December 15, 2017, 08:13:47 AM

Author Topic: Sample of ILB Free Agent Available...  (Read 3860 times)

Offline B

• HOF Member
Sample of ILB Free Agent Available...
« on: March 17, 2015, 11:26:50 PM »
1. Rolando McClain, (25) Dallas; off field issues

2. Mason Foster, (26) Tampa Bay;

3. Brandon Spikes, 27, Buffalo;

4. Casey Matthews, 25, Philly; Brothers in Green and Gold?

5. Jason Trusnik, 30, Miami;

6. Akeem Dent, 27, Hou;

7. Colin McCarthy, 26, Tenn; talented kid who has been oft bitten by injury bug
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Ellis269

• HOF Member
Re: Sample of ILB Free Agent Available...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 11:52:34 PM »
I wouldn't mind Casey Matthews on a cheap contract. He's been a solid reserve and special teams player. He can fill Brad Jones' old role.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 11:55:42 PM »
I like Colin McCarthy myself. Fits the role as a coverage LB and hes young. Brandon Spikes would be interesting, but he'd be a 2 down defender. Considering how much Capers uses sub packages his role would be very limited and probably just wasted money and roster spot.

Offline Ellis269

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 12:16:06 AM »
I like Mason Foster too. Liked him back in the draft, and think he'd be a good young vet to bring in to compete inside.

Offline WTX_Cheese

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 09:23:21 AM »
I like Mason Foster too. Liked him back in the draft, and think he'd be a good young vet to bring in to compete inside.

I agree, I think Foster is pretty intriguing. The last I heard he was talking to Chicago, but they were pretty far apart on a contract.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 09:16:09 AM »
Boy, there isn't much there to choose from, is there?  I suspect Ted will use the draft instead here.

Offline philepps85

• All Pro
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 10:18:12 PM »
McClain, Spikes, and Dent are run stoppers only. Those kinds of guys seem like matchup dreams for creative offenses. Not sure about Foster in coverage.

McCarthy, to me, is the type of player worth taking a risk on. Minimal investment, high reward. Might add Jacquian Williams to the list, too.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 12:52:56 PM »
McCarthy and Foster seem the best two on the list.  They can cover a bit.

McLain and Spikes are very good run stoppers only.

But if the price is too high, TT will go the usual draft route.

The problem is that if we cannot get someone who can play immediately, then I think CM 3 starts at one spot.  Which is fine with me.  And we also have Barrington and Bradford to hopefully come around and at least be stop gaps.  But the thing is I am OK with Perry and Peppers on the outside.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 06:11:37 PM »
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein
#Bears add fomer #Bucs LB Mason Foster on a 1-year contract

ESPN : "The Chicago Bears agreed to terms Tuesday with former Tampa Bay Buccaneers linebacker Mason Foster on a one-year deal, according to his agent, Steve Carric. Former Buccaneers LB Mason Foster has agreed to a one-year deal with the Bears, sources say.
A Bears' target from the start of free agency, Foster came into the period somewhat under the radar after missing six games in 2014 due to injury. The sides expressed mutual interest early in the free-agent signing period, with Foster believing Chicago's system, led by defensive coordinator Vic Fangio, would be the best fit for his talents"

ESPN: "The Minnesota Vikings announced Tuesday that they had agreed to terms with linebacker Casey Matthews and safety Taylor Mays.
Terms of the deals were not disclosed. Casey Matthews started 10 games at linebacker for the Eagles in 2014, more than he had in his previous three seasons combined. "It's great to be here," Matthews told the team's website. "I'm looking forward to a new opportunity and a new chapter in my life." The Vikings are in the market for a new starting middle linebacker after Jasper Brinkley signed a two-year deal with the Dallas Cowboys earlier this month. Matthews has more NFL starting experience at an inside linebacker position than anyone else on the Vikings' current roster, and figures to be in the hunt for playing time in the middle"

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 06:17:34 PM by Leader »

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 09:13:02 PM »
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein
#Bears add fomer #Bucs LB Mason Foster on a 1-year contract

ESPN : "The Chicago Bears agreed to terms Tuesday with former Tampa Bay Buccaneers linebacker Mason Foster on a one-year deal, according to his agent, Steve Carric. Former Buccaneers LB Mason Foster has agreed to a one-year deal with the Bears, sources say.
A Bears' target from the start of free agency, Foster came into the period somewhat under the radar after missing six games in 2014 due to injury. The sides expressed mutual interest early in the free-agent signing period, with Foster believing Chicago's system, led by defensive coordinator Vic Fangio, would be the best fit for his talents"

ESPN: "The Minnesota Vikings announced Tuesday that they had agreed to terms with linebacker Casey Matthews and safety Taylor Mays.
Terms of the deals were not disclosed. Casey Matthews started 10 games at linebacker for the Eagles in 2014, more than he had in his previous three seasons combined. "It's great to be here," Matthews told the team's website. "I'm looking forward to a new opportunity and a new chapter in my life." The Vikings are in the market for a new starting middle linebacker after Jasper Brinkley signed a two-year deal with the Dallas Cowboys earlier this month. Matthews has more NFL starting experience at an inside linebacker position than anyone else on the Vikings' current roster, and figures to be in the hunt for playing time in the middle"

Cannot say I saw Foster play much, but from watching Casey Matthews I am happy Vikings took him and not Packers and PFF did not have him rated very well.  Actually both Foster and Matthews were rated below Barrington and Lattimore at PFF.

Offline Divot

• All Pro
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 03:29:55 PM »
Let's go after McClain.  Nothing to lose now that FA is so far along.....meaning it wouldn't cost us a ton.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 06:31:51 AM »
What is the deal with McClain?  Is it that Dallas doesn't have the cap room, or is his off the field stuff so bad that no one want to risk anything despite the year he had last year?
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 09:42:08 AM »
Dont know anything about Georgia's (?) arson laws - but the guys house was torched intentionally. Outside the fact you dont know if he's gonna show on any given Sunday - he could get entangled in that. Somebody know the details of the matter? Case closed or still under investigation?

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 11:48:13 AM »
Dont know anything about Georgia's (?) arson laws - but the guys house was torched intentionally. Outside the fact you dont know if he's gonna show on any given Sunday - he could get entangled in that. Somebody know the details of the matter? Case closed or still under investigation?

Alabama. And,..........it's still an open investigation. But is currently "inactive".

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2015/03/arson-investigation-into-fire-that-destroyed-dallas-cowboys-lb-rolando-mcclains-home-now-inactive.html/

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2015/02/arson_to_blame_in_fire_that_de.html

« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 11:55:34 AM by dannobanano »