October 20, 2017, 04:41:13 PM

Author Topic: Suh is Going to Miami  (Read 4617 times)

Offline marklawrence

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
Re: Suh is Going to Miami
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 09:29:48 AM »
In order to match the dolphins offer, the lions would have had to pay him $5m more and the raiders would have had to pay him $10m more due to state income tax.
They say you judge a man by his enemies. Well, I'm Deplorable! And Proud of it!

Online Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 01:32:35 PM »
In order to match the dolphins offer, the lions would have had to pay him $5m more and the raiders would have had to pay him $10m more due to state income tax.

Yes can you imagine all the players that would go to Wyoming if they had a team there?

Nevermind I've been through there before...........

Offline ChicagoPackerFan

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2015, 02:48:52 PM »
To much money for anyone other then a elite or upward trending QB.

I would spread the money out more.

Offline marklawrence

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 04:14:41 PM »

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2015, 08:42:15 PM »
For the record, Wake and Suh does not equal Suh and McCoy.

I said inside, A gap pressure.

Wake is an outside rusher.

They will have inside outside pressure with him and Suh.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2015, 10:33:09 PM »
Just saw this at PFT and thought I'd share. Miami is crazy. Totally nuts. IMO.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/12/suh-slated-to-have-massive-cap-number-in-2016/

Is he worth it? Absolutely not. Again, this is franchise QB money.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2015, 09:01:54 AM »
Just saw this at PFT and thought I'd share. Miami is crazy. Totally nuts. IMO.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/12/suh-slated-to-have-massive-cap-number-in-2016/

Is he worth it? Absolutely not. Again, this is franchise QB money.

Hard saying, thats a ton of money, BUT its happened before.  In 1993, we made a 32 year old Reggie White the 3rd highest paid player in the NFL.  Only HOF QBs Elway and Marino were making more.  I'm not saying it will work out the same but it worked for us.  It's crazy, Suh and Reg had the same agent.
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline marklawrence

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2015, 11:12:02 AM »
Suh is going to wreck the dolphin's cap for years.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2015, 11:35:00 AM »
Suh is going to wreck the dolphin's cap for years.

Thanks for the info. Still nuts, IMO.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2015, 11:40:31 AM »
Miami takes a hit on the CAP side of things but it will be interesting to see what affect it has on the Dolphins overall bottom line. Jersey, season ticket sales, boxes, etc. could end up making them a lot of money over the course of the contract.
“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” -V. Lombardi

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2015, 02:36:54 PM »
Crazy, crazy offseason.   Now with the addition of Kenny Stills from NO (for a soon to be cut linebacker making 8+mil!?) there are strong rumors Miami and Minny have been discussing a Wallace for AP swap and several other teams are ramping up discussions for Wallace and his inflated salary.  This is one of the most entertaining offseasons I can remember and it's still a long 2 months away from the draft.

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2015, 10:05:31 PM »
Will sign a 6 year, $114 million deal with $60 million guarnateed. Detroit just took a hit to their D:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12444126/ndamukong-suh-sign-6-year-114-million-deal-miami-dolphins

I just dont think a DT, no matter how good he is, is worth that kind of money.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2015, 05:05:38 AM »
Will sign a 6 year, $114 million deal with $60 million guarnateed. Detroit just took a hit to their D:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12444126/ndamukong-suh-sign-6-year-114-million-deal-miami-dolphins

I just dont think a DT, no matter how good he is, is worth that kind of money.

Agreed. Its an interesting phenomenon. What with the CAP system / increases and league mandates that teams spend a fixed % on salaries - we're seeing (or have seen depending on your age and attention span) a reorientation of player position / impact + performance versus salary. I agree....a DT can be very influential to defense's success - but I'm hard pressed to believe its a position that puts a team over the top. Definitely would love to have one with impact - but is he worth the same (or more) than a QB? Thats where I say no.

This will (and has) impacted a teams ability to do business - especially in a time of CAP increases. Getting players to agree to extensions has become problematic. Granted, careers are short and injury always lurks - but its the approach of FA that kicks a players salary increases into high gear.  Look at the CB position this year for example. Mr. Revis has apparently re-written the CB salary ranges and we saw any number of decent players (but nothing more) taking considerable strides towards better bank accounts.

Its the market system - supply + demand - at its finest. Or worst. Depends which areas of the check your name appears on.

So younger fans will know only the 8-12M CB - the 15-20M QB - and upward over time I guess. Me? I still see the CB's running just as fast - missing and making as many tackles as in the past. Well, somewhat faster due to technology and training methods....but you get the idea  :) 

Online Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2015, 10:05:29 AM »
There's really no comparison between free agency now and when free agency first rolled out with Reggie White. Ron Wolf said so himself. This Era in football is all about the franchise QB. That's why the position pulls down so much of the cap. It's the most important position on the field. Overpaying other spots just to land a big name isn't sustainable in this iteration of football. If you want to be honest with yourself, comparing the two eras just doesn't work, intellectually or logically.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2015, 11:52:35 AM »
Some interesting comments from John Elway. Not "Suh" specific - but in keeping with the discussion taking place regards FA salaries and alike:

"I think what we’re really seeing this year is the idea of what the CBA [collective bargaining agreement] was meant to be and that was get more cash into the veterans’ hands,’’ Elway said. “Look at the wage scale and all that money is cycling through to the veterans. [It’s] a little hard to get used to, but that’s what the NFL is about now. [Teams] do that with more confidence, knowing what they’re getting. ... You’re seeing teams with more money now ... so they are able to put more money out there for veteran they know what they can do.’’

"You just kind of have to wrap your head around it,’’ Elway said. “How you looked at different positions, what you would pay a guard, what you would pay guys compared to before, what the framework of the contracts were, you have to see where the market is and how it changes. You stick to your budget and what you want to do, but the market is different than it was and you have to understand that and work in that framework. And there’s no question it’s different.’’

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflfreeagency