely be on board with that if Cobb leaves.

Online Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 03:02:01 PM »
Johnson actually hasn't produced much in the red zone, even in Houston's better offensive years. Some of that is a result of his quarterbacks and the offense they run, but in the Texans games I've watched he doesn't seem like much of a RZ threat.

I doubt we go after Marshall, but I do like him. I think his "character issues" are blown out of proportion in part because he's one of the rare players who isn't afraid to speak openly. I could see TT asking Peppers' opinion of him.

Dwayne Bowe is either getting traded or released. Now there's a guy who might want a chance at playing with a real QB.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 03:25:28 PM »
Johnson actually hasn't produced much in the red zone, even in Houston's better offensive years. Some of that is a result of his quarterbacks and the offense they run, but in the Texans games I've watched he doesn't seem like much of a RZ threat.

I doubt we go after Marshall, but I do like him. I think his "character issues" are blown out of proportion in part because he's one of the rare players who isn't afraid to speak openly. I could see TT asking Peppers' opinion of him.

Dwayne Bowe is either getting traded or released. Now there's a guy who might want a chance at playing with a real QB.

Its tough to judge veteran players that have hit the "downturn" mark or have some intangible "issues" associated with them.
For no known reason, I feel Johnson is the most "past tense" in terms of projected production vs. potential outlay. Marshall's a warrior - but CHI's not going to give him up cheap and we dont need to be giving players / draft picks away (especially draft picks) to a Division rival we play twice a year - and how in the hell can we judge Bowe? I mean seriously. The guy didn't pull down a TD all last year - and I certainly could be mistaken - but dont think injury was a problem.

Released and cheap? I'd consider......HA! Shit I dont know! Probably Marshall.

I want Cobb - but realize we could lose him - and that podcast I posted last night from JSOnline was good in so much as it pointed out Thompsons habit of letting the "big money" period subside. The heavy hitter FA's either get gobbled up for huge sums - or the bottom falls out and demands lower. He waits until the market settles.

Then again - GB's never been a sought after destination for FA's - so its all a bunch of dreams and chatter at this point. 

« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 03:27:10 PM by Leader »

Online Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 08:09:26 AM »

Its tough to judge veteran players that have hit the "downturn" mark or have some intangible "issues" associated with them.
For no known reason, I feel Johnson is the most "past tense" in terms of projected production vs. potential outlay. Marshall's a warrior - but CHI's not going to give him up cheap and we dont need to be giving players / draft picks away (especially draft picks) to a Division rival we play twice a year - and how in the hell can we judge Bowe? I mean seriously. The guy didn't pull down a TD all last year - and I certainly could be mistaken - but dont think injury was a problem.

I want Cobb - but realize we could lose him - and that podcast I posted last night from JSOnline was good in so much as it pointed out Thompsons habit of letting the "big money" period subside. The heavy hitter FA's either get gobbled up for huge sums - or the bottom falls out and demands lower. He waits until the market settles.

Then again - GB's never been a sought after destination for FA's - so its all a bunch of dreams and chatter at this point.

Can we really say GB isn't a sought after destination for FAs when Ted doesn't seem to pursue many of them?  More seasoned veteran FAs like a guy like Peppers might find GB attractive if they are looking for a shot at jewelry. 

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 08:21:12 AM »

Can we really say GB isn't a sought after destination for FAs when Ted doesn't seem to pursue many of them?  More seasoned veteran FAs like a guy like Peppers might find GB attractive if they are looking for a shot at jewelry. 

A good question / point and I'll admit I didn't reach it thru scientific study. Although TT may have a disciplined approach to player procurement, I've read over the years of various FA's approached to come to GB who for whatever true & specific reason have declined. Be it a reluctant or lowball offer or player preference for higher salary or better destination - there's not solid evidence. But, I think it fair to say that a general outline has been generated that indicates FA's (and alike) aren't rushing to GB.

Now - the team stunk for a number of years - so the "I'll pass" response is understandable. Plus, GB being one of (if not the) smallest market perhaps players (or their Agents)  figured more $$$ could be gleaned elsewhere. Dont truly know and cant really say...but have a general feeling about it.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 03:23:45 PM »
From NFL.com  :

Best free-agent bargains

Mark Ingram, RB, New Orleans Saints
Jordan Cameron, TE, Cleveland Browns
Dan Williams, DT, Arizona Cardinals
Ryan Mathews, RB, San Diego Chargers
Brandon Graham, pass rusher, Philadelphia Eagle
Brooks Reed, LB, Houston Texans
Roy Helu, RB, Washington Redskins
C.J. Spiller, RB, Buffalo Bills
Jabaal Sheard, DE, Cleveland Browns
Stevan Ridley, RB, New England Patriots
O'Brien Schofield, DE, Seattle Seahawks
Rob Housler, TE, Arizona Cardinals

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000476839/article/best-freeagent-bargains

Just off the top, I wouldn't mind swapping DuJuan Harris for Helu - who I think could be just what the doctor ordered for a pass catching RB. No injury concerns that I'm aware of and he's both a good receiver and blocker. Instant production at that spot. Would be a nice add to our offensive package....

And just for the hell of it, I'll include the Helu writeup:
"Stuck behind Alfred Morris in Washington, Helu could be a gem as a bottom-tier free agent back in a stocked market and draft class. Helu is a one-cut runner who excels in the passing game. He averaged a whopping 11.7 yards per catch and was second in the NFL yards per route run, per Pro Football Focus. Helu is a tackle-breaker who is more elusive than he appears at 215 pounds. His lack of touches means he's fresh and could be set to carry the load. Don't be shocked if Helu has a 2014 Justin Forsett-type breakout season in the right system"

« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 03:28:41 PM by Leader »

Offline Zyvlyn

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 03:41:57 PM »
From NFL.com  :

Best free-agent bargains

Mark Ingram, RB, New Orleans Saints
Jordan Cameron, TE, Cleveland Browns
Dan Williams, DT, Arizona Cardinals
Ryan Mathews, RB, San Diego Chargers
Brandon Graham, pass rusher, Philadelphia Eagle
Brooks Reed, LB, Houston Texans
Roy Helu, RB, Washington Redskins
C.J. Spiller, RB, Buffalo Bills
Jabaal Sheard, DE, Cleveland Browns
Stevan Ridley, RB, New England Patriots
O'Brien Schofield, DE, Seattle Seahawks
Rob Housler, TE, Arizona Cardinals

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000476839/article/best-freeagent-bargains

Just off the top, I wouldn't mind swapping DuJuan Harris for Helu - who I think could be just what the doctor ordered for a pass catching RB. No injury concerns that I'm aware of and he's both a good receiver and blocker. Instant production at that spot. Would be a nice add to our offensive package....

"Stuck behind Alfred Morris in Washington, Helu could be a gem as a bottom-tier free agent back in a stocked market and draft class. Helu is a one-cut runner who excels in the passing game. He averaged a whopping 11.7 yards per catch and was second in the NFL yards per route run, per Pro Football Focus. Helu is a tackle-breaker who is more elusive than he appears at 215 pounds. His lack of touches means he's fresh and could be set to carry the load. Don't be shocked if Helu has a 2014 Justin Forsett-type breakout season in the right system"

That's what I've been hoping for all offseason.  Totally agree.

Offline philepps85

• All Pro
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 11:41:37 PM »

Ooh, yeah ... didn't realize Helu was a free agent. Good call. They really need a slippery passing back.